• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

has not kopite7kimi generally been quite accurate with leaks? I suppose operative word here is "significant".

Nvidia can charge more but I doubt market will absorb any higher prices, I can see many switching over to ps pro. We should find out soon. Most of these games are console ports anyway and are not worlds better on pc anyway.

not with pricing, its still a moving target in high level discussions at nvidia,
though there shouldnt be wild swings to the tune of 30% because the mgmt would have made some assumptions while providing guidance to investors and for their internal mis/budgeting purposes
however, +/-15% is still a reasonable band, 1450-1700-2000 for comparison purposes

Last edited:
the analysis doesnt make much sense, price to perf should be compared with last gen upgrade options, unlike the closing argument provided in the video where he is making a value judgement about the supposed gulf between 5090 and a 5080..
also if the rumors are true then nvidia isnt really targeting 4080 users but rather the 5080 is being aimed at users who are currently on a 3080/90 or older platforms
so the price to perf will have to be compared accordingly
The trouble is that the current 40 series was so poor in price to performance that its easy to make anything look like an improvement by sticking with the same awful pricing.

Likewise if you compare a 5080 to a 3080 then you should also be comparing a 1080 to 3080 to see what a 2 gen improvement is like historically and in the case of a 1080 to 3080 it's 126% more performance for 17% more money so a 109% improvement to price performance over 2 gens, lets see if the 5080 can get close to that.

The trouble is that the current 40 series was so poor in price to performance that its easy to make anything look like an improvement by sticking with the same awful pricing.

Likewise if you compare a 5080 to a 3080 then you should also be comparing a 1080 to 3080 to see what a 2 gen improvement is like historically and in the case of a 1080 to 3080 it's 126% more performance for 17% more money so a 109% improvement to price performance over 2 gens, lets see if the 5080 can get close to that.

too convoluted and is not going to help in making a sound decision, often a flaw with decision making is to include options that are no longer available
rather just compare 3080 fps/3080 price and 5080 fps/5080 price.. if LHS < RHS, you got a sound basis for a deal
since its a buying decision you have got to look at actual and not advertised prices

edit: again this assumes that the person is actually using a 3080 and is currently willing to explore an upgrade path

Last edited:
too convoluted and is not going to help in making a sound decision, often a flaw with decision making is to include options that are no longer available
rather just compare 3080 fps/3080 price and 5080 fps/5080 price.. if LHS < RHS, you got a sound basis for a deal
since its a buying decision you have got to look at actual and not advertised prices

edit: again this assumes that the person is actually using a 3080 and is currently willing to explore an upgrade path
This is going to be me. Moving from the 3080 to the 4080 felt too small an improvement, especially given the ridiculous price, so I’m hoping the 5080 does more (it won’t).

That being said, I fully expect it to be overpriced but I’m willing to wait. The reason we’re in this situation is because stupid people are too keen to waste their money. It’s like spending £60 to preorder an unfinished “AAA” game; or £800 on a PS5 with ancient hardware.

The reason we’re in this situation is because stupid people are too keen to waste their money. It’s like spending £60 to preorder an unfinished “AAA” game; or £800 on a PS5 with ancient hardware.
People having disposable income to buy things they enjoy and get “value” from hardly makes them stupid does it?
That said, I agree on pre-ordering digital games.

People having disposable income to buy things they enjoy and get “value” from hardly makes them stupid does it?
That said, I agree on pre-ordering digital games.
I bet a large portion of those people can't actually afford it/have poor levels of savings.

Obviously people can do what they want with their money, as long as they aren't complaining about scalpers or the fact that their new game is 1-dimensional and enemies keep clipping through the walls.

I bet a large portion of those people can't actually afford it/have poor levels of savings.

Obviously people can do what they want with their money, as long as they aren't complaining about scalpers or the fact that their new game is 1-dimensional and enemies keep clipping through the walls.

Why would you bet that?

Why would you bet that?
Maybe bet is the wrong word, but if you look at average earning bands, average expenses/cost of living, general lack of financial literacy, etc. most people can't afford these inflated prices without negatively impacting their long-term financial situation.

The rumoured specs.of the 5080 are depressing when you compare it to the 5090. What happened to the days when you could get high end graphic cards that were 85% of the flagship?

When the 3090 was revealed, the general 'accepted' reaction of this forum was that the x090 tag should never be used for anything that wasn't a dual GPU, as that's what it had been previously used for. Even though it was only a couple of gens - the GTX 590 and 690. The Titan branding came after that with Titan Z being the last one.

Imo that was rubbish as the time as prior to the GTX 295 they had just added an x2 onto x900 single chip named cards.

If the 5090 comes out at with a £2000 price tag I suggest just ignoring it like most of us used to pass by all the - very expensive - dual GPU cards in the past.

Maybe bet is the wrong word, but if you look at average earning bands, average expenses/cost of living, general lack of financial literacy, etc. most people can't afford these inflated prices without negatively impacting their long-term financial situation.
They aren't aimed at "most people". PC gamers are already a subset of "people", and then as you go up the tier list the subset gets smaller and smaller. The actual number of x090 cards sold is tiny compared with the general population.

An "average" household does not own an xx90 card, if anything they have a playstation or something similar, not even a gaming PC at all.

Last edited:
They aren't aimed at "most people". PC gamers are already a subset of "people", and then as you go up the tier list the subset gets smaller and smaller. The actual number of x090 cards sold is tiny compared with the general population.

An "average" household does not own an xx90 card, if anything they have a playstation or something similar, not even a gaming PC at all.
That wasn't my comment. I said that a large number of people who own those things can't realistically afford them.

It's a general problem where everything is overpriced because companies are trying to push revenue numbers. Only way it'll change is if people stop buying them.

That wasn't my comment. I said that a large number of people who own those things can't realistically afford them.

It's a general problem where everything is overpriced because companies are trying to push revenue numbers. Only way it'll change is if people stop buying them.
I know what you said, you also expanded your reasoning, I just don't agree with it, I really don't think people who can't afford it are buying it, on the whole.

3080 was 85% of the flagship 3090

It was a huge mistake from Nvidia and resulted in weeks/months of drama for retailers and stress for the customers, where thousands of pre-orders never saw the light of day.

It'll never happen again - the xx80 card will be substantially slower than the xx90/titan card going forward, this is the new status quo.

99% of these threads is filled with people not being able to accept and or complaining about this - should indeed have a separate thread for people to discuss the price and leave the fun stuff separate. I mean we get it - everyone would like a 5080 with 90% of the 5090 performance for £500 like the good old days. Not going to happen.

Last edited:
I know what you said, you also expanded your reasoning, I just don't agree with it, I really don't think people who can't afford it are buying it, on the whole.
It wasn't specifically aimed at the XX90 either - that's definitely a niche market with different buying patterns to everything below it.

The main point is that anyone expecting these cards to be reasonably priced is dreaming - people have poor spending habits.

Back
Top Bottom