Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato

They look like cheap nasty trainers. No doubt they are awesome to ride in but why cant Five Ten make shoes that look good.
The old Impacts look better imo

Come on bike overlords, make some suspension forks and stuff so I can get a fatty for everything! I'd love to have one with fat wheels, but be able to chuck some standard wheels in for decent weather :)

Here you go 10 inches enough travel for you :p
s780_WHAT_THE_Santa_Cruz_V10_Fat_Bike.jpg

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I'm not say Smorgasbord are the best, far from it. But the guy mentioned a set of tyres for £30, and the Smorgasbord have got to be up there at the very least with them.

If he'd not said the £30, is have recommended a set of Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic from the Germans. HD/NN are my favourite combo, and is what I'll be going back to when these tyres have given up. Until then though, I'm loving the fact these tyres perform brilliantly for their price.

Fair enough, though that doesn't detract from the fact you own these and as a biking enthusiast, you should be shot :)

I've got Eskars and only recently realised how good they are (since getting faster, obviously) they just grip, and when they do run out of grip they seem to do it quite progressively. Running pretty high pressures too.

Definitely a good tyres, I ran mine with a purgatory up front for dry conditions, and when things got a bit more damp I had the Purgatory in the rear and the Butcher SP up front.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair enough, though that doesn't detract from the fact you own these and as a biking enthusiast, you should be shot.

Haha! I may be a biking enthusiast, but I'm a really rubbish rider! I could use High Rollers, but I prefer these! Not that it matters though, I get the feeling I'm not quick enough to really test many, if any tyres! :p

Soldato
Another vote here for Specialized tyres, I currently run a Purgatory control 2.2 up front, and a Captain 2.2 on the back - works really well, although in really slippery mud the Captain can wheelspin a bit, but it's pretty rare.

I've also used Eskar's extensively, as they came as standard on both of my Specialized Pitchs', although I find they work better as a rear than a front. In winter, just point the tread in the other direction for more grip. :)

Hitlist - you're probably better off getting a couple of decent tyres now, then when you sell the bike just pop the older tyres on it, and keep whatever you've bought. See if you can get something that'll suit either your riding type, or something that'll be the opposite of whatever's on the next bike you're getting.

Soldato
Chaps, am looking at a Voodoo MTB on Ebay with a 20' frame. I am 5'8. It won't be too big will it? I have been riding a Speciaized Stumpjumper Comp I have borrowed but have no ide of the frame size on it and can't get to it bfore the auction ends.

Soldato
If anyone is in need of some forks or a rear mech.

I have a pair of RS Revs RL currently set at 140mm and a Shimano Zee rear mech that's only seen 4 proper rides.

Decided to stick with 2x10 so got a mech that can take the slack on a granny ring.

Associate
Anyone got any riding for the bank holiday weekend planned? Apart from Friday the weather looks good.

I had a big off last Wednesday, left shoulder subluxation, sprained wrist, and most of the skin shredded off my forearm. Serves me right for not going long sleeved. The bike was fine!

Much better now though, so Llandegla tomorrow, and somewhere on Saturday. Maybe Coed Y Brenin....

Caporegime
If anyone is in need of some forks or a rear mech.

I have a pair of RS Revs RL currently set at 140mm and a Shimano Zee rear mech that's only seen 4 proper rides.

Decided to stick with 2x10 so got a mech that can take the slack on a granny ring.

Sent you a trust dude :)

Soldato
Anyone got any riding for the bank holiday weekend planned? Apart from Friday the weather looks good.

I had a big off last Wednesday, left shoulder subluxation, sprained wrist, and most of the skin shredded off my forearm. Serves me right for not going long sleeved. The bike was fine!

Much better now though, so Llandegla tomorrow, and somewhere on Saturday. Maybe Coed Y Brenin....

I'm off for the first week of September, 100 mile races each weekend and some riding in between :eek:

Soldato

Working over the weekend so I'll commute on the road bike to work on Friday and Saturday. That'll chalk up 60 odd miles on Strava. Then Sunday when I'm nightshift I plan doing a couple of circuits of my favorite training loop at Auchengean/Kilbean/Craigieburn as I've not managed to get out on the bike at all so need to get the miles in when I can.

Soldato

I'm in London all weekend seeing family/at Notting hill carnival, so I'll have to catch up with my riding next week! :D

Soldato
Today's not been a good day, bikes wise...too much to get into right now.

My Spitfire has also not pitched up, because Banshee decided to not esnd this batch out, given that their 2014 range is coming out at the end of next month...how reliable that release date is... f*ck knows :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom