Bioware's Anthem

Soldato
Have you ever burnt a piece of toast because you weren't paying attention, and then attempted to scrape off the burnt bits in hope of salvaging it? That's what the developers are doing with this game. Also, the toast is covered in festering monkey vomit.

Having burnt my toast last weekend, I know exactly what you mean! And yes I did try to scrape the burnt bits off it and it was ok in the end.

The festering monkey vomit is a concern however...

V F

V F

Soldato
I've still do find that part. I've only played Cataclysm a few times. Pub groups are the worst, everyone is obsessed in rushing. Rush, rush, rush. I was completing other parts and they wiped out Vara before I could finish for god sake.

Soldato
Surprisingly good. I remember what a ****-show this was at launch, but now I have extremely good performance 4K ultra ~45fps with a mere V64. I have to say, their world is absolutely gorgeous, this has some of the best environments in any game. The gameplay itself is also quite solid in terms of handling and 'feel', and I just love their sound design with so many little touches that just uplift it (eg standing on a metal container, as a colossus shooting and then hearing the ammo fall down on it - superb!).

Sadly the endless loading screens aren't gone though they have been toned down, and overall there's this feeling of being in instances rather than in an open world, which detracts from the experience a lot. Plus a lot of little things that just ensure it's not a smooth gaming experience, horrible UI, all sorts of stops (eg codex pick-up transitions etc). In many ways it's quite similar in its strengths & weaknesses to Rage 2 though the latter seems to have upgraded itself a bit better overall.

Honestly, if they manage to create an actual open world with what they have already built in this game, they may have something special on their hands. Though I don't know to what degree that's feasible. Frostbite Engine seems like a total POS for this type of games. Great visuals, sure, but really sub-par in terms of streaming tech. All in all, I may sink a few hours into this while listening to some podcasts, the story & dialogue just annoy me and I'm very eager to mute the voices. I don't think Anthem is going to redeem itself at the end of the day, but there may just be hope for an Anthem 2.

V F

V F

Soldato
Surprisingly good. I remember what a ****-show this was at launch, but now I have extremely good performance 4K ultra ~45fps with a mere V64. I have to say, their world is absolutely gorgeous, this has some of the best environments in any game. The gameplay itself is also quite solid in terms of handling and 'feel', and I just love their sound design with so many little touches that just uplift it (eg standing on a metal container, as a colossus shooting and then hearing the ammo fall down on it - superb!).

Sadly the endless loading screens aren't gone though they have been toned down, and overall there's this feeling of being in instances rather than in an open world, which detracts from the experience a lot. Plus a lot of little things that just ensure it's not a smooth gaming experience, horrible UI, all sorts of stops (eg codex pick-up transitions etc). In many ways it's quite similar in its strengths & weaknesses to Rage 2 though the latter seems to have upgraded itself a bit better overall.

Honestly, if they manage to create an actual open world with what they have already built in this game, they may have something special on their hands. Though I don't know to what degree that's feasible. Frostbite Engine seems like a total POS for this type of games. Great visuals, sure, but really sub-par in terms of streaming tech. All in all, I may sink a few hours into this while listening to some podcasts, the story & dialogue just annoy me and I'm very eager to mute the voices. I don't think Anthem is going to redeem itself at the end of the day, but there may just be hope for an Anthem 2.

Something else is being lined up.

Associate
What’s the population like in this game now? It was so bad to start with that I’m kinda surprised it’s still going tbh. Although saying that, the actual shooting gameplay has always been decent.

Associate
I got the game free when I had Origin Access, tried it but all of the flying about I found to be a little repetative and dull tbh, large install though 75gb i think before I uninstalled it. So personally I never liked it.

Associate
So I this game completely dead now?

I’ve seen it for £5 in most places, It’s got to be worth that surely??

Does it still get updates?

And one more thing. Will it brick my console??

Cheers

Soldato
EA trying to bring it back but I think it's safe to say it's as dead as the proverbial dodo!!!

It's a pity, had it lived up to even half of it's promises it would have been amazing!

Associate
I think last I read, Bioware are pretty much re-designing the game to fix all the issues raised. When that will be done is anyone's guess, but I am sure knowing EA, they'll charge for it and called it Anthem 2.

Back
Top Bottom