• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Man of Honour
i really don't want yearly releases

Buying a gpu that could cost over 1.5k and seeing it being outdated by a new model in less then 12 months which then leads to a huge value drop

But guess this would be great news for the secondhand GPU buyers

More models and more choice is ultimately better.

You could continue to buy every other year.

The unnecessary need to have the best is what will be causing any unnecessary grief :p

Caporegime

Buying a gpu that could cost over 1.5k and seeing it being outdated by a new model in less then 12 months which then leads to a huge value drop

Used to be 7 or 8 months in some intances back in the day for releases, though we weren't paying a grand plus back then..

Caporegime
when did it change to 2 year cycles ?

i can't remember for sure ,But thinking it was somewhere around the 9800gtx or 1080gtx time

The gamers nexus video from the other day had the launch cadence of both companies in a chart. I think the 2 year thing kicked in when they were stuck on 28nm for a few years. Around 2015 or so maybe?

Soldato

This is fantastic news.

Soldato
if they change to yearly cycle how will the process nodes support such a cycle? Usually advances are reliant not only on architecture design but also process node advances these go hand in had usually. We are already down to 3nm very soon 2 and then 1 ect, where the advancement in node technology is set to slow down barring some transistor material breakthrough or stackable designs with some miracle cooling throw in there. Up top now there has been steady process in manufacturing technology but from my understanding things are about to slow down. Does leather jacket man know something we don't? The only solution I can think of is something similar to what AMD did with the Ryzen CPU. Multi die GPU with a fast interconnect between them this will certainly work better with AI compute type work but gaming might have drawbacks like SLI did. I wonder if SLI will make a comeback again?

Soldato
Would not be a problem if they had good price to performance in the mid/higher end, give us a card with 80-90% performance of the highest end card but at a much cheaper price.

if you were siting at Jensen table and made this suggestion I have feeling he would slapped you. YOU WANT WHAT, how dare you, just for that ill increase prices even more next year :D

Soldato
if you were siting at Jensen table and made this suggestion I have feeling he would slapped you. YOU WANT WHAT, how dare you, just for that ill increase prices even more next year :D
He deserves a good booing on stage at some point though :p

You mean you want something a 5080 for 2k with 85% of the performance of a 3k 5090
Prices can't just keep going up and up though, can they?

Soldato
I want a 5080 for £899 that is around 4090 performance. Does not need 24GB. 16 is enough :D
But when will the "is 16GB vram enough" thread turn up?

fc.png

Caporegime
But when will the "is 16GB vram enough" thread turn up?

fc.png

Hopefully Nvidia GPUs come with more vram this time and someone can create the "is 24gb vram enough" thread :cry: :D

It'll be interesting to see what Nvidia do this time round though as vram is very important for these ai/ml workloads so I imagine they'll probably want to provide considerably more across the board or more likely they'll keep it for the 5090 and charge some ridiculous sum for it.....

Soldato
OP
Hopefully Nvidia GPUs come with more vram this time and someone can create the "is 24gb vram enough" thread :cry: :D

It'll be interesting to see what Nvidia do this time round though as vram is very important for these ai/ml workloads so I imagine they'll probably want to provide considerably more across the board or more likely they'll keep it for the 5090 and charge some ridiculous sum for it.....
crazy money as usal knowing nvidia..

Soldato

A 5090 coming a year after 4090 would not make the 4090 obsolete since it still remains a strong card.

You'll need software go push things quite far, which I doubt it will happen.

Associate
I don't see how the announcement that AI development getting a yearly cadence suggests in any way that the gaming segment will also get changed to 1 year. They don't use the same chips/designs.

edit: I've just gone and searched for further sources. Some articles only mention AI, but The Verge and Business Today claim all chips including gaming are changing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom