***Biker's Lounge Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
wouldnt make the best commuter but would be most fun LOL

Dunno about that my commute is accross London, I've found a 450 supermoto is far more fun and capable than a sports bike or a commuter, it weighs sod all and has loads of grunt, unfortuntely it doesn't have any form of security so I won't leave it parked up anywhere.

Soldato
wel spent the last few days shopping for a new bike. just carnt find anything that I want for my budget :(

Set myself a 6k budget, can stretch a little over if needed. Had 4 strokes since passing my test 12 years ago and fancy something a bit different. Really had my heart set on a Ducati 999. But after reading up a fair bit it seems the 2005 onwards model is the one to get. some pretty hefty engine changes (up 25bhp) as well as so big improments to the fairing. It seems pretty much every 999 currently on sale is from a dealer, which knocks the price over my budget, I can find plenty of pre 2005 ones within budget but I would always feel short changed. Im also getting a little concerned over the freqency of the services.

• 6,000 mile or every year - around £415
  • 12,000 mile or every 2 years - around £535

Would mind if that was just on the milage as id prob only doing 2-3k a year, but that every year is quite harsh.

Really stuck at what else to be lookin gat within my budget. Others I have considered.

• 2008 RSV-R - Nice spec, handle great but seem a bit souless
  • 2007 SP2 - Again look good, sound imense, but after having a go on my brother SP1 I was not all that impressed to be honest.

What the heck do I do, hang on and hope a private 2005 999 comes up within 6k, buy a pre 05 model????

damn confused:confused:

Soldato
567-ducati-making-mechanics-out-of-riders-since-1946.jpg

You sod.... Mine has been totally f.... It's at the garage :( Seized starter motor lol

Seriously though, both my 748's have not had a single problem, few little niggles, but compared to some of my mates and their rice burners, they have been better than good :D

Plus, owning one is just a dream, so owning 2 is heaven :D

ags

edit: I am a all seasoned rider and commute on my 748 and it makes the slog to and from work so much fun and brightens up my day :D

Last edited:
Associate
  • 2007 SP2 - Again look good, sound imense, but after having a go on my brother SP1 I was not all that impressed to be honest.

What the heck do I do, hang on and hope a private 2005 999 comes up within 6k, buy a pre 05 model????

Wait and get what you want :)

The RSV-R is far from souless, as is the SP imo. Niether will really be up to the specs of the current crop of sports bikes, but they are immense fun.

Not ridden the RSV-R, but from people I know who have them they are awesome bits of kit.

The VTR SP is not without it's niggles, it was built for 1 purpose (to beat Ducati at their own game) and it did that brilliantly, however after the SP2 the rules for WSB changed and they weren't developed any further. But as they were bult as race bikes that is exactly what they are, the attention to detail is almost anal, brilliant bikes and fairly rare (I used to live a stones throw from the Ace Cafe and have only seen a handful of SPs, either there or at Rykers down by box hill).

Similar to the predicament you are having I came accross very few SPs when I was looking to buy in the price bracket I had in mind.

My advice would be to just bide your time and get something which matched exactly what you want rather than in haste and getting a bit of a shed.

Having a look on biketrader for 999s under £6k and 2005 or newer only yields 6 hits (that's still 6 more than the 6 I got when I was looking for the SP, I waited 3 months in the end and got the one I wanted)

Soldato
wel spent the last few days shopping for a new bike. just carnt find anything that I want for my budget :(

Set myself a 6k budget, can stretch a little over if needed. Had 4 strokes since passing my test 12 years ago and fancy something a bit different. Really had my heart set on a Ducati 999. But after reading up a fair bit it seems the 2005 onwards model is the one to get. some pretty hefty engine changes (up 25bhp) as well as so big improments to the fairing. It seems pretty much every 999 currently on sale is from a dealer, which knocks the price over my budget, I can find plenty of pre 2005 ones within budget but I would always feel short changed. Im also getting a little concerned over the freqency of the services.

• 6,000 mile or every year - around £415
  • 12,000 mile or every 2 years - around £535

Would mind if that was just on the milage as id prob only doing 2-3k a year, but that every year is quite harsh.

Really stuck at what else to be lookin gat within my budget. Others I have considered.

damn confused:confused:

All these look like 2005 bikes under £6k?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...rt/priceasc/page/2/quicksearch/true&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...rt/priceasc/page/2/quicksearch/true&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ge/1/sort/priceasc/quicksearch/true&logcode=p

Or this beauty for £6,500

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...icksearch/true/page/3/sort/priceasc&logcode=p

Soldato
On another note, I just order some chinese knock off pazzo shorty levers. Will let you all know if they fit ok and what the quality is like.

I couldnt quite stomach spending £120+ on levers, so £40 is much more agreeable.

