Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
I got a burger with nuts I think form GBK, it totally wrecked me for a few weeks. Never been again. Didn't even know the burger had nuts till I took a bite, just asked the misses to order me a burger.

Shame about the nuts. I didn't know there was one with nuts either.

I quite like the kiwi burger. Unique and not something I have seen elsewhere.

Soldato
OP
Went to Patty & Bun yesterday. I'd give it 7/10. The burger was VERY juicy but nothing spectacular taste wise. I had the smokey robinson burger, it's a bad sign when the bacon was the tastiest part. Don't get me wrong, not a bad burger, just not a memorable one...

Byron/Almost Famous/Free State Kitchen still the kings of UK burgers for me.

Associate
Went to MEATLiquor near Bond Street (part of MEAT chain with one in Shoreditch & Covent Garden), pretty good American style burgers. The queue is quite large at times though so get there early or when its not busy.

Suspended
I would live to try 5 guys but I can't.

I wouldn't enjoy it as I feel they would be totally taking the **** out of me by charging £14.50 for a cheeseburger, fries and drink.

There was no one in the Bluewater one today. I think that unless they drop their prices, their more outlying restaurants may be forced to close eventually. Could you imagine an American paying nigh on $25 for a burger and chips. They would absolutely laugh in your face.

Soldato
You can't beat Patty & Bun for me.

That said, I went to Big Dog, which is this shoddy, American themed diner in Paradise Forum, Birmingham earlier this week, and for the price (£5 with chips and a drink) they do an excellent burger!

Caporegime
I would live to try 5 guys but I can't.

I wouldn't enjoy it as I feel they would be totally taking the **** out of me by charging £14.50 for a cheeseburger, fries and drink.

There was no one in the Bluewater one today. I think that unless they drop their prices, their more outlying restaurants may be forced to close eventually. Could you imagine an American paying nigh on $25 for a burger and chips. They would absolutely laugh in your face.

The prices is actually not that much different to other burger joint like GBK, Frankie's and Benny's, handmade burger co, 7bones etc. there may be a pound or so in it really.

Don't compare it to Burger King, compare it to other nicer burger places.

Soldato
Your username is apt for that burger! As fun as it is to be greeted with such a massive burger, they actually annoy me immensely because they're impossible to eat! There's a good meat-to-bun ratio* (plus extras) and that in itself when done right is far better than a burger that is way to big to get your mouth around.

*I'm sure I read a highly pretentious article about this recently :p

Had a burger in 'eds diner' yesterday, one of the worst meals ive ever eaten, I should have complained before finishing it really and not paid.
In Soho? I don't know how that place is still there, presumably it's just close enough to some theatres to pull in some tourists. Certainly anyone I know that works around there thinks its horrible!

Soldato
That's what a lot of these places get wrong really, what makes a burger great is being able to eat the whole thing together. I don't like big novelty burgers that are a meal with a bun at each end, it misses the point.

Man of Honour
Raw onions are amazing. That'll squash down. I do agree, but you have to take into account squashing.

I'm into my thinner burgers these days. The smashed into the pan type.

Soldato
To be fair you would struggle to fit any 1/2 LB burger in your mouth unless you have a jaw of giant proportion.

Thing is when you pay £10+ for a burger you want it to be substantial, if I have to use a knife and fork so be it.

I was a mess after eating that, a ketchup and grease covered satisfied mess.

Soldato
Raw onions are amazing. That'll squash down. I do agree, but you have to take into account squashing.

I'm into my thinner burgers these days. The smashed into the pan type.

Haha, don't know why but the smashed into the pan bit made me chuckle.

I'm unfamiliar with the technique.

Caporegime
Why puts a cooked onion on their burger?! :confused:

I'd prefer no onion at all, but if I had to, fried to the point of caramelisation, or sliced pickled, would be the only I would do.

I hate large tomatoes, slices ruin anything they are in, be it burger or a sandwich, and even picking them out doesn't help, their soggy grossness infects everything!

Bread, burger, bacon, cheese. Simple and effective.
Lettuce and gherkins if some form of veg is needed.

Soldato
I went for a patty & bun a few months ago, it was absolutely delicious.
Yesterday I had a five guys burger at the Trafford Centre, it was nice but not a patch on patty & bun.

Back
Top Bottom