Bike License

Soldato
Is that including CBT? Sounds about right for a new rider, I had 6 months time on a 125 an only needed 2 half days of training before mod1, then a few hours before mod2 (both on the same day) - which cost just over £500 all in (no theory or CBT) but starting from scratch you'll need about double that, a 5 day course is normal for newbies. CBT is pretty much a full day.

Soldato
OP
It includes the CBT, Theory, along with about 3-4 days out ish I think for the MOD1 and MOD2 tests.

I need to find some time, to speak with the instructor over a cup of coffee to clarify further, the problem is money... :( I have picked a bad time as my Insurance + MOT for my car is around the corner!

Soldato
Is that over a few weeks? You're better off doing a straight 4-5 day course - but if you do that, get the theory test done asap as without it you can't do anything. In fact I'd book the CBT straight away with your chosen instructor - this will let you see what they are like before spending a grand with them. Then once CBT is done (and if you like riding a bike!) book the Theory, pass that and only then book your DAS course.

Soldato
Don't do your theory as part of your DAS, if you fail then you will have to reschedule it and change your mod 1+2, do your theory now before even starting your DAS course.

It's only £25, book it separate. :)

Associate
Ouch way to much these days.

When i did mine... Turn 16 and put some L's on your 50cc, turn 17 and L's on your 125cc with no CBT required.

Provisional License only lasted two years though then you had to take a year off before starting again.

At 17 book your test or like i did a 3 day course for part one and two, think it was cheaper than you guys are paying for your CBT.

Part one is 20 mins around some cones and the main test was haf hour odd out on the main roads, no theory test as such just a few questions on the highway code after your main test.

Then woo hoo ride any size bike at 17 years old. :cool:

Soldato
Ouch way to much these days.

When i did mine... Turn 16 and put some L's on your 50cc, turn 17 and L's on your 125cc with no CBT required.

Provisional License only lasted two years though then you had to take a year off before starting again.

At 17 book your test or like i did a 3 day course for part one and two, think it was cheaper than you guys are paying for your CBT.

Part one is 20 mins around some cones and the main test was haf hour odd out on the main roads, no theory test as such just a few questions on the highway code after your main test.

Then woo hoo ride any size bike at 17 years old. :cool:

Unfortunately we don't live in the 50's anymore.. ;)

Soldato
OP
Don't do your theory as part of your DAS, if you fail then you will have to reschedule it and change your mod 1+2, do your theory now before even starting your DAS course.

It's only £25, book it separate. :)

To be fair, that makes perfect sense, what would be the best materials for me to study from? I could book it now, and then make myself study. Is there any digital hazard perception I can install on my PC?

Soldato
To be fair, that makes perfect sense, what would be the best materials for me to study from? I could book it now, and then make myself study. Is there any digital hazard perception I can install on my PC?

Google "Driving Test Success All Tests 2015 Edition", it's only £6 or so.

They've been churning these out for years, but they updated the hazard perception clips this year apparently (the old ones were from about 1993 judging by the cars in the clips!), so I'd go for the most recent edition.

Buy the CD and just practice 2-3 times a day. You'll have mastered within 2-3 days. The bike test has one topic which covers different questions to the car one, it's about 3-4 questions in the test. This CD will cover you for 95% of the stuff you'll need, don't forget to apply common sense and you'll be fine.

Edit: Theory test cost £25 now?! They were only about £15 five years ago!

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly the same DVD I used. I passed first time, I did my car theory back in 2001 before the hazard perception stuff came in so it was my first time doing that.

I always remember a bike question which I got wrong, by over thinking it... it was something like:

"when getting on a bike from the left side, what should you do?"

Can't remember all of the possible answers, but the correct one was holding the front brake when getting on. Me, overthinking it, dismissed that one as it would mean the rear brake light would be showing which could cause confusion for other motorists behind.

But of course, when you get on your bike, it's not normally running, so the lights wouldn't be on. :rolleyes::o

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Okay, the next date is on the 16th do you think I would have sufficient time to study on this?

My only worry is the hazard perception, is there a rule of thumb for that? I scraped my car one by clicking too much. :p

Man of Honour
Okay, the next date is on the 16th do you think I would have sufficient time to study on this?

My only worry is the hazard perception, is there a rule of thumb for that? I scraped my car one by clicking too much. :p

That's plenty of time, it's mostly common sense to be honest.
I didn't even practise the hazard perception part.

Soldato
supposed to click 3 times arnt you? once when you think a hazard is gonna happen,once as it happens and one for when its over?

they do think of some stupid things

They are in 5 second bursts, clicking the right time will get you 5 points, then 4,3,2,1, 1 being the lowest, you can click more than once but no more than twice within 1 second or you get red flagged and 0 points for that clip.

Back
Top Bottom