1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biking Do's & Don'ts

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by wazza300, Jun 25, 2015.

1. wazza300

Caporegime

I've seen a few stick their leg out after they over take me,to acknowledge

2. Sandycheeks

Wise Guy

If I'm ever in a situation where Nursie needs to see my underpants, I'm going to say there's a good chance they might need washing again first.

3. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Hell yeah - Most of them are bikers first and cops second, but since they're usually decent folk too I usually get along with them. Not going past them on one wheel seems to help!

4. agnes

Capodecina

Yea, so do I.

I mean, when you pull the helmet up, and sit it so the bottom of it is just above your ears. It's stupid and silly. Hate it. Real pet hate of mine, when ever I see if, I feel like knocking it off.

5. Craig321

Capodecina

This. Plus I normally fill at Tesco pay at pump anyway.

6. wazza300

Caporegime

that's one of the reasons I bought a flip helmet,they would often come on the loud speaker telling me to take off my helmet so id just ride off

I couldn't fathom the pay at the pump meters at the time either,but now ive worked it out

7. Craig321

Capodecina

I always expect them to do that, but I always fill even with my tinted visor down and they've never said anything.

It seems the whole no helmets thing is a bit more relaxed these days, round here at least.

8. Dogbreath

Capodecina

It's simply a practical solution if you are asked to remove your helmet (I've been asked a few times over the tannoy) and there's no safe/clean place to put your helmet. I'd rather look stupid than dump my expensive helmet onto a filthy petrol pump, or hang it precariously on a mirror.

9. wazza300

Caporegime

Hook it through your arm?

Its as bad as balancing it on your seat or tank

10. MowyTone

Mobster

I've never heard of being required to remove your helmet before fulling up before!

11. agnes

Capodecina

Yep, one loose footing and you just dropped your £600 lid on the floor from a fair way up.

I don't think it's practical personally, and it being used as fashion by chavs on scooters. Looks silly.

I guess a DO would be to regularly maintain your chain. Vital component.

12. tom_e

Man of Honour

Do anticipate some boob turning left just after a set of traffic lights to stop dead a full cars length over the stop line and centimeters from the turn when the lights are on amber because he saw a police car on the other side and flapped.
    Then proceed to pull off a perfect emergency swerve.

Don't try and run your bike on fumes, one day it'll catch you out!

13. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Welcome to Europe.

14. wazza300

Caporegime

you must live in a posh area then,in brum they wont let you sneeze without seeing id

15. MowyTone

Mobster

Haha I've never heard Southampton be called posh before. I've been asked for cash up front before filling up before, just not to remove my helmet

16. leigh_boy

Wise Guy

where i live that how it is... end of.
    125's are slow noisy and are cheaply made and tend to feel like crap to ride hence attracting that kind

17. Sagalout

Soldato

I've never had any issue in Europe or the UK

18. Dogbreath

Capodecina

Not a bad idea if I had girl sized arms, but my forearm won't go through the visor slot, so the helmet would just dangle around my wrist and stop me using my arm for anything.

I don't see how it's as bad as balancing it on a seat or tank. One nudge and your helmet is history, but with it wedged onto the top of my head it's going nowhere unless I want it to.

Just to add this isn't something I regularly do, if the petrol pump is clean and has a flat surface I'll put my helmet on that, but if the need arises it's by far the best way to keep it clean and safe. I certainly wouldn't walk into the shop to pay with it perched on my head though.

No more likely than losing your footing whilst walking with a helmet on, and that would do similar damage. Irrespective, I'm only filling the tank, so rather unlikely to be loosing my footing.

It used to be a fairly common requirement, but many petrol stations seem to have relaxed the rules on this now.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  19. RyanF

Wise Guy

I'm being thick but what danger do you represent by having a helmet on?

20. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Lack of identification and resistance to force.