*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
Neither have I but I used to be fairly fat with big man boobs, it’s just I had so little muscle mass my weight appeared ‘normal’ and in no way was I healthy.

I’ve never suffered from man boobs, I’ve noticed my tummy doesn’t stick out quite as much as it did when I was 12.23 stone. I’ve looked at other blokes for comparison and many are carrying a spare tyre around the waist.

Currently wearing jeans with a 31” waist with a 31.5” belt as tight as it will go.

Last edited:
Soldato
How tall are you? Also do you/have you consistently done any sort of regimented exercise?

I am 5 foot 9.5 inches and was doing 30 minutes a day on my exercise bike whilst getting down to 10.62 stone from 12.23 stone.

My Visceral fat is 5 according to my digital scales app which is in the good range, when I was 12.23 stone it was 8 in the acceptable range.

Soldato
Whoop, hit 100kg on the dot this morning.

I was expecting this initial quick drop after the holiday and i think the next few months will be much tougher now. However i've been good and generally sticking to 1500-2000 calories a day. The last few nights i've managed ~3km walks too to test out my ankle so that's a positive too.

The main issue is still when the wife goes to bed and i get bored and look for something to eat. I need to find myself something for those times. Nuts aren't good as i find i eat them too quick and don't find them fulfilling so end up eating a huge amount. Maybe things like carrot sticks and hummus. I think once i get back to running i'll aim for something like Huel, it always really fills me up and has the benefit of decent nutrition. I think at the moment though it's too much in the way of calories to have on top of a regular diet.

Man of Honour
I am 5 foot 9.5 inches and was doing 30 minutes a day on my exercise bike whilst getting down to 10.62 stone from 12.23 stone.

My Visceral fat is 5 according to my digital scales app which is in the good range, when I was 12.23 stone it was 8 in the acceptable range.
Unfortunately you might as well just guess a number when it comes to using scales to workout body fat. Electrical impedance is not an accurate way of doing it. It's semi useful for looking at trends but not for getting an actual measurement.

Soldato
Unfortunately you might as well just guess a number when it comes to using scales to workout body fat. Electrical impedance is not an accurate way of doing it. It's semi useful for looking at trends but not for getting an actual measurement.

What was that you were saying about being nearly 19 stone a couple of weeks ago. I think you should concentrate on your own weight issues instead of criticizing mine. No offense but people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

Soldato
The main issue is still when the wife goes to bed and i get bored and look for something to eat. I need to find myself something for those times. Nuts aren't good as i find i eat them too quick and don't find them fulfilling so end up eating a huge amount. Maybe things like carrot sticks and hummus. I think once i get back to running i'll aim for something like Huel, it always really fills me up and has the benefit of decent nutrition. I think at the moment though it's too much in the way of calories to have on top of a regular diet.

Google protein fluff or dessert and make some of that.

Associate
What was that you were saying about being nearly 19 stone a couple of weeks ago. I think you should concentrate on your own weight issues instead of criticizing mine. No offense but people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

I'm not sure he was being particularly offensive here, just offering advice - I have a smart scale which does all this and as Tom says - its fine for tracking trends / progress but the actual measurements it gives aren't hugely accurate - so many of them are easily thrown by how much water you're carrying, etc. To give you an example, my scale was around 18% off my actual figures on the same day when I went to Nuffield for a full health MOT earlier this year.

Man of Honour
My advise may not be what you want to hear but I wouldn't say I've critised at any point, your initial post of "this is how you do it" after you explained how you do it is certainly not how to do it sensibly.

Soldato
To give you an example, my scale was around 18% off my actual figures on the same day when I went to Nuffield for a full health MOT earlier this year.

According to the supplier of the scales on Amazon the precision is...

Precision range:
50 kg: ± 0.3 kg (110 lb: ± 0.66 lb)
100 kg: ± 0.4 kg (220 lb: ± 0.88 lb)
150 kg: ± 0.5 kg (330 lb: ± 1.1 lb)

Man of Honour
According to the supplier of the scales on Amazon the precision is...

Precision range:
50 kg: ± 0.3 kg (110 lb: ± 0.66 lb)
100 kg: ± 0.4 kg (220 lb: ± 0.88 lb)
150 kg: ± 0.5 kg (330 lb: ± 1.1 lb)
What's the precision range for the bf/water/lean mass? They've got nothing to do with how well it weighs anything.

Soldato
Because you were using it to state your visceral fat and then had a huff when I accurately pointed out that any home scales aren't great at giving you an accurate number for that so you must care :confused:

The only thing that’s important to me on a day to day basis is the weight, all the other stuff is nice to have but I don’t really take that much notice of it.

I only mentioned it’s Visceral fat reading because another poster before me mentioned it.

Soldato
I stood on one of those scales once when I got dragged to some health event towards the end of a diet phase and it said I was 2% bf. Everyone was amazed, except me that had to point out if that were true I’d be dead.

Man of Honour
The only thing that’s important to me on a day to day basis is the weight, all the other stuff is nice to have but I don’t really take that much notice of it.

I only mentioned it’s Visceral fat reading because another poster before me mentioned it.
Fair enough.

I apologise if I came across as criticising but I've been around the whole gym/weightloss thing for long enough now that I can be a bit blunt in pointing things out.

I only mentioned my weight to show it's not the be all and end all of health, but it is a part of the puzzle which is why I've dropped 10lbs since.

Soldato
Haha I’ve gone to ****.

Went out for a bike ride with the wife. Ended up at a local brewery which had an artisan market on. Had 2 pints and then bought some pizza and garlic bread.

Then bought some cans of Guinness on the way home and got red wine for with tea (chicken and chickpeas so that’s healthy enough)

Going out for food with friends tomorrow too to another brewery with an on site pizza place!

On the plus side the bike ride was ok for the most part. Only did around 30 mins in total but can start building that back up again.

Back
Top Bottom