Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Associate
The best burger in the UK crown, in my opinion is still held by Almost Famous or Byron. Both deliver beefy taste and perfect combinations. Almost Famous for the OMG what the hell is that??! kind of burger while Byron is your purist burger.

Yep, completely agree.
Five Guys isn't even in the same league as Almost Famous or Byron.

Soldato
OP
Went to http://freestatekitchen.co.uk last night and had the wings and double french onion burger (shared with the mrs).

Wings were exceptional. Easily the best wings in this country; got chatting to the owner at the end and they buttermilk brine the wings first and give them a fry before frying them again when it's time to serve. This results in a super crispy exterior before they are tossed in proper buffalo sauce. NOM!

The burger was good but needed some sweet tomato relish to cut through the garlic and onion flavours. Couldn't fault the patties though, tasted super fresh and beefy. Just needed that tomato sweetness to contrast with the rest of it.

Dessert was a salted caramel cheesecake. Out of this world good! Again, shared as we were so full from the main feast!

Soldato
I went to Byron the other day and had the Miami Slice burger with onion rings and courgette fries. She went for the skinny burger :eek::eek::eek:

Fear not, I've had words and she promises not to embarrass me again.

20140605_192024_zpsafea1285.jpg

Soldato
Went to Handmade Burger co. last week, accidently ordered a burger with "mustard relish" who would like such a thing?

Anyway, even after scraping it off it was grim. It had swiss cheese on a burger called "american cheese" :confused:

Chips also tasted of nothing, even after I buried them in salt.

All the fat from the burger had collected on the plate, which meant super soggy bottom bun. Never again.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Five Guys are still my favourite burgers.

Caporegime
Had another Five Guys today to satisfy my curiosity as the one in NYC I had was good; sadly It's still just an average burger. Not a patch on anything like Byron etc.

Fries are awesome, though.

Agreed.

Made some burgers from nothing more than regular mince from tesco today, just seasoned with a little salt and pepper, made it the night before to let the salt react with the beef and hold it together, so no egg needed.

Much nicer than Five Guys stuff, i don't know how they make it so bland, it is more bland than plain steak.

Back
Top Bottom