• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

Associate
Think it's a case that not everyone will use such comparison charts and assume blindly that it's a genuine discount when it's not. It's only from seeing on these forums regarding prices changes that I'm more aware myself.

Noted on the mention of the 6700XT previously being £270 anyway on that note. I'll see what 'deals' happen and go from there.

Associate
I picked up a mispriced 4070ti on Sunday, they were gone in 10mins. Less than £500 when you include the 'damaged box' discount ;).

I'd still go for a 4080 if there was a good price. Or just wait for the Super refresh?
4070ti 12gb be like:
image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Associate
You really have to be a mug to buy a GPU right now unless you have no other choice.

The new Steam Deck is coming out for £479 soon. That gets you a very nice HDR OLED screen, a quad core Zen 2 CPU, an RDNA 2 GPU, 16GB LPDDR5 RAM, a 512GB SSD, a carry case, a USB C charger, a battery, track pads, joysticks, buttons and speakers.

All that for £30 cheaper than the cheapest 7800xt (basically a 3 year old GPU) or £80 cheaper than the cheapest 4070 available on Overclockers.

Even if you don't care about portable gaming, this has to put into perspective how badly nVidia, AMD and the retailer's are trying to rip you off.

Associate
So they can fake the sale price later and say £100's off for the BF sale... honestly over last 3 years watched the retailer games and now only retailers that get my money are behaving right or have the cheapest price for what I need at the time.. or some bargain they have on at time because they are overstocked or some miracle happened.. Retailers that gouge will never see my money again. Tired of being ripped off by greedy retailers now too and greedy pc hardware manufacturers. Time is ticking for all of them now from gaming to even office pc hardware, even companies are now buying cheap mini PCs instead of desktops because of the price and power use. So wishing PC retailers/manufacturers the best of luck in the UK market that is for sure going to end up down the drain. Greed is the disease in this market in UK and electrical goods in general here are always way overpriced compared to other countries and the USA prices.

True Yorkshireman speaking here - we're tight AF

Soldato
You really have to be a mug to buy a GPU right now unless you have no other choice.

The new Steam Deck is coming out for £479 soon. That gets you a very nice HDR OLED screen, a quad core Zen 2 CPU, an RDNA 2 GPU, 16GB LPDDR5 RAM, a 512GB SSD, a carry case, a USB C charger, a battery, track pads, joysticks, buttons and speakers.

All that for £30 cheaper than the cheapest 7800xt (basically a 3 year old GPU) or £80 cheaper than the cheapest 4070 available on Overclockers.

Even if you don't care about portable gaming, this has to put into perspective how badly nVidia, AMD and the retailer's are trying to rip you off.

Also don't forget the Lenovo Legion Go with a Z1 Extreme APU (cpu zen 4 8 core/16 thread, RDNA 3 gpu) too that recently came out that also has more performance than a steam deck, larger screen, detachable controllers, case, charger, battery, nvme 4 512GB/1TB and a full windows 11 pc. If they can do all that in a portable gaming device.. well it says a lot about the full sized components that were always cheaper in the past when compared to portable pc devices and laptops even.. but now gaming consoles like PS5/Xbox, handheld consoles/pcs and even gaming laptops are giving more for the money...

Also Asus Rog Ally and all the other off brand handhelds are doing the same too.. Making desktop components look really bad value.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks. So 700 or in and around that price is what to realistically hope for. That's my budget I think anyway, unless I see something unmissable.
I'd hope so, I think where I got mine (that price) was the lowest they've been, but I think it's a price that the 7900XT makes sense... I wouldn't have bought it above that (even at £750) and £500 for a 7800XT seems a little steep. I'd take that over a 4070 at £560, but tbh neither wouldn't have got me upgrade from my 3060ti

Associate
I'd hope so, I think where I got mine (that price) was the lowest they've been, but I think it's a price that the 7900XT makes sense... I wouldn't have bought it above that (even at £750) and £500 for a 7800XT seems a little steep. I'd take that over a 4070 at £560, but tbh neither wouldn't have got me upgrade from my 3060ti
I think the pricing around the 7800xt at the minute is decent. Not amazing but decent. 500 pounds for good AIB cards, for 7800xt and I'll definitely bite, so long as nothing better is out there.

Associate
I think the pricing around the 7800xt at the minute is decent. Not amazing but decent. 500 pounds for good AIB cards, for 7800xt and I'll definitely bite, so long as nothing better is out there.
The MBA was £499 on OCuk for the last 2 weeks and sold pretty well (over 70 in 10 days sales).

It’s a quiet and cool card and looks up there with the nitro in aesthetics.

I’ve overclocked mine to match a 6950xt on timespy (22000).

Last edited:
Associate
The MBA was £499 on OCuk for the last 2 weeks and sold pretty well (over 70 in 10 days sales).

It’s a quiet and cool card and looks up there with the nitro in aesthetics.

I’ve overclocked mine to match a 6950xt on timespy (22000).
That's nice to hear. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm just putting together a new build and, as of yet, haven't had the chance to look at reviews for every 7800xt. Perhaps, we can expect around 450 for reference model which will be definitely appealing, if as you say, it is a good card.

Associate
That's nice to hear. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm just putting together a new build and, as of yet, haven't had the chance to look at reviews for every 7800xt. Perhaps, we can expect around 450 for reference model which will be definitely appealing, if as you say, it is a good card.

Yeh I’m pretty satisfied with it. Solid build quality and all black so goes nicely with most builds.

GACwOOI.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I also belong to the small group that managed to grab a brand new 4070 Ti for circa £460 due to a retailer misprice lately.

Whilst the 12GB VRAM might become an issue in the future, I'm hoping to upgrade to a 5070 in 2025, depending on the price/performance of the 5000 series. There's nothing coming out next year that will dramatically affect the GPU market.

I tend to shop with value in mind, so just had a look at my recent GPU ownership history:

-> New Vega 56 bought for £240 in Jul 2019
->New 3060 Ti FE bought for £370 in Nov 2021
<-Vega 56 sold for £460 in Dec 2021
->Used 3080 10GB bought for £400 in Jul 2023
<-3060 Ti FE sold for £260 in Jul 2023
->New 4070 Ti bought for £460
<-3080 10GB sold for £415

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom