Bike License

Soldato
Hi Guys,

So I have been driving for almost two years now and really, really have that itch to get on a bike. I'm 20 years old, so cannot do anything like direct access etc...

I think the 24 restriction is a joke personally, especially if you already have a full license for X amount of time. I know the reason for it but still //RANT

So my question is; what step/stages would I need to do?

I'm aware I would need to do CBT first, but am not really clued up on the rest. Would you be able to fire me some suggestions please?

My goal for now is by mid next year be riding say a Kawasaki 250r, so for the second question, which bikes would you guys recommend? I would be using it to and from work, a bit of motorway bits, and A roads.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of the advice guys, especially IC3.

My Dad has an Older Yamaha Genesis 750, which I really like and want to buy off him as he will be selling it soon. But as it is a 750 (Racing engine also!) I wouldn't be able to ride it at all.

Would I be able to get a restriction fitted to one of those to make it run at the A2 specification?

I will get a picture of it later to show you all, needs a bit of work, but otherwise is a great runner.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the lac of update on this from my side.

I have been out today at CMC motorcycles (Chesterfield, are any of you guys local?) and clarified a few points, while also finding the bike I want!

I am aiming to do my CBT in December, with my tests following on from there over around an 8 week period. Now, while I'm excited I really have no idea what would be the best way to revise and approach this, any suggestions?

In regards to the bike, I sat on a Yamaha MT-07, and wow. I love it! The riding position is spot on, and while it is 689cc (an odd number) it can be restricted to A2 standards. I plan on buying new, so will get plenty of experience before I'm 24, which is a good thing of course.

A couple of piccies for the colour I like:

87g3qUj.jpg sl6YbWT.jpg
ou747fD.jpg
vTWB8Oi.jpg

I would like to buy some new gear, tried on a few jackets and helmets and found a couple which I really like. I have a strange fit, either my chest is really tight, and my arms are loose. Or it is the other way round entirely...

Anyway, got a picture of how the top half fits:

Kx0OnMv.jpg

I'm really excited to get started on this, I have rode a KT-250 trails bike (which we still have!) On our fields, which was awesome (irrevent I know).

All in all, what do you guys think?

Soldato
OP
What kind of insurance would I be looking at you think? I will have 1 years no claims on my car at the time.

I asked a CMC and they said around £600 ish

Soldato
OP
Do some quotes - for a 600cc naked as a new rider, in a decent area at your age I'd guess £600-700.

As for the jacket, is it textile or leather? Can't tell by the picture. you want it tight enough so that the armour fits into place, arm size isn't really important, length is though, but shoulder fit is most important. A textile jacket is normally a little looser than leather, leathers should feel liket they're holding you in at first (like a second skin) as they stretch a little to fit you.

Just done a quote, cane up at around £2,000 ish :eek: I can only assume if I called them I would be able to lower that. I will be moving to Hastings direct for my car insurance next month, I know they do bike insurance, so would I be correct in thinking if I already have a policy with then, I might be able to gain some sort of discount.

The jacket I was warring was textile. When I eventually ride, I will be commuting to work, so I would need to wear something which will be comfortable with a shirt/tie and trousers underneath. I don't think leathers would be good for that unless I'm wrong? My understanding is that they are much tighter and like a 'second skin'.

Edit: out of question, I know someone who might be selling a 650 bandit, with lower miliage. What are the thoughts about one of these? Reliable?

I have looked around and it appears that one of those can be restricted to an A2 license standard too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have a garage, unsure if I out it on the quotation. However, I will have some steel doors fitted, and both a Oxford lock brace (screwed into the ground) and an oxford chain and lock, then the bike will be secure!

I was hoping that the insurance would be less than 1k. :(

Soldato
OP
It includes the CBT, Theory, along with about 3-4 days out ish I think for the MOD1 and MOD2 tests.

I need to find some time, to speak with the instructor over a cup of coffee to clarify further, the problem is money... :( I have picked a bad time as my Insurance + MOT for my car is around the corner!

Soldato
OP
Don't do your theory as part of your DAS, if you fail then you will have to reschedule it and change your mod 1+2, do your theory now before even starting your DAS course.

It's only £25, book it separate. :)

To be fair, that makes perfect sense, what would be the best materials for me to study from? I could book it now, and then make myself study. Is there any digital hazard perception I can install on my PC?

Soldato
OP
Okay, the next date is on the 16th do you think I would have sufficient time to study on this?

My only worry is the hazard perception, is there a rule of thumb for that? I scraped my car one by clicking too much. :p

Soldato
OP
That's plenty of time, it's mostly common sense to be honest.
I didn't even practise the hazard perception part.

It certainly is, being that I drive already I have a lot of the road knowledge anyway, it is mainly the bike specifics more than anything else.

I know I'm thinking ahead, but Mod 12 and 2, are they as hard as the car test kind of thing? From what I have seen, mod one is like cones + moving the bike around. Whereas mod 2 is more like the car test, unless i'm wrong?

What kind of things do they look out for and class as minors (Driver faults)? because unlike in a car, the examiner isn't right next to you.

EDIT: Test booked for the 16th November @10am for the theory.

Soldato
OP
Thanks fellas, makes perfect sense. Sounds easier compared to the car test, will probably end up doing my tests in the Doncaster/Rotherham area.

I assume I can undertake my theory before I even touch the CBT? I have booked the test, but see no mention of the CBT but want to ask if you guys have any ideas? Apologies for the endless questions! :p

Soldato
OP
I Can't wait for the fun bits.

Thanks guys, once I'm riding on my own bike I will be at the meet ups for sure! :D

So... In regards to the practical. Is it better to buy all my gear beforehand, or after? my understanding is get it before, while it will take longer to get the cash for the lessons it makes sense right?

Soldato
OP
Yes, this definitely.

I bought all my own kit before my CBT because it's rare anywhere has hire kit that'll fit me and considering how much I was sweating after an hour of riding round a carpark I was very glad it was only my sweat!

I'm the same, I struggle to find things which fit me well.

I have some boots, and just got a Furgon Jacket, which fits me much better than the restof the gear. I'm going to pop by CMC this weekend and get some trousers and gloves most likely.

My lid should be here soon too. Settled on a Shark s700s. :)

Is there any particular gloves you would recommend?

Back
Top Bottom