Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
I can see how it would be a recipe for disaster as an R1 was my first bike after passing my test. (Bought it 2 days after)
I had to be extra sensible and use a lot of will power and be extra sensible to avoid disaster.
It does depend quite a lot on the rider's mentality and reservation.
Not everyone has that unfortunately.

A few people on here advised me to be careful a few years back and they were right to do so.
You can have mishap on any level of performance bike but the higher the performance and the riskier the rider, the higher probability of it happening.

I dont know what other peoples opinions are but I think it's more likely to be the lack of knowledge and technique of cornering at speed is what catches more people out than outright speed.

Soldato
I think it’s almost all about your attitude, poor attitude and slow bike is still going to end badly, it’s just that a fast bike gets you on to trouble so much easier as they mask the speed so well.

With the right attitude a fast bike should be ok as you’ve proven but the majority of people wouldn’t be suited, not that a 600cc super sport bike isn’t fast.

Soldato
Although a very thorough test . I think its applicable to a few people .. Those that dont wash or reapply whatever product they use . I think for the majority on here i think the top 4-5 products would do a sterling job . I will continue to use AC50

Soldato
Maybe it's me then... seems a bit like suicide.

I feel the same as you. People think you need a 1000 to be fast, but that just shows how little they know about bikes. I think 98% of people need that time on a 600 to rewire their mind to the acceleration and just how quickly you will catch up with things.

Man of Honour
Although a very thorough test . I think its applicable to a few people .. Those that dont wash or reapply whatever product they use . I think for the majority on here i think the top 4-5 products would do a sterling job . I will continue to use AC50
Most all year commuters don't faff about washing and reapplying over winter. I washed and sprayed painted mine in acf50 in November time and it didn't get any more than a quick hose rinse until last month.
In that case it looks like I'd have been much better off with xcp and I'll probably go with that this winter unless I start using the car more.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Doing some insurance quotes for my incoming MT-09 SP I've discovered quite a few places want a lot more money to insure it than say a normal MT-09 or even the Tracer, I thought maybe because it's a new model so tried a KTM 790 but that was fine to insure too :confused:
How much for SP and base model?

Associate
Anyone used Oponeo to order tyres? Prices were quite cheap so put an order in, but on tracking it seems that they're being posted from Spain... which could be a pita if there's anything wrong with them and I need to return.

Man of Honour
I think @IC3 had fun and games with them in the past after they messed an order up. I've been looking and to be honest by the time you add fitting I can pick up a set locally for a tenner more at most.

You're relatively local to me next time give addisons tyres in tipton a call, prices have always been pretty good.

Edit: Just sorted a new pair from them and they came in at £175 fitted to loose wheels, same tyres on openo £154 before fitting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone used Oponeo to order tyres? Prices were quite cheap so put an order in, but on tracking it seems that they're being posted from Spain... which could be a pita if there's anything wrong with them and I need to return.
A lot of these cheaper tyre shops will ship from Europe. I ordered from TyreLeader a while ago and they were shipped from Germany. Just a risk you need to take if you want to save a few £££

If you're worried about returns just order from somewhere like sportsbikeshop and pay the extra £.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I always got my tyres within 2 days, once it took 3 days but they got to me first thing in the morning.
I think @IC3 had fun and games with them in the past after they messed an order up. I've been looking and to be honest by the time you add fitting I can pick up a set locally for a tenner more at most.

You're relatively local to me next time give addisons tyres in tipton a call, prices have always been pretty good.

Edit: Just sorted a new pair from them and they came in at £175 fitted to loose wheels, same tyres on openo £154 before fitting.
That was TyreLeader UK, even with photos they wwanted me to pay for return, had to write a long email with consumer rights to them to get it sorted...

Associate
Cheers all. The quotes I was getting locally for the tyres I wanted (Continental ContiAttack SM) were nuts, for the back alone, with fitting, the cheapest I could fine was £180, others were quoting £200+. The rear on oponeo was just over £100 delivered...

@tom_e Cheers, I'll check that place out in Tipton.

Soldato
What's the normal set up for commuting? Bike trousers over normal trousers, or just bike trousers for the ride and then change? Trying to make my transition from road to desk, and back, as efficient as possible.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What's the normal set up for commuting? Bike trousers over normal trousers, or just bike trousers for the ride and then change? Trying to make my transition from road to desk, and back, as efficient as possible.
Depends on the weather.

I’ve got textile biker trousers that I put over my normal work trousers/jeans if it’s raining. That way, I chuck them in the drying room and I’m already dressed minus changing out of boots etc.

If it’s warm or dry I’ve got biker jeans that can pass for regular jeans. In this instance I take the boots off and I’m done.

I’d never ride without some form of protective trousers as you just never know. My exception is if I meet with the local authority who are on the other side of the business park and I haven’t got the car :p

Soldato
I’d never ride without some form of protective trousers as you just never know.

I definitely want some sort of protection. I'm currently riding in jeans and getting rained on more often than not, so I think my next investment should be in some decent Goretex trousers. I'm just unsure as how to size them at the moment.

I like the idea of biker jeans, but I think they need to come later.

Back
Top Bottom