Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
thinking about it, i guess the chain line from the chainring to the largest rear cog would affect things backpedaling as the derailleur wouldnt be assisting.

but then surely such a poor alignment would increase wear across the chainset?

Soldato
thinking about it, i guess the chain line from the chainring to the largest rear cog would affect things backpedaling as the derailleur wouldnt be assisting.

but then surely such a poor alignment would increase wear across the chainset?
Correct, which is why for a high percentage of your riding, your gear ratio choices should have you in the middle cogs of your cassette.

Soldato
Next MTB roadtrip is in May, down through Virginia hitting a couple of spots and spending a week in North Carolina, hitting all the good stuff around Asheville. Pisgah has some of the best riding in the US http://www.mtbikewnc.com/trailheads/pisgah-national-forest/ :p

Sounds epic - have you done Moab?

Planning on riding a few places in Sweden/Norway this summer. Hafjell, the Norwegian fjords and Are in Sweden are all on the definitely list.

Last edited:
Associate
hey guys, anyone got any tips for jumps? nothing big, im starting small. Is it mostly a mental thing? ive been riding for a while have msot of the basic riding techniques down but when it comes to jumping, even off small kickers i just never feel like im in control enough to really pull up. I pulled up yesterday on a smallish jump and almost landed on an angle so something went wrong on the take off somewhere haha. I just want to have the skill in my arsenal to have a bit more fun on the trails i guess!

Theres a cool table on one of my local trails, with not much risks but i bottle it everytime :( i know thats a mental thing but i feel like if my technique was better i may feel more confident to hit it?

Soldato
Depends on what you're meaning by pulling up.

I'm very far from someone who is decent at jumping, but for the most part - don't pull up. Yanking at the bars to make your bike go up in the air is about the worst thing you can do.

"Pulling up" is an advanced technique and should only really be done when you have the basics covered first. You need to preload before the jump (i.e: crouch low), then push off the lip (move your body upwards by pushing the bike into the takeoff), and then bring your bike up close to your body while in the air.

Also helps tremendously if you have your feet at the same angle as the takeoff of the jump. In other words, imagine riding on flat land - you have your pedals / cranks level with your preferred foot forward. You want to adjust that flat angle, to mimic the angle of the jump.

The very first time I ever went mountain biking, I perfected the "yank at the handlebar like a pre-teenage boy at a bra" technique to make the bike go "up", with great success

1923728_10234554362_8222_n.jpg

1923728_10234684362_6482_n.jpg

ps: Yea, I was Enduro before Enduro was Enduro, because I'm a trendsetter like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom