Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Caporegime
Had my first one a few weeks ago as part of a Market Force assignment. Liked it in a fast food sense but the chips and vending machine were probably more of a highlight. I got it for free but would feel short changed if I had to pay £15 for that when you could get a Patty n Bun, Dirty Burger or Flip n Dip for the same. Speaking of which, went for my first Dip n Flip last night - oh my :D.

Associate

foreground Holsteins Gold Standard
background Holsteins classic

in Las Vegas a few weeks back and tried a few burgers, well you have to don't you, and Holsteins Gold Standard is without a doubt the best, even the fries and onion rings were better than everywhere else, honorable mention for In_N_out burger double double with onion.

Soldato
Uh oh, I don't venture up that way very often but I realised I am now smack in the middle of that one and the one near Leicester Square station :eek:

There's a Shake Shack about 50m away from it too.

Caporegime
So we went to five guys in Edinburgh last week and I have to say the food was pretty good. Cheeseburger with mushrooms and bacon. Would I go regularly? No, it's a lot for what you get. Burger King is nearly as good for half the price.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Patty & Bun 100%

Patty and Bun do a great burger and their fries are perfect. However I just cannot understand why they've taken the approach of playing their music so loud. It's like being in a bar, you have to shout to speak to your mates :confused:

I've only visited once so this may be a one off, I went to the Liverpool St one.

Soldato
Yeh same for me, only been to the one on James Street however never had any issues and my sister in law went last week and didn't mention anything.

Maybe they have changed though.

Associate
Hmmm, had a quick look at the menu, might try honest burger or patty and bun. I've gone off the crazy style burgers with a shedload of toppings. Just want a very good, more simple burger.

Soldato
The 3 best in London are really Big Fernand, Honest Burger and Patty & Bun. You won't go far wrong with any of them. There's only one BF so if you're up near Goodge St I would highly recommend checking it out. I'm always pimping it out, I love it :D HB Soho is tiny so I'd try one of the other restaurants unless you're happy to wait at 'normal' meal times. Same for P&B.

Associate
I'm going down on a Tuesday, train gets in at 12 and looking to make my way from Euston to Soho area and get food so probably 12:30ish. I really don't know London well at all, but which is the closest to Soho between Patty and Bun and Big Fernard (if you think HB is too small).

Soldato
Gosh I must be bored at work to do maps for you!

I didn't realise P&B have a new branch on Goodge St so there's not much in it. The other one is on Old Compton St (south end of Soho).

Big Fernand is just north of Soho so much the same distance.

If you're going on a weekday I'd aim to get to either of them before 1pm. I work in the area and trust me they'll be rammed once the locals pour out of their offices at 1pm. On a Tues you might have a bit of leeway, but still.

Soldato
So we went to five guys in Edinburgh last week and I have to say the food was pretty good. Cheeseburger with mushrooms and bacon. Would I go regularly? No, it's a lot for what you get. Burger King is nearly as good for half the price.

I think I actually prefer burger king. :eek:

I'm just not that impressed with 5 guys. We have a couple of local independents who make much better burgers here in Cambridge (Butch Annies , and the Steak and honor vans). Next best here is Byron burger IMO.

The novelty of the any toppings you want and infinite soft drink permutations wears off quickly. I can have a nice craft beer with my burger in Butch annies and Byron burger (And Steak and Honor when they open their new restaurant).

Back
Top Bottom