Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
BeaumonT said:
They are indeed c2s on the front and rear, not sure why the rear looks black on that pic as its silver just like the front. As for the the front levers they are the Sport i think, although its going back a bit so i could be wrong. I prefer longer levers and i reckon the c2 lever was two finger.
It looks very black to me :confused: .

The C2 lever was kinda short yeah, but if anything it was one finger, as most levers are or at least should be. The most effective grip should be just your index finder resting on the end of the lever ready for braking with the others around the bars/grips for maximun control over the bike. Not only that, but any well set up v-brake or disc won't need more than one finger to lock the wheel.

Associate
Big Chris said:
The C2 lever was kinda short yeah, but if anything it was one finger, as most levers are or at least should be. The most effective grip should be just your index finder resting on the end of the lever ready for braking with the others around the bars/grips for maximun control over the bike. Not only that, but any well set up v-brake or disc won't need more than one finger to lock the wheel.

I use one finger i just prefer the longer lever, its just a personal choice.

Associate
Heres my bike for getting about:

kona-firemountain.jpg

And then my bike for takin a few hits:

kona-coiler.jpg

Soldato
Id really like a Coiler. I think it fits my need for a little big bike. Although id like an FSR or something for the long rides with rear sus next.

fit.jpg

My Fit.

P3290122.jpg

My XC bike, GT Avalanche 0.5 frame, Maz Z3, full deore groupset, Mavic, Easton.

Last edited:
Associate
that kona coiler looks ace and is an absolute bargain chucky, was looking at one of those as a second bike to my blast

havent ridden a full susser before. how much do they differ from hardtail bikes and what are the main advantages and disadvantages of full sus??

Associate
They do actually differ a fair bit. Its a common problem with ppl who have never ridden a full susser before.

Advantages are obvious :- More speed over bumpy trails, able to handle (in some cases not all) bigger hits, generally a better ride in terms of comfort (IMO).

Disvantages :- More expensive, more servicing needed, more things to go wrong or to break :p, On older (cheaper) Full sussers 'Bob' is apparent.

All i can think of at this time of the morning...

-Vinny- :)

Soldato
Keeps your rear wheel down too! I love how light and stiff my hardtail rear end is, but going round my local trail, particually the first uphill, every single root I hit has my rear end up and my rear wheel spinning.

Soldato
ok here's my hunk o junk that i bought today from halfords. cost me 300 notes.....

picture00017lv.jpg

what puzzles me about this bike is that i can not find a single reference to it on the web. it's a gt aggressor 1 but this isn't listed anywhere else with the same components i have on mine. it has the following....

6061 alu frame
rock shox judy tt
deore 27 speed, deore shifters
avid? brake levers
brakes?
tioga factory xc tyres
fsa alpha drive cranks
pedals?
gt saddle

i just hope it's worth what i paid for it...... :)

Soldato
bcjames said:
That top tube looks reproduction-stoppingly high though :eek:

yup. i tried asking the oik in the shop what would be suitable for my height but he just gave me a vacant look. i just picked the 20in frame. :eek: :p i'm 6'1" and if i'm careful i can just about stand with both feet flat on the floor.... :D

Associate
Agreee with James, top tube looks dangerously high !

Spec looks fairly decent for the ££ paid. Good luck with the top tube tho, id suggest wearing a cricket box just incase !

-Vinny-

Soldato
That looks bang on for 300 notes Marc, you'd be hard pushed to find better value, and GT have been making bikes for yonks so you've got a good frame there too.

At 6'1 you could've got away with a 19" frame, but the kid really should've known how to size a bike for someone. Basically, when sat on the saddle the ball of your left foot should be able to touch the ground without tilting the bike to the side and the ball of your right foot should be on the drive side pedal at the bottom of the crank rotation with the leg bent slightly at the knee. Also, you shouldn't have to lean too far forward so you're craning your neck to see forward. If you have to raise/lower the saddle too much to achieve this then you have the wrong size.

Soldato
Big Chris said:
That looks bang on for 300 notes Marc, you'd be hard pushed to find better value, and GT have been making bikes for yonks so you've got a good frame there too.

At 6'1 you could've got away with a 19" frame, but the kid really should've known how to size a bike for someone. Basically, when sat on the saddle the ball of your left foot should be able to touch the ground without tilting the bike to the side and the ball of your right foot should be on the drive side pedal at the bottom of the crank rotation with the leg bent slightly at the knee. Also, you shouldn't have to lean too far forward so you're craning your neck to see forward. If you have to raise/lower the saddle too much to achieve this then you have the wrong size.

i probably would have picked a gt over most brands as the last bike i had, albeit over 10 years ago, was also a gt. it was a timberline given to me by a friend as he had trashed it and couldn't be bothered to fix it up. i just bought a new deraillieur (sp) and a new wheel and it was good to go. even though i've never known anything about bikes, i knew back then that gt were a good brand.

also i'm glad i took your advice about avoiding disk brakes in this price range. by doing so i got a lot more bike for my money. thanks. :cool:

about the frame size, yup it is too big. but i can live with it. i'll just have to be careful. i have the saddle set fairly low.... :p

and last of all, i really had forgotten just how much hard work it is to ride a bike. it's ******* knackering.... still that's the reason i got it - to get a little bit fitter. i really have tended to avoid exercise at all costs for the last few years. once i build up my stamina by riding round town for a few weeks/months, i then have the cotswold hills at my disposal. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
marc2003 said:
...i really had forgotten just how much hard work it is to ride a bike. it's ******* knackering.... still that's the reason i got it - to get a little bit fitter. i really have tended to avoid exercise at all costs for the last few years. once i build up my stamina by riding round town for a few weeks/months, i then have the cotswold hills at my disposal. :D
hehe, I know what you mean. I've just bought a new bike (pics to follow shortly), my first in 3 years and I was knackered after the first ride! As you say though I'm going to ride it as much as possible, to work and at weekends too.

I've been looking for some rides a bit further afield too, there some good riding to be had in the Cotswolds then? I'm not too far away in Stratford.

Soldato
Big Chris said:
there some good riding to be had in the Cotswolds then?

i have no idea really.... :p i just know that whichever way you go out of cheltenham on road, it's pretty much guaranteed that there is a big hill to climb - with the possible exception of cycling towards gloucester but i don't want to go there..... :D

i really have no clue about off-road. i guess there must be some trails. something to look for in the future me thinks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom