Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
I'm starting my bike journey again imminently :)

Unable to find my provisional license sadly so getting that replaced and booking my CBT as soon as it arrives.

Going to buy a CB125F again and get a fresh year under my belt then it will be my direct access course.

Associate

Unable to find my provisional license sadly so getting that replaced and booking my CBT as soon as it arrives.

Going to buy a CB125F again and get a fresh year under my belt then it will be my direct access course.
Good luck buddy, hope it all goes well!

Man of Honour

Good luck and have fun. You will also need to pass a motorcycle theory test (90% the same as the car test with a few minor differences). But you can do that between the CBT and Direct Access.

EDIT: If you plan to get your own bike then I'd suggest starting to get some of your own gear before the CBT. The school will be able to loan you some old sweaty gloves or a poorly fitting helmet that someone has sneezed in. So at a minimum I'd suggest getting your own helmet and gloves. Where possible I recommend going to an actual shop to buy the helmet so they can advise on the right size and model for your shape of head. You can save money buying online but unless you know how a helmet should fit you then you might end up with something not quite fitting right.

Personally I am an ATGATT sort of person (All The Gear All The Time). Having been knocked off my bike by a careless driver (I'm still bike-less) I was so grateful for all the armour when I slammed into the side of the car and then bounced onto the ground. Some clothing only has optional back and hip armour but those both save me from further injury. Legally you only need a helmet. The schools insist on a minimum of a helmet, gloves and sturdy shoes/boots. But if you are 100% going to take up riding after the CBT then I would start looking around at gear. Looking at the damage on my helmet I wouldn't ever consider an open face helmet either :) My forehead and nose are grateful for my full face helmet. Sorry, I'm quite particular about good protective gear although it is of course everyone's choice what risk they want to take (even getting on a bike is risky).

Last edited:
Soldato
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Got home to a big box waiting outside..........I'm more excited than a dog with two ****s.....it's here!! New levers too. Guess what I'm doing Sunday! No import duty either, which is a nice bonus as I'd put that extra money to one side. Happy days!

PqSe9HB.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't wait until Sunday, get it done now!
Ref the (chinese?) levers, they usually fit well, but a lot of the time you'll need to knock the spacer out of the old lever and fit it to the new, otherwise they'll flop around a bit.

Soldato
Don't wait until Sunday, get it done now!
Ref the (chinese?) levers, they usually fit well, but a lot of the time you'll need to knock the spacer out of the old lever and fit it to the new, otherwise they'll flop around a bit.
Cheers for the head's up ref that. Hopefully they'll be fine. If not, I'll get some OEM ones

Need to get the various covers back on her before I can put her clothes back on, and it's dark outside now!!

Associate
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Got home to a big box waiting outside..........I'm more excited than a dog with two ****s.....it's here!! New levers too. Guess what I'm doing Sunday! No import duty either, which is a nice bonus as I'd put that extra money to one side. Happy days!

PqSe9HB.jpeg
Nice! Those aren't oem then? Where did you get them from?

Associate
"Take the bike to work today" he said. "It'll be fun" he said.

Said frozen man with a dong the size of a peanut :rolleyes:
I wimped out today. 2 degrees C at 6am when I left the house, so I resorted to the car with the heated steering wheel and then on the way home ran into the lovely side wind gusts on Thelwall Viaduct and didn't feel quite so bad about it after all :)

Associate
Ebay Chinese special. Will probably need a bit of fettling to fit, but for £360 delivered, I'll take it. Paint finish looks really nice. Delivery was 2 weeks and 2 days

Iridium screen looks nice af too!

5QNAo7E.jpeg
Zx9r, brings back memories! Mine was a C1, fast as ****. Nearly (literally) killed me, my 1 one and only road crash happened on one. 140bhp iirc no t/c etc but it was my fault not the bikes, i was young and stupid. Love the blue colours these come in. Stonking engines.

Associate
Good luck buddy, hope it all goes well!
Thank You :)
Good luck and have fun. You will also need to pass a motorcycle theory test (90% the same as the car test with a few minor differences). But you can do that between the CBT and Direct Access.

EDIT: If you plan to get your own bike then I'd suggest starting to get some of your own gear before the CBT. The school will be able to loan you some old sweaty gloves or a poorly fitting helmet that someone has sneezed in. So at a minimum I'd suggest getting your own helmet and gloves. Where possible I recommend going to an actual shop to buy the helmet so they can advise on the right size and model for your shape of head. You can save money buying online but unless you know how a helmet should fit you then you might end up with something not quite fitting right.

Personally I am an ATGATT sort of person (All The Gear All The Time). Having been knocked off my bike by a careless driver (I'm still bike-less) I was so grateful for all the armour when I slammed into the side of the car and then bounced onto the ground. Some clothing only has optional back and hip armour but those both save me from further injury. Legally you only need a helmet. The schools insist on a minimum of a helmet, gloves and sturdy shoes/boots. But if you are 100% going to take up riding after the CBT then I would start looking around at gear. Looking at the damage on my helmet I wouldn't ever consider an open face helmet either :) My forehead and nose are grateful for my full face helmet. Sorry, I'm quite particular about good protective gear although it is of course everyone's choice what risk they want to take (even getting on a bike is risky).

Plan is currently get the CBT done and then read about motorbike theory and have that booked in the near future too.

I have boots, bottoms and gloves from when I previously had a bike but do need a new jacket and helmet. Helmet will be a full face for sure and in terms of protective gear I'll go for something substantial for sure.

Associate
Zx9r, brings back memories! Mine was a C1, fast as ****. Nearly (literally) killed me, my 1 one and only road crash happened on one. 140bhp iirc no t/c etc but it was my fault not the bikes, i was young and stupid. Love the blue colours these come in. Stonking engines.
I've nearly bought a zx9 a few times. It's probably a good thing that I didn't. I think I'm too old now and they probably ain't ulez either.

Associate
I've nearly bought a zx9 a few times. It's probably a good thing that I didn't. I think I'm too old now and they probably ain't ulez either.
My zx9r and subsequent crash didn't put me off sports bikes but it did make me more careful. Plus with age my riding style is mellow 95% of the time now. I have ducati panigale v4 in my garage which has hardly ever been opened up (it scares me tbh), i know i could easily die on it or being italian it might just blow up.

Associate
My zx9r and subsequent crash didn't put me off sports bikes but it did make me more careful. Plus with age my riding style is mellow 95% of the time now. I have ducati panigale v4 in my garage which has hardly ever been opened up (it scares me tbh), i know i could easily die on it or being italian it might just blow up.
I had a B4. Not as agile as the C1 but the stance was better for my height (6'5"). Superb bike. Sold it when my eldest son was born but wishing I'd kept it safely stashed in some dry garage.

Associate
I had a B4. Not as agile as the C1 but the stance was better for my height (6'5"). Superb bike. Sold it when my eldest son was born but wishing I'd kept it safely stashed in some dry garage.
They always seemed be the most comfortable sports bike im 6'2". Much more room than a fireblade. I had a gpz 900 so this would have been a natural progression.

Back
Top Bottom