Bike License

Man of Honour
He's right, a bike will only go as fast as you twist the throttle It's not an on off switch.

I've said it before but bigger bikes are much nicer places to be than little 125's if I'd had the cash at the time I'd have gone straight for my DAS instead I spent around 6 months on a CBT riding a YBR 125.

It was by no means wasted time but I'm a much better rider now I've done my DAS than I was even after 6 months of actual road time.

Man of Honour
He's right. Many experienced bikers told me the same so I went straight for my DAS and my dream bike, a Street Triple, and I'm very glad I did.

Associate
I went straight for my dream bike too and I'm very glad I did, although my Harley Sportster is a different beast to your R1s and R6s (Still 883cc and 0-60 in 4.7 seconds so no slouch).

Just respect the bike, the road and your training and go for it I say. For extra piece of mind continue onto Advanced training ;)

Caporegime
yeah I agree,never be scared of how powerfull the bike is,it will only go as fast as you want it to,they can all pootle around town quite happily

if anything that takes getting used to it is the bulk and weight of them compared to smaller bikes,just get the bike that you like imo,stuff what others think or say

Soldato
Well, I'll do my CBT on Sunday and ask an instructor how they think I'll do going for the DAS. hopefully I can do it over a few weekends.

I'm sure they'll do what every other instructor does... tell you that you need some lessons (money for them), then you'll be ready. Even if you were the best biker and capable of passing after one lesson, they will recommend more.

Soldato
Mr girlfriend and I are both 25. We did our CBT's in the summer and bought a new CBF 125 to learn on whilst we save up to do our DAS probably next spring... I do fully get the argument for heading straight to the A license but I certainly wouldn't recommend against getting a 125.

One

One

Soldato
Mine were the opposite lol, I thought I needed more training they said I'd pass just fine. They weren't wrong.

In my opinion the bike test is very different to the car test. If you can pass the car test I don't think that qualifies you to go buy a Ferrari or even an m3, for example, whereas if you pass the bike test then you are qualified for a litre bike.

Just my opinion I suppose but the bike test is far more rigorous than the car test. Absolutely no reason to spend any time on a 125 if you don't want to!

Of course, if you need to ride a 125 in order to be able to pass the test then that's also okay.

Soldato
Thing is his point about wasting money on a 125 assumes you're going to throw it away or something? So long as you have the funds available you'll lose very little money on a 125 as they're so popular.

I don't regret spending time on a 125, I guess it depends on what type of riding you'll be doing. All / most of my riding is commuting, if I was hooning every weekend I probably would have done my test sooner. But I'm 32 with a young family so don't get time to ride on weekends. Only ever been out once on my Z750 for "just a ride" in the time I've had it.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the lac of update on this from my side.

I have been out today at CMC motorcycles (Chesterfield, are any of you guys local?) and clarified a few points, while also finding the bike I want!

I am aiming to do my CBT in December, with my tests following on from there over around an 8 week period. Now, while I'm excited I really have no idea what would be the best way to revise and approach this, any suggestions?

In regards to the bike, I sat on a Yamaha MT-07, and wow. I love it! The riding position is spot on, and while it is 689cc (an odd number) it can be restricted to A2 standards. I plan on buying new, so will get plenty of experience before I'm 24, which is a good thing of course.

A couple of piccies for the colour I like:

87g3qUj.jpg sl6YbWT.jpg
ou747fD.jpg
vTWB8Oi.jpg

I would like to buy some new gear, tried on a few jackets and helmets and found a couple which I really like. I have a strange fit, either my chest is really tight, and my arms are loose. Or it is the other way round entirely...

Anyway, got a picture of how the top half fits:

Kx0OnMv.jpg

I'm really excited to get started on this, I have rode a KT-250 trails bike (which we still have!) On our fields, which was awesome (irrevent I know).

All in all, what do you guys think?

Soldato
Ahh - I rode an MT-07 briefly (was my first go on a big bike actually) and it was a doddle to ride - a perfect fun beginner/commuter bike in fact. A little small for me though.

The MT09 is by no means bad (jn fact it's very good), there's just a few niggles, like the throttle snatchiness, and the bouncy front end. Oh and the hard seat. Feels like a bike that wants to be ragged hard all the time, not something for pootling about on. But as a fun bike it's great. The tracer (based on the MT09) is also really bloody good - more comfy than the MT09 but still just as fun and goes as well.

In fact the test ride of the tracer I had was what made me look into bikes like the Multistrada/1190 adventure etc - I realised that these bikes can be both fun and comfortable :D

OP - with the prices of used MT07's you may as well go brand new, you'll only save a few hundred quid buying a used bike. £4500 for a year old used bike or £5100 for a brand new one? No question, brand new.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Insurance is actually cheap on the MT-07, If I didn't have to lower my budget down... it would have been my next bike. Ticked the most boxes of my list. :(

Soldato
OP
What kind of insurance would I be looking at you think? I will have 1 years no claims on my car at the time.

I asked a CMC and they said around £600 ish

Back
Top Bottom