Bike License

Soldato
OP
Don't be, and you aren't. You're training, it's good you make these mistakes now in a controlled environment rather than out on the road.

I dropped my training CBF600 on the first day riding one. I was doing the same it sounds like, after some riding came up to the instructor and ended up grabbing the front brake. I now just think of that as the 'falling off at slow speed' lever.

Thanks JunglistE, after thinking about it I do feel much better about it now, and it is good to know that it isn't only me who has done it.

You don't realise how heavy they are until you can't stop it coming over. The bike was a Yamaha XJ6.

You'll be fine once you get back on, first time out on the road on a 600 I got serious target fixation and ran a blind corner so wide I was square in the opposite lane with a people carrier coming towards me.

Funnily enough I've never done it again, same when I first dropped my 125 on the road coming into a corner too fast panicked snatched the front brake and down I went and again I've not snatched the front brake since.

You learn from your mistakes, don't dwell on it and get straight back on don't give the "fear" time to build and eat away at you.

I used to do a lot of dirt jumping, free style stuff, and have crashed and hurt things many times but always managed to get back on the bike, I know it is different in the respect that it is a push bike, but the fact that I got back on it without worry, and only wariness is good.

This felt a little different as it was unexpected, and frankly I never thought it would happen. I do feel better about it, I am going on this Thursday to do my MOD 1 as a mock test on the 125, to get a hang of the stopping properly I hope to crack it and make it second nature before getting on the XJ6 again, so it doesn't happen again.
We are riding to Nottingham so 40 miles each way. So should give me plenty of time to get a firm grasp on how I should stop. I know it should already be at that stage, but for some reason i'm not, and that is what worries me.

I have spoken to my dad in the meantime, and he said exactly what you said. Don;t dwell on it, and get back on it and learn from it. I will be doing that, and I'm looking forward to getting out again, and this time I'll be a little more prepared. :)

No problem. :) it's all part of learning, once you get back on the bike you'll stop worrying about dropping it and enjoy it. :) have you spoken to the training school about getting the seat lowered?

I will speak to them and see what they say, it was odd, because it I sit close to the tank I can reach the floor not problems at all, but I find that the jewels get a bit squashed!

To the guy who dropped the bike on a lesson, don't worry, I did the same on my Mod 1 prep lesson! :D :D :D

Glad it wasn't only me!
Just need to get back on the bike, and take it from there.

On the plus side, I got my CBT certificate, and my instructor said that it was well deserved, even after dropping the bike. He said that I have come on in leaps and bounds since I started. I'm not afraid to open the throttle on the 125 like before, which is a sign for the better, as I feel a little more confident.
Bear in mind this is after I dropped the 600. I did have a couple of bad stops, which if I was on the 600 I would have dropped it again, it is was down to using the front brake again, and not using both brakes, and using the back brake to come to a final stop, once the bike is stopped then put my left foot down, after getting the bike into first gear.

Soldato
OP
Thank you all for the great advice.

Today has been far, far better than I hoped for to be honest. As today was my Mod 1 test day, and involved a 80 mile round trip, so thought that I would take the opportunity to improve my stopping, and positioning on the 125 before moving up. In all honesty I'm glad it did, not only do I feel better about stopping, I have made massive progress in using my left foot and covering the back brake... Finally.

This morning (7am start! :eek:) we set off at about quater to 8 as the test was at 9:15. Anther student has their MOD 1 on that day, they passed with a few minors. Mine was supposed to be at 9:55, I thought why not just give it a 'feeler' to see what it is like and what it entails. Went in thinking that it is a test more than anything else, but passed the Mod 1 with 1 minor (slow speed clutch jerk of all things!!) but as it was on the 125 it is A1. The thing is, I am really pleased as I have barely practiced the swerve, and emergency brake and above all the 32mph speed.
I basically just went around the bend at 22ish and just thrashed it in 2nd when bouncing of the rev limiter :p turns out I went fast enough, and didn't crash into cones, all this without really thinking about it...

Since my riding is far better as I'm not thinking about controls or anything. It is kinda strange how it has clicked 'like that' in my mind, and now I'm bored of the 125... :o I need more now!!

:D

Next thing to do is re-book my tests and nail them. Hopefully I can get another MOD 1 soon.

Soldato
OP
I didn't choose to do it, in the morning I wasn't going to do it as I wasn't on the 600.

But as we needed to go there anyway, and another person had their test I thought it was worth experiencing it so I know what to expect. The reasoning behind taking the 125 was down to sorting my stopping and confidence out, as I didn't really have any.

Personally I'm glad I took that route. Yes it will take longer and involved another test but, at least I feel comfortable in the fact that I am much less likely to drop the bike again.

Soldato
OP
How did you find it? Get your confidence back?

Being only able to put half of your foot down doesn't sound like much fun, do they not have a lowered bike available so you can feel confident?

Yes and yes!

Thanks for the support guys.

We went to Nottingham to the test centre to try out come maneuverers. I went down on the 125 which was higher than the 600cc to get a feel for the height early on. we arrived at Nottingham, I got on the 600, I did all of the slow speed stuff, and the serve with no issues at all. The only issue was the garage thing, but to be fair it was the fact the bike is far heavier than what I moved previously. (as in pushing it, I leaned it slightly towards me and it was easier)

Did all that sort of stuff for an hour, then my instructor handed me the keys to the big bike and I rode it back. I have to say, I loved it, the response, the braking just everything is so much better. We even went on the junction I stumbled with the 125 (Steep hill with traffic lights) and my hill start was great.

I am awaiting the phone call from the riding school to confirm my test dates. But all in all I can't wait and have no worries about it anymore. :D

Soldato
OP
I wasn't going to post anything, but I am excited indeed!

I need to book time off work to secure it, but if I can *Touch Wood* then my MOD 1 will be on the 9th of February and my MOD 2 on the 10th of February. :D

Soldato
OP
You'll ace it! We have our tests on the same day so hopefully we'll both do it :)

Wow, awesome the best of luck! :)

Also, I think I know the right answer to this. But I am aware that the examiner may want be to pull up in a safe place, what if there is a straight road, with only double yellow lines. I know you can't park there, but am I correct in thinking that I am able to wait there?

I have been reading the DVSA guide to riding, and oddly cannot see anything to do with double, or single yellow lines :confused:

Assuming that the examiner isn't looking to 'catch you out' as they know the route, I would guess that they would only ask the question if there is a safe place to strop EG; not on a blind bend, brow of hill etc...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Great stuff, so:

No stopping on Double Yellow Lines
No Stopping on Single Yellow lines

So basically avoid road markings on the side of the road for stopping.

Back
Top Bottom