Bike License

Soldato
OP
That's plenty of time, it's mostly common sense to be honest.
I didn't even practise the hazard perception part.

It certainly is, being that I drive already I have a lot of the road knowledge anyway, it is mainly the bike specifics more than anything else.

I know I'm thinking ahead, but Mod 12 and 2, are they as hard as the car test kind of thing? From what I have seen, mod one is like cones + moving the bike around. Whereas mod 2 is more like the car test, unless i'm wrong?

What kind of things do they look out for and class as minors (Driver faults)? because unlike in a car, the examiner isn't right next to you.

EDIT: Test booked for the 16th November @10am for the theory.

Man of Honour
Even the bike specific questions are pretty straight forward as long as you think about it.

Mod 1 is like you say all car park based slow speed stuff doing slaloms, figure of 8s, u turns and stopping. Easy stuff once you've practised it as you know exactly what's going to happen.

Mod 2 is basically just a nice little ride round town, with a hill start and a starting from behind a car thrown in.
Make sure you don't interfere with any other road users, get up to the speed limit nice and briskly which is easy on a bike and make sure to get your shoulder checks in.

Soldato
Mod 1 is the off road (as in a private tarmac area) slow speed maneuvers. So, manually moving the bike, u turn, slalom and figure of 8, slow (walking pace) ride, and then emergency stop, controlled stop and swerve. It's easy to fail as put a foot down during half the exercises, and it's a fail. But, it's also easy to pass.

Mod2 is normal riding on the road, they just want to see that you're confident and not dangerous. It's basically a ride with voice satnav in your ear, apart from the 5-10 minutes of independent riding. They'll want to see you get up to speed quickly, that doesn't mean 12k rpm in 1st gear though ;)

I got 2 minors on my mod2, for the same thing. Pulling out from behind a row of parked cars, I needed to peek out more before pulling out, and a van stopped in the middle of the road - again my road position wasn't the best for seeing round it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks fellas, makes perfect sense. Sounds easier compared to the car test, will probably end up doing my tests in the Doncaster/Rotherham area.

I assume I can undertake my theory before I even touch the CBT? I have booked the test, but see no mention of the CBT but want to ask if you guys have any ideas? Apologies for the endless questions! :p

Associate
Honestly the theory is the hardest part of everything, and its not even the questions that will be challenging...it's the blasted hazard perception!

Never understood why if you click half a second before the "window" of where they want you to click, you fail!

Associate
Honestly the theory is the hardest part of everything, and its not even the questions that will be challenging...it's the blasted hazard perception!

Never understood why if you click half a second before the "window" of where they want you to click, you fail!
No you don't stop trying to scare the OP :p

They don't mark you down for wrong clicks unless you're trying to cheat the system and it picks up on a suspicious pattern (like constant clicking!).

When I saw something that could emerge as a hazard I clicked 3 times about a second apart - Passed comfortably! - Its nothing to worry about folks.

Soldato
I used this for car and bike (older one of course): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1843265931?keywords=theory test&qid=1446035338&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

It has exactly the same questions as the official theory, so after passing consistently on the software, I went and got 46/47 questions right and clicked through in literally about 10 mins because I recognised the layout/picture on the question and remembered the answer :rolleyes:. It also explains exactly how the hazard perception works and will show you where you clicked, where you should have clicked and the marking system. Again, some of the videos are even the same. It almost feels like cheating :p

Soldato
OP
I Can't wait for the fun bits.

Thanks guys, once I'm riding on my own bike I will be at the meet ups for sure! :D

So... In regards to the practical. Is it better to buy all my gear beforehand, or after? my understanding is get it before, while it will take longer to get the cash for the lessons it makes sense right?

Man of Honour
I'd buy your own gear, nothing worse than wearing sweaty hand me down gear!

Yes, this definitely.

I bought all my own kit before my CBT because it's rare anywhere has hire kit that'll fit me and considering how much I was sweating after an hour of riding round a carpark I was very glad it was only my sweat!

Back
Top Bottom