• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

No way Nvidia has spent all this effort establishing the new normal just to under write it off next gen. 5080 will be in line within 10% of a 4090 for £1000-1200 IMO. 5090+40% for £1800-2000.
Nvidia only set these prices because they had a tonne of ampere stock to sell (Jensen called it layering)

people wasn’t supposed to buy ADA as it was priced to look so unattractive that no one in their right mind would buy it, take the 4080 for example, it received a 71% price rise which was more than the previous 20 years combined and 40% die cut. What consumer in any other sector would accept this?

Fortunately most consumers didn’t as evidenced by Nvidia’s poor gaming revenues this year but enough did and combined with the booming AI sector Nvidia can just leave prices there for now.

Nvidia only set these prices because they had a tonne of ampere stock to sell (Jensen called it layering)

people wasn’t supposed to buy ADA as it was priced to look so unattractive that no one in their right mind would buy it, take the 4080 for example, it received a 71% price rise which was more than the previous 20 years combined and 40% die cut. What consumer in any other sector would accept this?

Fortunately most consumers didn’t as evidenced by Nvidia’s poor gaming revenues this year but enough did and combined with the booming AI sector Nvidia can just leave prices there for now.

While what you say is true I think your not focusing on the profit margins. From a business perspective;

There is no real competition.

GPUs sold to consumers with higher margins is often better than multiple sold more competitively.

People have proven they will pay high for the top end.

One-Two year in it's easy for people to take a moral stand, 3-4 years many more people will break.

And the big one;

Any wafers left will be sold to the business sector for things like AI.

It just makes sense on every business level. Now this is the new normal I guarantee a 5080 with the performance of a 4090 would be spun into a good deal by the majority of the world. The only way this new pricing changes is if AMD or Intel can be more competitive. Nvidia played their hand as well as they possibly could getting gamers to focus on DLSS 2, Frame gen and Ray Tracing.

From a personal perspective while it is frustrating having to pay more, you only need to do it once. I'll likely upgrade every gen and recoup half the cost + back.

Pfft! Am walking with swagger now as just upgraded to a 6700xt from a GTX 970. None of this "4090" nonsense!

Was looking out for deals for ages but not a lot happening.

Given that the 970 has been decent for me for the past 5 years at my level of gaming, I'm hoping I'll get the same from 6700xt.
No horror stories with AMD driver issues yet!

I don't think there will be any 4090 sales. Can't have a sale if you don't have the stock lol.

Have stock or even restock.. they did that scummy trick with the 3090 FE went from £1400 (out of stock at time) to £950 but of course never was stocked ever again only the 3090ti at the reduced price after they realised people were not stupid enough to pay the original retail price of $2000 ... £1850.. Then they tried to force AIBS to reduce their prices for them too and none did and only reduced them to no where near NVIDIA's fake FE prices of the 3090 and even the 3090ti AIBS were still over £1500 when they tried to fire sell the AIB cards .. :rolleyes: Then EVGA said bye bye Nvidia as they had enough of the games and were not willing to fall for that again with the 40 series.

The 4090 Suprim just went up £100 on Overclockers in the last few hours. How can they justify an extra £100. We are at £2100 now, +£300 from last month.

Crazy times, hard to believe it's the exchange rate lol.

So they can fake the sale price later and say £100's off for the BF sale... honestly over last 3 years watched the retailer games and now only retailers that get my money are behaving right or have the cheapest price for what I need at the time.. or some bargain they have on at time because they are overstocked or some miracle happened.. Retailers that gouge will never see my money again. Tired of being ripped off by greedy retailers now too and greedy pc hardware manufacturers. Time is ticking for all of them now from gaming to even office pc hardware, even companies are now buying cheap mini PCs instead of desktops because of the price and power use. So wishing PC retailers/manufacturers the best of luck in the UK market that is for sure going to end up down the drain. Greed is the disease in this market in UK and electrical goods in general here are always way overpriced compared to other countries and the USA prices.

XTX for 800 does not sounds too crazy, thats just a 15% drop from current price but I cannot see 4080 dropping to that level. Even if they offer it at 900 it will sell out quickly...
Seems that lots of shops will start BF sales earlier (17th Nov), any experience in the past years if more stuff gets discounted on the actual BF day or shouldn't count on that ?

You could have for a MSI xtx in the bay recently with their £75 off for £845, so I don't think it's far off at all, I wasn't quick enough so ended up getting one of the rainforest for £917, but it may go back depending if any decent deals come up next week

I might buy a 6700XT if I see one at a good price, under £270-300 ideally. Otherwise I'll sit out until next gen and see what prices are like then.

My whole PC needs an update in a year or two anyway as it's years old now (Ryzen 1600 with 16GB Ram, no GPU currently).

I might buy a 6700XT if I see one at a good price, under £270-300 ideally. Otherwise I'll sit out until next gen and see what prices are like then.

My whole PC needs an update in a year or two anyway as it's years old now (Ryzen 1600 with 16GB Ram, no GPU currently).

~£270 price point has been available in the past for a 6700xt Powercolor Fighter, and I think it included Starfield at the time too.

IMO anything above that price (especially without a free game) on black Friday isn't a genuine deal (obviously factor in a bit of adjustment for better models).

Slightly off topic on GPUs but agree with what people have said in here about black friday in general. I'm looking to get my bro a 990 pro m.2 for his birthday. And I can't help thinking the prices are being inflated on the run up. Look at how consistant the price has been in the last 3 months and then suddenly we're on the rise (and in this specific case the average price from most retailors is around £100). I'm now waiting for it to have money off and to go back to the price it was originally lol. We shall see. :)

Price-Increase.jpg

Slightly off topic on GPUs but agree with what people have said in here about black friday in general. I'm looking to get my bro a 990 pro m.2 for his birthday. And I can't help thinking the prices are being inflated on the run up. Look at how consistant the price has been in the last 3 months and then suddenly we're on the rise (and in this specific case the average price from most retailors is around £100). I'm now waiting for it to have money off and to go back to the price it was originally lol. We shall see. :)

Price-Increase.jpg
It certainly looks the case when you look at PC Part Picker! It feels insulting that retailers know that we know this yet continue to do so. That said there's a sucker born every minute...

Back
Top Bottom