Associate
I went out to look at the new Honda VFR1200F what a nice bike, i guess it has to at £11000:eek::D
Heres a link to the bike:
http://www.feelvfr.com/en_GB/pages/mainpage

A mate of mine went for a test ride on one at Honda Chiswick on Saturday just gone, he says its awesome - 170bhp and loads fof torque, easy in traffic but a beast when you blast past 5k rpm, sounds a bit wussy with the double valve exhaust. Looks better with the rear side panniers in place mind.
The looks are a bit marmite but I really like now Ive had a closer look and sat on one, I prefer it over the Multistrada, now thats a pig ugly bike IMO!
Going for a test ride myself this weekend and also down to an RC8 dealers in Potters Bar for a test ride on one of those :D

Getting back on my CBR600 will be shocking after these two!

Soldato
1: Called them, someone has put a deposit on it already :(
2: Its Yellow, dont like them in Yellow
3: Its a 2005 but not with the new engine, can tell by the grey frame, should be red if it has the new engine.
4: Same reason as 4
5: Same reason as 2

The last one is an interesting prospect, im not overly keen on the spray job but it is a new one. I also wanted one with a standard seat unit in case the missus came out with me. I have emailed him asking for mor einfo on it.

It may seem like im being overally picky but I just know what I want, nearly bought a 2008 R1 in red and white yesterday with only 4k on the clock, was so tempting but ive been there and done that and really wanted something different.

Gonna hang on for the right 999 to come along, they do show up its just being ready when they show up. a 2005 mint red one with the new engine and a staggeringly low 1.5k on the clock :eek: sold for 5,999 on eBay just 2 weeks ago.

Soldato
Wait and get what you want :)

The RSV-R is far from souless, as is the SP imo. Niether will really be up to the specs of the current crop of sports bikes, but they are immense fun.

Not ridden the RSV-R, but from people I know who have them they are awesome bits of kit.

The VTR SP is not without it's niggles, it was built for 1 purpose (to beat Ducati at their own game) and it did that brilliantly, however after the SP2 the rules for WSB changed and they weren't developed any further. But as they were bult as race bikes that is exactly what they are, the attention to detail is almost anal, brilliant bikes and fairly rare (I used to live a stones throw from the Ace Cafe and have only seen a handful of SPs, either there or at Rykers down by box hill).

Similar to the predicament you are having I came accross very few SPs when I was looking to buy in the price bracket I had in mind.

My advice would be to just bide your time and get something which matched exactly what you want rather than in haste and getting a bit of a shed.

Having a look on biketrader for 999s under £6k and 2005 or newer only yields 6 hits (that's still 6 more than the 6 I got when I was looking for the SP, I waited 3 months in the end and got the one I wanted)

I have ridden a SP1 and was a left a tad underwhelmed, my brothers has race cans on so sounds amazing. but I found the hydrolic clutch anoying as hell, was like a on/off switch with no feel. Engine while OK wasnt all that quick either.

Havent taken a RSV R for a spin yet as I just cant get on with the looks, so I think I am ruling them out.

Man of Honour
Hey all

Decided after a whole winter of riding to strip calipers on the 10 today. What a mess.... 3 out of 8 pads were actually seized to calipers.

Spent ages pumping out each piston one by one while chocking others to get the all 'free' again, and scrubbed all the gunk off with brake cleaner.

Plenty of copper grease later and new brake fluid and I can stop again ;) ....downside is it will now take agaes to bed in all the old pads as they are worn all over the place

Every biker should do this operation every 6months min... it's a rubbish job but if you miss it your brakes will turn to dust :(

Man of Honour
Each caliper has 4 pistons with a single pad for each piston.... one of Kawasaki's crazy ideas, think it's to do with heat dissapation :(

Problem is the pads are so tight in the calipers that once a piston goes 'lazy' from exposure to rubbish weather it bonds to side of caliper... I knew there was a prob as the discs had started wearing funny

Soldato
Yea another Kwaka crap idea :p

I stuck with the ZX10R calipers on my gsxr untill I needed new pads, then realised new ones for track use cost more than the calipers second hand! I think they are still in the shed actually need to sell them on.

Associate
I have ridden a SP1 and was a left a tad underwhelmed, my brothers has race cans on so sounds amazing. but I found the hydrolic clutch anoying as hell, was like a on/off switch with no feel. Engine while OK wasnt all that quick either.

Havent taken a RSV R for a spin yet as I just cant get on with the looks, so I think I am ruling them out.

You don't like the looks of the RSV-R?? :O

The SP1 is renowned for a very jerky throttle, better on the SP2, guess the hyraulic clutch is a marmite thing, I've got it on the SP and the crosser and love it.....as for the engine being quick or net, against the current crop of litre bikes it wouldn't be as fast. Saying that though I'm no way near it's limits and that's got nothing to do with the engine :( (i.e. I'm an average rider)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom