Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
That's it, I'm going to make some awesome burgers this weekend.

This is apparently the recipe for Byron sauce..

- 2tbsp mayonnaise,
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup,
- 1 tsp chopped capers,
- 1 tsp chopped gherkins, splash of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper

Soldato
I tried 5 guys a couple of weeks ago, I have to say I was fairly disappointed.

Not a particularly exceptional burger, therefore I think it was overpriced. I think I would be happy to pay around £6-7 for one of their burger, rather than £8-9. When you add in a drink or chips you are looking a close to £15 for what is basically just fast food.
There are a lot of places in London where you could get a nicer burger for the same price or cheaper, and you would also be able to sit down and enkoy a nicer atmosphere.

free peanuts were nice, bit random with burgers though!

I make my own:

Meat mix
50% beef mince
50% pork mince

Seasoning
Parsley
Sage
Parmesan
salt & pepper (optional)

mix the beef and pork well then finely dice the sage and parsley mix into the meat then grate Parmesan over and mix once more then make your burgers.

if bbq-ing you're all set if frying coat in a thin layer of breadcrumbs!

Soldato
We have a Five Guys in Reading now and I have been there three times, all paid for by doing some market research and filling in an online questionnaire.

Where are the questionnaires mate? id like to fill them in and grab a 5 guys when in Reading again

Soldato
Currently sitting in Five guys in Guildford, it's okay, I mean it is average. The Cajun fries are nice though.
Didn't know there was one in Guildford. I'll check it out when I'm there next.

So, I got to Honest Burger in Soho yesterday for a comparison with Patty & Bun. I've written a slightly longer review in the "What restaurant" thread, so all I'll say here is that is was a very good burger! The burger itself was not quite up with the flavour of Patty & Bun (the Smokey Robinson burger is just superb!), but it was close. Better than Byron and the other burger chains I've been to. I'll certainly be back to Honest if I'm in the area again.

Soldato
I really rate the Handmade Burger Co to be honest!

OK, so they aren't everyone's cup of tea and can be quite pricey but near me you can get BOGOF with a cinema ticket so it brings them back to reasonable pricing!

Stilton and bacon rules!

Man of Honour
Tried 5G in london shortly after it opened. It was merely ok. I'd put it about the same level as TGI Fridays burgers.

Much prefer MeatLiquor

Man of Honour
Eddie Rockets in Dublin have served me some of the best burgers and fries I've ever eaten, although it may be down to the fact I've normally been visiting them on the way home from quite a few beers.

Associate
I don't think I've ever had a "great" burger here in the UK. McSorely's Ale House in HK does a pretty mean burger though. Pretty sure they use Aussie beef.

Soldato
I was taken to 5 guys in Covent Garden against my will so to speak :D, but I enjoyed it, it was a good tasting burger, but for the price you pay expected more, the best burger I have had was at Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridien in NY. So tasty, and a fantastic location.

Soldato
Shake shack NYC was good. Tried the one in London a week or two after opening and was very disappointed. The sauce in the burger didn't taste right at all. Never been back since. Byron is good as is GBK.

Caporegime
I really rate the Handmade Burger Co to be honest!

OK, so they aren't everyone's cup of tea and can be quite pricey but near me you can get BOGOF with a cinema ticket so it brings them back to reasonable pricing!

Stilton and bacon rules!

Me too. Five guys's patty is a bit thinner than I expect for a "gourmet burger", my favourite is still 7bones by miles.

Soldato
Shake shack NYC was good. Tried the one in London a week or two after opening and was very disappointed. The sauce in the burger didn't taste right at all. Never been back since. Byron is good as is GBK.

I got a burger with nuts I think form GBK, it totally wrecked me for a few weeks. Never been again. Didn't even know the burger had nuts till I took a bite, just asked the misses to order me a burger.

Back
Top Bottom