Big Tech Authoritarianism

Reps. But cutting back on environmental regulations, which has actually strengthened America in terms of less reliance on imported minerals & oil could be seen as a good thing in the long run. A lesser of two evils, rather than importing from across the globe. Unless of course, you think you can just cut off supply of everyday goods with no recourse.

I'm sure that having less reliance on imported energy has been good for them in some ways, but it hasn't pushed them to develop greener means of energy production meaning that the environment suffers as a consequence. We see it every year with wildfires and hurricane season and pulling out of an internationally agreed covenant to reduce carbon emissions, effectively deregulating the energy sector, doesn't help that. There would have been no cutting off supply of every day goods, many other countries have remained committed to the accord and haven't had to give up everyday products as a result.

So you believe that Trump was a unifying, rational, open-minded, laissez-faire leader of the Free World then? :eek: [..]

So you believe that the moon is made of cheese then?

We can play this "let's make stuff up and pretend someone else said it" game some more if you like. It seems petty and childish to me, but you seem to like it so I'll play along if you like.

Or do you really believe that the only two possibilities in anything are the two extremes? I know that's an article of faith for self-styled progressives. A simple dichotomy of good and evil is doubleplusgood for people who dislike thinking.

You don't think there was a bias against Trump?

It is hard to believe that there are people who believe everything the media says, without question.

Of course there was, right from the off the media wrote him off as a joke candidate that never had a chance of getting the nomination, let alone win the election. But the flipside of that coin is the hordes of mental deficients who deify him and hang on his every deranged tweet, something I honestly don't remember any former presidents having.

You don't think there was a bias against Trump? . . .
Bias is probably the wrong word, incredulity would seem more appropriate.

. . . It is hard to believe that there are people who believe everything the media says, without question.
Yes, you are right, it is hard to believe. However, there are actually people who (used to) believe Fox News :eek:
It is however, easier to believe that there are credulous people who actually support a persistent liar like Trump.

It is hard to believe that there are people who believe everything the media says, without question.

Not particularly no. Act like an incompetent chimp, gets reported he acts like an incompetent chimp, oh noes biased MSM they cry! Fake news they cry!

Tons of bias on the far left and right of the spectrum, as standard, but the MSM? Majority of them are just telling it like it is and the Trump cultists dont like actual news.

So you believe that the moon is made of cheese then? . . .
No, I can't say that I do; why, do you?

I don't believe that Trump was a unifying, rational, open-minded, laissez-faire leader of the Free World either.

Nor do I believe that he was treated unfairly by Social Media organisations or in all probability by the majority of the mainstream, serious media.

In both cases Trump was shown a remarkable amount of patient tolerance, presumably because he was the US President and people were reluctant to admit the scary possibility that the most powerful man on the planet is a dangerous, narcissistic, lying lunatic.

Not particularly no. Act like an incompetent chimp, gets reported he acts like an incompetent chimp, oh noes biased MSM they cry! Fake news they cry!

Tons of bias on the far left and right of the spectrum, as standard, but the MSM? Majority of them are just telling it like it is and the Trump cultists dont like actual news.

I think its a minority view that MSM is telling it like it is. MSM is failing to such a degree even even some youtube channels have more viewers than them.

Yes, you are right, it is hard to believe. However, there are actually people who (used to) believe Fox News :eek:
It is however, easier to believe that there are credulous people who actually support a persistent liar like Trump.

Most people used to believe half of what they watched on TV and less what they read in the newspapers. Yet these days it seems the media, politicians, lawyers, all once assumed to be manipulators of the truth, are now unquestionably believed. I don't know where this mind set came from.

Most people used to believe half of what they watched on TV and less what they read in the newspapers. Yet these days it seems the media, politicians, lawyers, all once assumed to be manipulators of the truth, are now unquestionably believed. I don't know where this mind set came from.
I think this exact point is potentially the damaging point though. I don't think this is necessarily true, however it seems to be the go-to for the really right wingers to point judgement at "the sheep".

I really don't think it is true though.

Parler is having to host their servers in Russia in order to protect the right to free expression/speech because an un-elected mafia of billionaire corporation owners who support authoritarianism/censorship and control key industries have essentially blacklisted them from all kinds of services and are preventing them from operating in the (supposedly free market) US economy. Just let that sink in for a minute.

Parler is having to host their servers in Russia in order to protect the right to free expression/speech because an un-elected mafia of billionaire corporation owners who support authoritarianism/censorship and control key industries have essentially blacklisted them from all kinds of services and are preventing them from operating in the (supposedly free market) US economy. Just let that sink in for a minute.

So you support a platform that was unable/unwilling to effectively identify and remove content that encouraged or incited violence against others?

Thank heaven that Parler can rely on the renowned tolerance of the Russian democratic kleptocraric system to spout whatever it is that it does spout :rolleyes:

If the shoe was on the other foot:
Parler is funding the Russian's with Western Europe and North American dollars. Parler is lining the pockets of those who seek to promote far-right behaviour to further grow their market share of the global economy. And not only did you, mmj_uk, participate in this, but you actively sought to grow and fund their model!! EVIL!!

I think this exact point is potentially the damaging point though. I don't think this is necessarily true, however it seems to be the go-to for the really right wingers to point judgement at "the sheep".

I really don't think it is true though.

From my anecdotal observations I've never seen so much opinion based media coverage these days. I think the news going to 24/7 as drained the quality. They spend half the time listening and reporting on conspiracy opinions than just keeping to the facts. I think they should consider going back to quality over quantity.

If people had more trust in the media then when they are tackling issues such as Qanon, anti vaxxers, 5G etc they would be much more persuasive in the debate and, in my opinion, we wouldn't be were we are today.

From my anecdotal observations I've never seen so much opinion based media coverage these days. I think the news going to 24/7 as drained the quality. They spend half the time listening and reporting on conspiracy opinions than just keeping to the facts. I think they should consider going back to quality over quantity.

If people had more trust in the media then when they are tackling issues such as Qanon, anti vaxxers, 5G etc they would be much more persuasive in the debate and, in my opinion, we wouldn't be were we are today.
I suspect that many of the problems you appear to be encountering may stem from the places where you follow the news.

Why don't you try the BBC? Radio 4 is even better than the BBC TV; You may be pleasantly surprised :)

I think both are true. There was (and continues to be) a massive bias against Trump (and anyone else who doesn't wholly obey the self-styled "progressives", which is to be expected as they're authoritarian bigots) but Trump was an incompetent politician. He was a gift to the other side, a tool they could use to further their goal of more division, more irrational prejudice and more authoritarianism. They're scum, but they're politically skilled scum. Trump against them in politics is like a team of toddlers picked at random from kindergartens playing football against the world cup winning side.

Is this the same Trump who pushed Birtherism for years? That Trump? The irony of your post is staggering.

Who from day 1 were saying he'd be a disaster and ruin the Republican Party? It wasn't the Dems, it was high ranking Republicans. And they were right. He was a disaster, a corrupt wannabe dictator who pardoned his own cronies, ended up instigated an insurrection and making 80% of Republican voters believe the election was stolen because he's such a bad loser. Now he says he's going to start his own party called The Patriot Party. If he does that's the GOP absolutely screwed at national level.

Back
Top Bottom