Bikers What Cam Do You Use?

Soldato
Amazon sent me an email with some deals on cams, the Sony AS20 looks good - 1080p/60fps, removable battery and only £120.

Removable battery is a big thing for me, no good doing a tour and only having enough battery for half a day and not being able to chuck in a new battery.

Soldato
I bought an MD80 on eBay for under a tenner. It's a Muvi copy but looks like it works ok. First outing with it was a bit of a disaster as I didn't mount it right and it pointed at the sky most of the time.

Associate
I'm thinking about getting a Go Pro Hero or Xiaomi yi to save cash but how do you chin or handlebar mount them?

well you buy a handle bar mount

Go_Pro_Hero_Handlebar_Mount_500x500.jpg

As for chin, that depends on your helmet. My Shoei GT Air has too many angles so I have a very low mount on the right hand side that I attach my go pro using a small 90' elbow

Soldato
I'm seriously considering the Sony AS30V, can be had for £120 online or £125 from various highstreet shops.

Removable battery - tick
1080p 60fps - tick

The only 2 downsides are there's no front recording light, and you need to buy an extra mount to side mount on a helmet. Oh and it needs to be in the waterproof housing in case it gets a tiny bit of water on it.

Interestingly, on ebay there are Sony AS100VR cameras (an older flagship model) going for £190, which include a live view remote for your wrist, and the camera is splashproof so doesn't need the waterproof housing for motorbike stuff. Oh and it has a recording light on the top of the camera. The remote is £100 on it's own. Still has all the good stuff, 1080p/60fps, external mic in port, removable battery, and even a 50mbps 'pro mode' video.

In fact I could probably buy the AS100VR and sell the remote for £60-70... hmmm :D

Soldato
i don't know about the sony but i know that if you want to record for any thing more than an hour 1080p @ 60FPS is out of the question.

How come, battery life? Exactly why a removable battery is a must have for me.

The Sony seems to have 2.5-3 hours battery life with wifi/gps turned off at 1080p 60fps. Then it's just a case of putting in a new battery, which are cheap to buy.

Associate
I have bought 3 extra batteries for my GoPro 3+ Black. and when riding you don't hear it die and turn off, so it doesn't really matter how many batteries you buy and how easy it is to change, chances are you'll not be recording when you want to be unless you constantly check after 40minutes or so lol

Man of Honour
I have bought 3 extra batteries for my GoPro 3+ Black. and when riding you don't hear it die and turn off, so it doesn't really matter how many batteries you buy and how easy it is to change, chances are you'll not be recording when you want to be unless you constantly check after 40minutes or so lol

Why on Earth are you faffing around with so many batteries? That's mental!

Get a single external USB battery pack if you can't be bothered to wire it up to your bike's battery. You'll get over 10 hours easily then.

Associate
well you buy a handle bar mount

Go_Pro_Hero_Handlebar_Mount_500x500.jpg

Yeah I saw a similar mount and didn't think that would work for me as not enough height or adjustability and the ram mounts are a bit expensive. but now I'm beginning to understand how these Go pro type mounts work and this seems to be what I'd need.

n5peHSdm.jpg

I think I may get an SJ4000 as it's cheap and has all this stuff in the package.

As for chin, that depends on your helmet. My Shoei GT Air has too many angles so I have a very low mount on the right hand side that I attach my go pro using a small 90' elbow

I'll use sugru to get round the angles issue and I found the go pro helmet mount on Amazon for £10.

Associate
Why on Earth are you faffing around with so many batteries? That's mental!

Get a single external USB battery pack if you can't be bothered to wire it up to your bike's battery. You'll get over 10 hours easily then.

Well I bought my GoPro for snowboarding and the cold saps the battery life

I have a mount on my helmet but prefer the suction cup on the tank or windscreen with a tether

Man of Honour

No problem chin mounting on my GT-Air without Sugru ;)

You do need to be a bit creative though.

Associate
Handlebar mounts often vibrate so much.

Not sure what I can do about that. I never want to be in a situation again without accident footage caught on cam so I'll be riding with 2 cams one on the helmet and one on the bike. I should wire one up and have it looping but I've recently come to the realisation that anytime I try DIY I mess things up.

Back
Top Bottom