*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
I don't think i mentioned this, the reason I got started in this weight loss again was because 4 weeks ago I went to get some new trousers, same size as the one I was wearing, 34" and the new pair didn't fit. I thought "same size, it will fit", but it didn't. I was too lazy to go back to swap and knew I had to anyway so I thought just lose weight.

Today I could button it up!

Also, checking in.

Awesome work. I remember i bought some Superdry shorts once at the airport and just grabbed a large and figured they'd be fine. Got to the destination and they were hilariously small, and because i'd bought them at the Airport store i couldn't return/exchange at the Manchester store.
Those things sat in my wardrobe for years before i tried them on one day and they fit, they were also really badly made and the velcro was really scratchy so after all that time they went in the bin!

As of today, i'm going to try and use MFP properly, as i've just had no luck managing myself properly and even after cycling 100 miles last week, i was up this morning vs last week!

Caporegime
Awesome work. I remember i bought some Superdry shorts once at the airport and just grabbed a large and figured they'd be fine. Got to the destination and they were hilariously small, and because i'd bought them at the Airport store i couldn't return/exchange at the Manchester store.
Those things sat in my wardrobe for years before i tried them on one day and they fit, they were also really badly made and the velcro was really scratchy so after all that time they went in the bin!

As of today, i'm going to try and use MFP properly, as i've just had no luck managing myself properly and even after cycling 100 miles last week, i was up this morning vs last week!

I remember last time I was in the 75kg or so I bought a whole new wardrobe, naturally clothes look better when you don't have a belly so I got anything and everything. Some questionable fashion choices, especially now I am older. But there are a few items that I would love to be able to wear again, like I have a few leather jackets that I love. I still have all these clothes and would be great to wear them again.

At one point I was wearing 30" jeans and I even bought a size 29" once, although that didn't last long and gave that pair to a friend who had 10% body fat at the time.

I even had to make a new hole in the leather belt because the smallest notch was still too big, I am actually wearing said belt now…and currently 3 notches up from the smallest hole that I made.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interestingly i do wonder if i need to pay more attention to food macros.

Now i'll caveat this post by saying i'm not obsessive whenever i do use MFP. I'm not going to start weighing out food, i generally estimate but it's a reasonable average and if i'm aiming for 1500kcal a day (with 1/2 exercise calories added back) and i should be on 2500 i figure there's enough wiggle room for a few hundred kcal here and there.

I've never noticed this screen before, but was glancing through. My food entries for yesterday were

Breakfast
Overnight Oats (Oats, semi skimmed milk, chia seeds, raisins)
Pear

Lunch
3x scrambled eggs
4x small frankfurters
Small tortilla wrap

Tea
Sauasage, mash and onion gravy (chicken sausages)

Snacks
10x almonds
handful of crisps (get the big sharer bags here)
SIS Rego drink after an evening bike ride

Now due to the caveat above, these measurements are unlikely to be 100% accurate, but it suggests my diet is fairly high in fat and low in everything else. I guess a lot of that would be due to the eggs, sausages and nuts (I literally just chose an option for "Sausage and Mash" and guessed at 800kcal)

I was trying to avoid too much bread, but i'd have thought the oats and potatoes would be enough carbs for the day. Protein is certainly low, especially considering it's topped up with the SIS Rego drink. Perhaps i need to try and get some kind of drink for a midday meal.

EDIT - Also, obviously this is only 1 day and without any thought into actual food. There's probably other days i have chicken, rice and veg for tea and it's a different chart! Breakfast/Lunch usually stay similar though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Interestingly i do wonder if i need to pay more attention to food macros.
I'm a little bit of both sides. No, it's calories that count / Yes, I try to have protein more than anything else.

I certainly wouldn't allow myself more calories because I was eating more protein. If I need to hit 2,300 for the day, then that's the bottom line and that's what I need to hit. If I've been to the gym in the morning, I might try and get more protein in the morning though.

Soldato
I'm a little bit of both sides. No, it's calories that count / Yes, I try to have protein more than anything else.

I certainly wouldn't allow myself more calories because I was eating more protein. If I need to hit 2,300 for the day, then that's the bottom line and that's what I need to hit. If I've been to the gym in the morning, I might try and get more protein in the morning though.

Oh yeah that has to be the priority but I do wonder if I need to switch some things around occasionally.

Soldato
something i have found out is that to much cardio has a negative effect for me, it ends up making me so hungry ill just eat what cals i used plus maybe more, unless i go into body building diet mind set of starving my self to get lean then thanks but no thanks lol

Soldato
weekend wasn't good with food for me .. i blame the other half hahaha

had heavy gym session on saturday morning which took the life out of me..moved most weight ever..over 10tones - session took almost 2h LOL with warmup ;)

scales this morning showed 222.8lbs so back on track :) 101kg

Soldato
weekend wasn't good with food for me .. i blame the other half hahaha

had heavy gym session on saturday morning which took the life out of me..moved most weight ever..over 10tones - session took almost 2h LOL with warmup ;)

scales this morning showed 222.8lbs so back on track :) 101kg

Feel like i need to use you as my competition buddy! I was 103.5kg this morning. Not seeing much movement at all in the last month despite increased activity. My main issue is the whole "be good for 6 days, then day 7 destroys it all"

I do still think i should've lost "something" by now though which i guess shows how little awareness i have of what i eat. For example, MFP shows 2762kcal for yesterday vs my target of 1500kcal. I didn't really do any exercise and only ~6000steps. Breakfast and Lunch were reasonable at 500-600 per meal, but then i had a pizza for tea (maybe even a bit more since i ate some of the wifes) and half a bottle of red wine.

No snacks throughout the day, but the pizza/wine absolutely destroyed it!

Last edited:
Associate
Feel like i need to use you as my competition buddy! I was 103.5kg this morning. Not seeing much movement at all in the last month despite increased activity. My main issue is the whole "be good for 6 days, then day 7 destroys it all"

I do still think i should've lost "something" by now though which i guess shows how little awareness i have of what i eat. For example, MFP shows 2762kcal for yesterday vs my target of 1500kcal. I didn't really do any exercise and only ~6000steps. Breakfast and Lunch were reasonable at 500-600 per meal, but then i had a pizza for tea (maybe even a bit more since i ate some of the wifes) and half a bottle of red wine.

No snacks throughout the day, but the pizza/wine absolutely destroyed it!
MFP has been instrumental in my weight loss, and I'd definitely recommend weighing most things (especially anything calorie dense, I don't bother with stuff like lettuce) as it's very easy to underestimate calories.

TDEE calculator (always set to sedentary and I never add exercise to my calorie budget) and MFP are the consistent tools that I've used for the last year.

Soldato
Yeah agreed, and i think it'd be much better if i did weigh stuff out. I just know 100% i'm not committed enough and wouldn't carry on with it, as such it makes no sense to start for a few days and then give up entirely. I know myself well enough for that.

At the moment i seem to be in that phase of getting back to lots of cardio and feeling hungry a lot and i just need to find the will power to not snack. I know it's a phase that'll pass. Especially as i'm one of the stupid people who can't just have 2 biscuits as a snack. It's either none or six! Or if i do feel hungry i need to target something that'll fill me up like a Huel drink to remove the cravings of "just one more biscuit"

Last edited:
Associate
I'm the same with biscuits, especially ginger nuts! It's not the most environmentally friendly or economically sensible things to do but I'll buy individually wrapped biscuity things for the week, take one and leave the rest in the cupboard and try not to immediately eat it as I sort of forget that the rest are there.

If my wife wasn't also counting calories I may have given up on weighing stuff myself, being responsible for someone else is quite motivating.

Soldato
I'm the same with biscuits, especially ginger nuts! It's not the most environmentally friendly or economically sensible things to do but I'll buy individually wrapped biscuity things for the week, take one and leave the rest in the cupboard and try not to immediately eat it as I sort of forget that the rest are there.

If my wife wasn't also counting calories I may have given up on weighing stuff myself, being responsible for someone else is quite motivating.

Ah that's a good idea on the individual packets. The big issue over here is crisps. You can't buy single packs so everything is big 200g bags and it's easy to put way too many into a bowl.

Soldato
@Martynt74 - you’d be surprised at how quickly your brain adapts to portion size. You won’t need to weigh things for long before you take a look and think “nah, I need to take a few spoons off that portion”. Nuts and chocolate can be eaten, but again getting the scales helps with portion control. In fact, with snacks, getting the scales out adds to the faff of it and might serve to reduce consumption.

Soldato
OP
I buy 'Popchips' (Sour Cream) as even the big sharing bag (85g) is only 370 calls.

Wednesday I was in the office with my team. Everyone brought sweets and choccies. I ate far too much. Thursday I flew to Mallorca with my bike, but 6lbs heavier than I've been on Monday! Tbf, this happens while I'm away anyway. All you can eat breakfast and dinner, but burning loads of calories. I usually add about 6lbs then it drops back off when I come home.

Caporegime
Started on 21st Feb, so 1 month progress.

Next target is to hit 85kg end of April.

gXl4qcdl.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom