• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

You know what, it's the 'fiddling around' part and getting things to run best as they can that I secretly and weirdly enjoy in the whole PC gaming lark. It's part of the 'hobby' aspect for me. Anyone else?

Polar opposite for me. If I wanted to compromise I’d stick with my PS5, not spend a small fortune on a PC.

Much prefer putting the settings to max and just playing the game. However, that’s an expensive business @ 4K.

GeForce app...

You should be ashamed of yourself sir!

Why? It does the same job with one button. My time is more valuable than sitting there tweaking for an extra 1fps I don't need.

Anyway, doesn't matter for the 20 year old games I play. Making the most of my setup :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Why? It does the same job with one button. My time is more valuable than sitting there tweaking for an extra 1fps I don't need.

Anyway, doesn't matter for the 20 year old games I play. Making the most of my setup :D

It gets it wrong a lot of the times that's why. At least on new games anyway. Plus manually tweaking is better and for me more fun :D

It gets it wrong a lot of the times that's why. At least on new games anyway. Plus manually tweaking is better and for me more fun :D

Does it? Genuinely not noticed, it generally puts the slider to quality and then sets most things right.
Only weird one is on Stellaris where it insists putting it on some potato res 1440p

That’s exactly what I want.

My 3090 gets there with fiddling / compromise, which I find a bit faffy. Sometimes I wonder whether the benefit of a better GPU is being able to ‘set and forget’.

I was messing around with DLSS settings and ray tracing on Hogwarts Legacy for about an hour yesterday…
I would start by assuming a 3090 will run Hogwarts at 60fps with everything on High and DLSS at every major resolution below 4k. That would be my starting point.

I would start by assuming a 3090 will run Hogwarts at 60fps with everything on High and DLSS at every major resolution below 4k. That would be my starting point.

Thanks.

With ray tracing off, everything at ultra and ‘DLSS quality’, it tends to hover at +110 with occasional dips to 90ish, so have capped it to 100fps via nvidea control panel and have left it like that. Might cap it down to 90, save on those temps!

Thanks.

With ray tracing off, everything at ultra and ‘DLSS quality’, it tends to hover at +110 with occasional dips to 90ish, so have capped it to 100fps via nvidea control panel and have left it like that. Might cap it down to 90, save on those temps!
Ok then it runs great! What is the impact of RT on your frames?

Ok then it runs great! What is the impact of RT on your frames?

It tanks it considerably. Maybe by 30% for low.

I did find this YouTube video really helpful in understanding the performance hits and the value.

The RT bit starts from 8:42.

The effect does make subtle ambient lighting took quite a bit better but it was also make surfaces a little mirrory and ‘hyper realistic’. It IS better but having it off is still good and tbh unless your A/Bing you’d never really know.

Seeking vids like this is really worth it :)

Edit: Oh just to add, I personally perceive the difference between 60fps to 90fps to be always be worth making sacrifices for.

Last edited:
better they don't release this year, it seems all big releases flop this year and over to you AMD. Intel are on fire :D

I don't think these are releasing in September, there would have been leaks.

Last edited:

looks like amd (with their mediocre products) is going to beat nvidia to the market this generation
That would probably be to AMD's advantage. There will always be some people desperate enough for an upgrade that they'll jump at the first to come along, even if something better is just a few months behind it.

Without wanting to re-open debates on AMD's marketing... I think launching slightly later than Nvidia played out very badly for AMD in the last couple of generations. The performance levels of the Nvidia cards were already well-known by the time AMD hit the shelves and, at that point, "a bit cheaper, competitive in raster, much worse at raytracing and upscaling" isn't a compelling sales pitch, at least at the higher end of the market. Go first and they get, however briefly, to have the fastest card around for a while (assuming their top-end card can beat the 4090, at least in raster).

Back
Top Bottom