• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

The rumoured specs.of the 5080 are depressing when you compare it to the 5090. What happened to the days when you could get high end graphic cards that were 85% of the flagship?
Unfortunately the mining boom shown Nvidia that some gamers would willing to pay £1200 for a 70 class product.

How on earth do you know that?
It just sounds like sour grapes on your part.
Not sour grapes, just a reasonable deduction. The majority in the UK are poor - even if you're earning 50-60k, once you take away tax, expenses, savings, how many of those actually have cash on hand to spend 1k+ on a GPU.

Credit industry is booming.

Last edited:
Not sour grapes, just a reasonable deduction. The majority in the UK are poor - even if you're earning 50-60k, once you take away tax, expenses, savings, how many of those actually have cash on hand to spend 1k+ on a GPU.

What we have here is a fundamental misunderstanding on how averages work.

Even total global sales of GPU's is about 20-30million per year, even if you disinclude big population countries with low GDP, you're still talking about less than 1 percent of the population buying graphics cards, for cards like the 90, 80, even the 70 class cards it becomes a vanishingly small percentage. Any talks of "most people" are utter nonsense.

Even if you just took xx80 and 90 card sales and spread it over the whole of just countries like UK, Europe, US etc., its like 0.3% of the population bought one, so do I think that the top 10% of earners in those countries could afford an 80 or 90 card without even thinking about it? Yes I do.

Any reference to average wages is completely irrelevant, because that's not how wage tiers work.

Last edited:
It’s an enthusiast forum for nutters like me who love tech. There will always be the asperational kit. Be it v8 cars or stronk graphics cards.

It was a huge mistake from Nvidia and resulted in weeks/months of drama for retailers and stress for the customers, where thousands of pre-orders never saw the light of day.

It'll never happen again - the xx80 card will be substantially slower than the xx90/titan card going forward, this is the new status quo.

99% of these threads is filled with people not being able to accept and or complaining about this - should indeed have a separate thread for people to discuss the price and leave the fun stuff separate. I mean we get it - everyone would like a 5080 with 90% of the 5090 performance for £500 like the good old days. Not going to happen.
Mistake? I dunno, Nvidia was still seeing higher revenue from its gaming segment back then compared to at any point over the past 2 years.

Mistake? I dunno, Nvidia was still seeing higher revenue from its gaming segment back then compared to at any point over the past 2 years.
Over that time they've tripled their total revenue though, they could stop selling gaming GPU's altogether and still be making more than they were in 3080 days. And it's not like it's actually hurting them as their market share is also at an all time high.

Last edited:
What we have here is a fundamental misunderstanding on how averages work.

Even total global sales of GPU's is about 20-30million per year, even if you disinclude big population countries with low GDP, you're still talking about less than 1 percent of the population buying graphics cards, for cards like the 90, 80, even the 70 class cards it becomes a vanishingly small percentage. Any talks of "most people" are utter nonsense.

Even if you just took xx80 and 90 card sales and spread it over the whole of just countries like UK, Europe, US etc., its like 0.3% of the population bought one, so do I think that the top 10% of earners in those countries could afford an 80 or 90 card without even thinking about it? Yes I do.

Any reference to average wages is completely irrelevant, because that's not how wage tiers work.
Using the whole population isn't a valid metric - only a subset are relevant to the market.

Pretty broad assumption that people earning in the top 10% can afford it. The average person has poor financial literacy.

Using the whole population isn't a valid metric - only a subset are relevant to the market.

Pretty broad assumption that people earning in the top 10% can afford it. The average person has poor financial literacy.
Yes, that's exactly my point, you're using an average wage which relies entirely on using the whole population. Durrrrrr.

Yes, that's exactly my point, you're using an average wage which relies entirely on using the whole population. Durrrrrr.
And then you proceeded to do exactly the same thing :cry:

XX70 and XX80 card fits your average enthusiast gamer, and a lot more of those people will fall into the 80% wage earner bracket.

Though what will have a huge impact imho is the limitations of silicon wafer production... we are at what 4nm now with options for 3nm but once you get to 2nm that's pretty much it for silicon. So unless they can get mGPU chiplets working well you aren't going to see big generational improvements, at which point the need to upgrade becomes more like a TV appliance or console every 5years or so.

Add to that more fabrication becoming available... Nvidia will just end up pricing themselves out much like Cisco, Intel and IBM did in years gone by.

tbh look at where we are already, if it wasn't for PCVR I wouldn't even be interested in a 5090 product never mind actually buying one I mean just following the news etc

And then you proceeded to do exactly the same thing :cry:

XX70 and XX80 card fits your average enthusiast gamer, and a lot more of those people will fall into the 80% wage earner bracket.
Yes, in order to explain the faulty basis of someone's argument you sometimes have to use a similar chain of thought to show how it doesn't extrapolate.

I was trying to point out that the data you're using to make you're point doesn't fit, you're just guessing wildly.

When the 3090 was revealed, the general 'accepted' reaction of this forum was that the x090 tag should never be used for anything that wasn't a dual GPU, as that's what it had been previously used for. Even though it was only a couple of gens - the GTX 590 and 690. The Titan branding came after that with Titan Z being the last one.

Imo that was rubbish as the time as prior to the GTX 295 they had just added an x2 onto x900 single chip named cards.

If the 5090 comes out at with a £2000 price tag I suggest just ignoring it like most of us used to pass by all the - very expensive - dual GPU cards in the past.

If the 5090 is twice as fast as the 5080 maybe that qualifies as a dual GPU

Is the UK turning into a 3rd world country?

Yes, in order to explain the faulty basis of someone's argument you sometimes have to use a similar chain of thought to show how it doesn't extrapolate.

I was trying to point out that the data you're using to make you're point doesn't fit, you're just guessing wildly.
You're missing the point though. Wage ranges show that most people earn relatively poorly (when you consider expenses and what people should be saving).

Gaming isn't isolated to the wealthy, so in a group of 100 gamers, maybe 10-20 are high earners; that doesn't mean the other 80-90 aren't willing to buy a 1k+ card.

If the 5090 is twice as fast as the 5080 maybe that qualifies as a dual GPU
It won't be twice as fast as cuda doesn't scale linearly but if the leaked specs are correct then I'm expecting the 5090 to be 50% faster so similar gap traditionally between the top card and the 70 non ti class. It's sad for the majority of gamers as each gen everything under the 90 seems to be getting downgraded by a tier.

You're missing the point though. Wage ranges show that most people earn relatively poorly (when you consider expenses and what people should be saving).

Gaming isn't isolated to the wealthy, so in a group of 100 gamers, maybe 10-20 are high earners; that doesn't mean the other 80-90 aren't willing to buy a 1k+ card.
Again you're just making that up based on nothing. How many PC gamers live with parents and have basically zero costs so all their wages are disposable? How many get their PC gear as Christmas/birthday presents, save up etc?
You have no data to support any of this.

Of my 10 closest friends, only one of them has a gaming PC and he's on like a 2060 still. I've got a 3080 now and planning to get a 5090. Like, there's just no way for you to know the wages or spending habits of a large proportion of 80-90 card buyers, it just doesn't make any sense.

The fact that people are buying the cards at the prices they are tells us that those people at least think they can "afford" it. But any references to what "average" people do is completely irrelevant.

"Most people" aren't PC gamers at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom