Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
THanks for the info guys. I probably aint gunner get what I want from one bike then. Im just coming into bikes really, well over the past year or so. Ive got a lot to learn tbh.

What bike style is the Cove Stiffee? How much we talknig for one like that ? Its a very nice bike indeed.

Im not bothered about full sus, I just want a solid bike that aint gunner fall to bits when I give it some punishment. Sadly my Claud Butler has started to do so. Need a new back wheel rim and intertube. (Hit a ditch coming down a hill at around 30mph) Left a nice dint in the rim and my intertube exploded. New left pedal arm and crank shaft is needed too. Hit a rock, and kinda bent the pedal arm. Still can ride it but its got abit of a wobble to it :p

I'l sign up to them sites suggested and have a look around.

I will probs need some info about the type of bike best for me etc. There is a local bike shop which is brilliant, superb customer service and have some very nice bikes in there. Just need an idea of what to look out for really.

Soldato
The Stiffee's a freeride bike and is pretty solid. Probably best to go to your local bike shops and try different types of bikes out and see which ones suit you best.

Soldato
That Cove pictured would set you back £1500 maybe more.

If you can be specific about what riding you prefer then perhaps we can help. Finding a bike that you can ride up and down hills, get up to good speeds on, dirt jump and ride trials is going to me more or less impossible.

The hardtails pictured above and others like them will be as close as you can get to a do everything bike, but as Breamy says they're heavier than average so uphill/distance might not be too much fun, but if you want head into the woods and mess about riding trails and jumping around then you could do a lot worse.

Soldato
Big Chris said:
That Cove pictured would set you back £1500 maybe more.

If you can be specific about what riding you prefer then perhaps we can help. Finding a bike that you can ride up and down hills, get up to good speeds on, dirt jump and ride trials is going to me more or less impossible.

The hardtails pictured above and others like them will be as close as you can get to a do everything bike, but as Breamy says they're heavier than average so uphill/distance might not be too much fun, but if you want head into the woods and mess about riding trails and jumping around then you could do a lot worse.

Ive been thinking, a hardtail bike like the ones posted above are the ones like I would be after. Its just trying to find one in my price range tbh.

£450-£500 max I got to spend. THere are a lot of bikes out there. This is the hard part. Im unsure about makes and models. I dont want to get a crap bike by just looking at the price tag and saying that must be good as its £475, but it maybe a pile of junk...

Soldato
Bennah said:
Ive been thinking, a hardtail bike like the ones posted above are the ones like I would be after. Its just trying to find one in my price range tbh.

£450-£500 max I got to spend. THere are a lot of bikes out there. This is the hard part. Im unsure about makes and models. I dont want to get a crap bike by just looking at the price tag and saying that must be good as its £475, but it maybe a pile of junk...

Check out the Specialized P series. They can be adapted to most styles of riding, within your budget, and can take some abuse.

Soldato
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06PSeries&bikeTab=techspec

Is that what you mean?

Ive gone off the idea off a jump bike now tbh. Something low to the ground aint rocking my boat now. I like the hardtails like the Cove Stiffee. The style of the frame, is more up my street. All I need to do, is to find a bike like that but under £500. Is it possible though is the question.

Anyways, I'l get some pics of my Alpina in a sec, after all it is a Bike pics thread and not a 'Bennah wanting a new bike thread' lol.

Soldato
Those are the ones. You can hit some light free ride on them. Nice and quick on north shore too.

I cant think of a lot else in your budget. Most frames run more than the whole bike budget :p

Soldato
My ride for the last 11 months. Not the best in the world but its mine. Its taken a lot of abuse.

P2210084.jpg

P2210085.jpg

P2210086.jpg

Wanting something similar but stronger, so I can thrash it around a bit without it breaking on me ;)

Soldato
Benneh, just had a thought, check out some of the Marin Trail series. They are pretty beefy hardtails for aggressive riding and should take most of what you can throw at them. Start at around £450.

Soldato
Im after a new bike at the moment, i was looking at the carrera range in halfords. One model for around 300 quid, seemed really good with a decent specification.

Anyone used one before?

Soldato
bcjames said:
Benneh, just had a thought, check out some of the Marin Trail series. They are pretty beefy hardtails for aggressive riding and should take most of what you can throw at them. Start at around £450.

Thanks. Will have a look at them.

I think my best bet would be to say that Im after a very strong hardtail when I go to buy a new bike. I will look out for which looks the best bikes and post them on here to ask what you guys think of them. You all, know what your talking about bikes so you should be able to pick the best one(s) out of the selection.

Anyways, have you noticed the nice dint in my back rim? Thats hitting a ditch in the road going a bit too fast down a hill :( My intertube blew when it happened, good job I didnt come off.

Oh and one last thing. Is there a real difference between normal discs and hydraulic discs?

Thanks.

Soldato
If you want something strong, DMRs and Atomlabs are pretty strong and low priced, Santa Cruz Jackal should be stong too but will be more expensive. (Only frames though). As for rims, I'd recommend Mavic 117s as they're pretty invincible and are low priced. I'd view hydraulic discs as normal discs.

Soldato
The rear caliper is black though, which would suggest the model before the C2, called the Sport I think, it wasn't until the C2 that the caliper came in silver. The front/right lever looks longer than the Pro one which came with the C2s too.

Anyway... got my new bike today, pretty chuffed with it seeing as it was down from £675 to £525 :). Am getting some Hope Minis and new SPDs this weekend so will get some pics for you then, but in the meantime it looks something like this:

Associate
They are indeed c2s on the front and rear, not sure why the rear looks black on that pic as its silver just like the front. As for the the front levers they are the Sport i think, although its going back a bit so i could be wrong. I prefer longer levers and i reckon the c2 lever was two finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom