Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
had a class ride on sunday :p

ended unexpectedly when half way down the hill side our mates rear hayes hfx9 set on fire !!!

never seen black smoke come from a bike before !!!!!

burnt through the rubber seals so his only options where to go face first down a rocky descent or to jump off into some trees and let the bike take the hill on its own.......

i couldnt stop laughing while we trried to shout to him his brake was smoking

so let this be a warning not to use 6" hayes on the back of a 2k DH bike to save some money :p

Soldato
andy8271 said:

ended unexpectedly when half way down the hill side our mates rear hayes hfx9 set on fire !!!

burnt through the rubber seals so his only options where to go face first down a rocky descent or to jump off into some trees and let the bike take the hill on its own.......

so let this be a warning not to use 6" hayes on the back of a 2k DH bike to save some money :p

a bit worrying that i just fitted some Hayes hfx9's on my bike!!! :eek:

Albeit that it's only a £250 bike that i am gradually upgrading!!

Added hfx9 xc on front and rear and also Shimano XT shifters so far.
Frame and fork over next few months dependant on how much useage it gets.

Soldato
booyaka said:

I've just added a Hope m4 to the front and right hand xt shifter, pretty nice upgrade from v's and combo lever/shifter. :)

Soldato
Bunka said:
I've just added a Hope m4 to the front and right hand xt shifter, pretty nice upgrade from v's and combo lever/shifter. :)
me to - gone from combo's & cable discs to Xt shifters and hayes hfx9-xc!!! SOOOO much nicer.

Just need to bloody wind (70mph) and rain to stop for more than 10 mins and can get out riding!!

Soldato
booyaka said:

I think i did the same sort of thing with my front hfx9.....me + my 15 stone mate on a lil hardtail going for it down my street(a big hill) front brake only....right to the bars.....immense heat.......pistons not retracting full and a gay lever feel. Probably fried the piston seals or something.

Ive ordered two brand new saint disk brakes though so i'll see how these go. also getting new grips,hope grip doctors and a headlock. :)

X9 gears coming shortly and then a new frame in january :D

Soldato
Jonny ///M said:
I think i did the same sort of thing with my front hfx9.....me + my 15 stone mate on a lil hardtail going for it down my street(a big hill) front brake only....right to the bars.....immense heat.......pistons not retracting full and a gay lever feel. Probably fried the piston seals or something.

Ive ordered two brand new saint disk brakes though so i'll see how these go. also getting new grips,hope grip doctors and a headlock. :)

X9 gears coming shortly and then a new frame in january :D

Sounds good. I just converted mine to single speed for the winter and just fitted a new front wheel today. Hope Pro 2 laced to a DT SWISS EX 5.1 and double butted spokes. I actually had a deore before and it was getting sticky. The Hope hub is very smooth.

Soldato
Im thinking more along the lines of an on-one grower 7" single pivot.....(but im not sure after riding a "mates" single pivot gary fisher that felt like crap)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15039

OR

A second hand demo 8 or bighit,hopefully the former as i dont like 24" back wheels.

That commencial looks the dogs,the cups to fit 1 1/8th and 1.5",the different rear dropouts and the funky linkage + single pivot. ;)

Soldato
Jonny ///M said:
Im thinking more along the lines of an on-one grower 7" single pivot.....(but im not sure after riding a "mates" single pivot gary fisher that felt like crap)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15039

OR

A second hand demo 8 or bighit,hopefully the former as i dont like 24" back wheels.

That commencial looks the dogs,the cups to fit 1 1/8th and 1.5",the different rear dropouts and the funky linkage + single pivot. ;)

Yeah it is basically a long winded single pivot. The headcup rotates to change the head angle on the commencal.

Associate
andy8271 said:

omg i had those brackes and i'm glad they diddent catch fire on me lol.

Soldato
SpeedFreak said:
Yeah it is basically a long winded single pivot. The headcup rotates to change the head angle on the commencal.

Ah i see ,i thought it was the same as the scott system on my mates high octane where you put thinner or thicker cups in for different sized steerer tubes(i think anyway).

Soldato
Edit: new pic.

2 changes to the Heckler: 07 DHX 5.0 (TFTuned), and Thomson elite layback post.

weescott-Heckler_06_1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom