• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Believe what that the price was crazy and still is or that the 4090 is still a large performance gap from the other models?

Both of which are true....

The price was justified because nothing else existed that delivered the same performance, nothing else still exists today.

When there is nothing to compete with, the price can be whatever and people will pay it if they want the best at the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
A 3090 was 55% faster than a 2080ti for 25% more money so not exactly dire, if a 5090 was 55% faster for 25% more money so 2k do you think people would bite?
but it wasn't even 10% faster than a 3080, 3090 was as dire as dire gets for gaming

well I can't answer for others they have their own decisions to make and it maybe they are coming from older GPUs, but for me I need to see +70% in raw performance and I think we will land on less than 50% vs a 4090 for me that is not enough, don't get me wrong though if we do see another performance beast sure I'd be interested

Soldato
but it wasn't even 10% faster than a 3080, 3090 was as dire as dire gets for gaming

well I can't answer for others they have their own decisions to make and it maybe they are coming from older GPUs, but for me I need to see +70% in raw performance and I think we will land on less than 50% vs a 4090 for me that is not enough, don't get me wrong though if we do see another performance beast sure I'd be interested
The 3090s 55% over the previous gen was almost as good as the 4090 in terms of generational uplift, had Nvidia not released a 3080 and instead went with a 16gb 3070 priced at £1200 then the 3090 would have seemed like a fantastic card.

Soldato
The 3090s 55% over the previous gen was almost as good as the 4090 in terms of generational uplift, had Nvidia not released a 3080 and instead went with a 16gb 3070 priced at £1200 then the 3090 would have seemed like a fantastic card.
I don't agree that would look like 'there are no good options' imho

Soldato

Also it's not 10% faster than a 3080 it is actually on average 15% faster and with some new games many times faster (3x-4x) and even a 3060 12GB, 2080ti and 6700xt beats it due to the VRAM issue..

As can be seen here :-

Also the 4090 shouldn't be called a 90 class as it has no NVLINK and the 90 class were meant to be "Titan class" as the almighty nvidia sold them to us as Pro cards... 4090 is nothing more than a 4080Ti real card class and only good for gaming and tasks that use 24GB or less, where the 3090/Ti's NVLINK-ED can access 48GB and pool the Cuda cores too...

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Also it's not 10% faster than a 3080 it is actually on average 15% faster and with some new games many times faster (3x-4x) and even a 3060 12GB, 2080ti and 6700xt beats it due to the VRAM issue..

Also the 4090 shouldn't be called a 90 class as has no NVLINK and the 90 class were meant to be "Titan class" as the almighty nvidia sold them to us as Pro cards... 4090 is nothing more than a 4080Ti real card class and only good for gaming and tasks that use 24GB or less, where the 3090/Ti's NVLINK-ED can access 48GB and pool the Cuda cores too...

3090 is old news now mate. Even my 4070 Ti is a better card and I got that £575 brand new closing in a year now. 5000 series around the cornor now.

You need to let go your NVLink dreams. It's over. Nvidia want a lot more money for pro stuff now.

Soldato
3090 is old news now mate. Even my 4070 Ti is a better card and I got that £575 brand new closing in a year now. 5000 series around the cornor now.

You need to let go your NVLink dreams. It's over. Nvidia want a lot more money for pro stuff now.

Not old news for Pro use as nothing replaces them yet on the market, also 4070Ti can't even run projects my 3080Ti mobile chip with 16GB can... Nvidia's grim reaper AKA Planned Obsolescence will be knocking soon enough sadly.. We have all seen it before mate as you know...

But with all the rumours stating 50XX cards are still coming with same memory sizes as the 40xx cards then it might live a little longer, but the 192bit Bus grim reaper may visit too as they are using GDDR7 on 5xxx and probably the same Bus width and cause some issue for 40xx, 30xx and 20xx cards with GDDR6 and GDDR6X..

We have to wait and see what Nvidia's master plan will be to try getting people to upgrade again..

Soldato
Not old news for Pro use as nothing replaces them yet on the market, also 4070Ti can't even run projects my 3080Ti mobile chip with 16GB can... Nvidia's grim reaper AKA Planned Obsolescence will be knocking soon enough sadly.. We have all seen it before mate as you know...

But with all the rumours stating 50XX cards are still coming with same memory sizes as the 40xx cards then it might live a little longer, but the 192bit Bus grim reaper may visit too as they are using GDDR7 on 5xxx and probably the same Bus width and cause some issue for 40xx, 30xx and 20xx cards with GDDR6 and GDDR6X..

We have to wait and see what Nvidia's master plan will be to try getting people to upgrade again..

Games are still limited by consoles

In a recent interview the developer of the upcoming game, Kingdom Come 2, stated that the entire game open world had to be designed around the Xbox Series S, that being having 10GB of available memory. The game may have better graphics on PC that requires slightly more memory, but the core game is the same and it's designed for the small pool of memory of consoles

Memory was not expensive even at the start of this generation, all the consoles really cheaped out this generation. I really hope the next generation consoles in 2026 all have 32GB memory

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Old news mate :p:D;)

Soldato
Games are still limited by consoles

In a recent interview the developer of the upcoming game, Kingdom Come 2, stated that the entire game open world had to be designed around the Xbox Series S, that being having 10GB of available memory. The game may have better graphics on PC that requires slightly more memory, but the core game is the same and it's designed for the small pool of memory of consoles

Memory was not expensive even at the start of this generation, all the consoles really cheaped out this generation. I really hope the next generation consoles in 2026 all have 32GB memory

Xbox series S is really a 1080p device, it's not much more powerful than previous gen consoles. 16GB for the series X and PS5 was enough too for 4K when released, but the PS5 Pro should come with more memory hopefully and not the same 16GB, also if anyone noticed Sony has dropped the 8K badges on their PS5 boxes... says enough really. Agree memory was really not badly priced when they released and hopefully Sony has stocked up on cheap memory too, at least I hope the PS5 comes with 24GB and this will encourage them to do 32GB next generation.

Also agree games are limited by consoles, this is why I make sure to buy a GPU with at least same memory as the consoles at the time, yes the consoles have unified memory with the CPU and GPU but always a good call when buying a GPU to look at the current consoles what they have spec wise and the upcoming ones.

Last edited:
Soldato

You really need to overspec the console if you wanna last. 32GB would probably not be enough.

Xbox series S is really a 1080p device, it's not much more powerful than previous gen consoles.

Is 8GB 224GB/s and 2GB 56GB/s. 8GB available to devs, 2GB for the OS.

I think even Remedy with Alan Wake 2 kinda "complained" at some point on X. Alas, everything coming on Xbox has to run on that, too, being a bottleneck. Just keeping the gaming scene back...

Last edited:
Soldato
8/10 or even 12gb feels low for a console because on PC just our GPU is exceeding that, so any multiplatform games are being held back by the console's memory and our GPU's can't make full use of their memory, nor can the CPU make full use of our system memory.

At least if consoles moved to 32gb, they would bypass current PC GPU's and therefore have some room to grow, where our PC's can at least make full use of their memory.

Associate
I think personally nvidia learnt from the unlaunch of the 4080 12gb so this time they will do it right... to justify a 5080 12gb and 16gb. Making the gap bigger between 5080 and 5090 will give a spot for the 2 5080 variants also assuming the 5090 will be close to 1800, so a 5080 12gb could launch at 1000 and a 5080 16gb at 1200-1300.
MSRP £1,000 is probably well above that at launch, so who would by a 12GB card for £1,000+ in 2024/25?!

Soldato
There was a peak period for multi-GPU but the results before and after that weren't great. Mid-generation DX9 games usually worked great as they were just advanced enough for the technology to work well but mostly not so advanced they leaned heavily on graphic effects which broke compatibility with multi GPU.

I never had much problem with microstutter personally though I did do a fair bit of tuning with various tools like nvinspector and whatever the name of the one which came before that which I forget now.

I remember having a case with 2 ridiculous 380mm fans so as to tame the heat side though hah (Xclio A380). https://www.techpowerup.com/review/apluscase-twinengine/5.html
That period isn't over yet! I'm still running 2 x R290 (2011) in X-Fire.
This situation will end when Zen 5 is released. I will be going either 4080 super or drop down to a single R290 and wait for the 5 series.

Soldato
I'm
This situation will end when Zen 5 is released. I will be going either 4080 super or drop down to a single R290 and wait for the 5 series.

I had a 290x around 2013 and I was considering doing SLI but why I stopped was the amount of power draw. Not sure why anyone would willingly still want to be consuming 600watts when a modern 100watt GPU will run faster

Last edited:
Soldato
Does X-fire still work? I though most new games stopped supporting it driver wise? Unless you have some other task that uses both GPU you might as well take one out and save on electricity.

When you do finally upgrade the performance is going to be HUUUUGEEEE, you will be going basically from a GTX 1060 performance to RTX 4080.

Associate

Also the 4090 shouldn't be called a 90 class as it has no NVLINK and the 90 class were meant to be "Titan class" as the almighty nvidia sold them to us as Pro cards... 4090 is nothing more than a 4080Ti real card class and only good for gaming and tasks that use 24GB or less, where the 3090/Ti's NVLINK-ED can access 48GB and pool the Cuda cores too...
lol hand to god halfway through your post I'm like this dude's rocking a 3090 for sure and then I checked your sig and smiled knowingly to myself at how gay the phrase smiled knowingly to myself is

Back
Top Bottom