Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Passed our local 5 guys yesterday at 12.30 lunchtime and it was empty,not a single customer to be seen.Only opened November but surely can't carry on like that :eek:

They still playing party music loud enough to drive customers away, whilst charging more for burgers than the likes of gourmet burger restaurants?

Soldato
Yep nearly every review of the local 5guys mentions the overloud music.

When the first one opened near me, I went upstairs with my wife, and we had to shout at each other, and she hated the volume so much, we had to wolf the food down and go. It was painfully loud and I suspect if you worked there, you'd go home after your shift with your ears ringing. It was like being in a nightclub.

I actually spotted the manager, and went and had a chat to him about what we thought of the new place, and the level of noise came up, and we explained that not only was it driving us out, it was totally inappropriate for the sort of customers he'd be expecting to get on a weekday lunchtime in a shopping area. He explained that it was company policy, and that it was to "energise the staff". He agreed that it would be a good idea to lower the volume during the weekday lunchtime, and go back to the normal high volumes for the night time crowd,

Anyway, he comped us both a free meal, and when we went back a couple of months later to redeem it, it was a bit quieter upstairs, so we could actually talk to each other without shouting or feeling the music was painfully loud, but it wasn't what I'd call quiet.

Since then, we've not been back, and every time we've passed it (it's in our local big shopping area), it looks dead empty. It's not been made better by the fact that as well as the usual McDonalds and Burger King competitors that are much cheaper, there are a couple of gourmet burger places close by that do better burgers, for a cheaper price (when you include the sides), and in a much nicer eating environment. Even the local Miller & Carter where you have a full dining experience does a better burger for a cheaper price.

I don't know how Five Guys are going to keep going when they just don't seem to be doing much business because of the higher prices, less good product, and actively hostile dining environment when so many other people are doing the same thing better and cheaper.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know how Five Guys are going to keep going when they just don't seem to be doing much business because of the higher prices, less good product, and actively hostile dining environment when so many other people are doing the same thing better and cheaper.

Ours has only been opened since last month,but there are a lot of businesses closing around here, Jamie Olivers being the latest one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
When the first one opened near me, I went upstairs with my wife, and we had to shout at each other, and she hated the volume so much, we had to wolf the food down and go. It was painfully loud and I suspect if you worked there, you'd go home after your shift with your ears ringing. It was like being in a nightclub.

I actually spotted the manager, and went and had a chat to him about what we thought of the new place, and the level of noise came up, and we explained that not only was it driving us out, it was totally inappropriate for the sort of customers he'd be expecting to get on a weekday lunchtime in a shopping area. He explained that it was company policy, and that it was to "energise the staff". He agreed that it would be a good idea to lower the volume during the weekday lunchtime, and go back to the normal high volumes for the night time crowd,

Anyway, he comped us both a free meal, and when we went back a couple of months later to redeem it, it was a bit quieter upstairs, so we could actually talk to each other without shouting or feeling the music was painfully loud, but it wasn't what I'd call quiet.

Since then, we've not been back, and every time we've passed it (it's in our local big shopping area), it looks dead empty. It's not been made better by the fact that as well as the usual McDonalds and Burger King competitors that are much cheaper, there are a couple of gourmet burger places close by that do better burgers, for a cheaper price (when you include the sides), and in a much nicer eating environment. Even the local Miller & Carter where you have a full dining experience does a better burger for a cheaper price.

Weird, in the US 5 guys are pretty quite. Must be some UK specific idea form regional management.

Suspended

Despite all of that, 5 Guys make the best burgers. Never experienced them until our holiday in the US last summer (music very low if it was on at all). Amazing. Miles better than anything else in the UK that I've had. Couldn't you just get take out?

Soldato
Despite all of that, 5 Guys make the best burgers. Never experienced them until our holiday in the US last summer (music very low if it was on at all). Amazing. Miles better than anything else in the UK that I've had. Couldn't you just get take out?

Not if you want to eat at a table rather than off your lap or trailing chips around a busy shopping area. I find that burgers and fries really don't travel well. I guess I've been spoilt by the independents around me, or full on steak houses that actually make a much better burger, for less money. Maybe the Five Guys in the US are better than the UK ones?

Associate
Broke my Five Guys cherry tonight, got a single bacon cheese with Toms, pickles, lettuce, grilled onion, ketchup and mustard and to be perfectly honest whilst each componant was lovely the toppings overpowered the burger, had to take them off to taste the beef and cheese which were really good when on their own, got a regular fries aswell to share with the mother, never tasted fries like them before, will go again probably just for them, but the chocolate milkshake was the star for me, it was like silk and Angel delight in a cardboard cup.

Caporegime
When I asked the guy at the checkout if anyone ordered everything he said it's best not to order more than three toppings otherwise you get as you've described. More topping than burger. I will try a milkshake if we go again.

Soldato
Five guys sell overpriced Burger King burgers - even GBK do better ones for cheaper.
I think that is something of an exaggeration - even the most miserly burger fan would have to concede that Five Guys is a huge step above what you can get from BK, etc.

Now, whether or not you appreciate that and are willing to pay for it is another matter. I don't particularly care for Five Guys, neither here in the UK nor when I am in the US. Doesn't do it for me at all.

Shake Shack is my burger chain of choice and more often than not my 'welcome to America' meal whenever I am travelling. There's nothing I'd change about what they do - apart from wishing they'd bring back their Bacon Cheddar Fries.

Soldato
Any Berkshire/Surrey types tried out the 7Bone in Camberley? I'm thinking of heading down there one night this week for a burger and a beer.

Back
Top Bottom