BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Had some issues when I got me 5 series from Stevenage Cars this week so sent a strong email to their general manager and as a way of an apology they
have offered me the use of an i8 for a long weekend Fri/Mon which I thought was nice gesture .....

Might go away with the wife for a night, no children....

Last edited:
Soldato
Family friend has a 56 335i SE saloon, He's had an issue with the iDrive for a few years where the screen would intermittently work, when it doesn't work (90% of the time) it'll be stuck in a boot cycle so nothing works, no radio or anything, and the dreaded £1k replacement cost.

As with most things that break, you usually find someone on a car forum who are able to fix it at a more reasonable cost, is this the case with the iDrive or is it pretty much bend over and pay up?

Ahh i can hear my DISA valve flapping around insanely in the bay, rebuild kit or genuine part from stealers?

If it's a working unit, as in the mechanism still opens and close then the rebuild, What scares me with a replacement part is the pin can still be a potential issue to grenading your engine, My M54B30 DISA needs the rebuild which hopefully should be doing next payday as mine is rattling like mad.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
BMW Oxford are an absolute joke of a dealership when it comes to customer service

Avoid at all costs. An hour and a half from arriving to being seen about my service I booked 3 months ago. I don't think I've ever waited less than 45 minutes to be seen.

Soldato
Family friend has a 56 335i SE saloon, He's had an issue with the iDrive for a few years where the screen would intermittently work, when it doesn't work (90% of the time) it'll be stuck in a boot cycle so nothing works, no radio or anything, and the dreaded £1k replacement cost.

As with most things that break, you usually find someone on a car forum who are able to fix it at a more reasonable cost, is this the case with the iDrive or is it pretty much bend over and pay up

You can replace the CCC iDrive with the CIC one for about £1000, so repairing the old CCC should be much, much cheaper than that. I'd get him to Google the symptoms and see what people recommend.

I'm guessing he's already tried disconnecting the battery, checked connections etc?

EDIT: A quick look around suggests that there are people who will do this for £300-400 (removal, coding of a used unit and replacement)

Last edited:
Soldato
You can replace the CCC iDrive with the CIC one for about £1000, so repairing the old CCC should be much, much cheaper than that. I'd get him to Google the symptoms and see what people recommend.

I'm guessing he's already tried disconnecting the battery, checked connections etc?

EDIT: A quick look around suggests that there are people who will do this for £300-400 (removal, coding of a used unit and replacement)

Yeah been done, Battery, Hard reset the lot, its just keeps on doing the continuous reboot cycle, and very rarely it'll come alive and you have radio for that journey until you turn the car off and that's your lot.

3-400 sound a lot better than £1000, thing is the car has not been used much, Last time I used it which was 2 years ago it had 99k on the clock, asked yesterday and he said car is on 102k mileage, so that's why he's been reluctant to repair it.......I should take the car off his hands ;D

Soldato
My local BMW dealership have text - yeah, text - saying that my current vehicle is eligible for a value service.

Before I waste my time ringing them up and going through the usual spiel, does anyone have any idea what this is?

Soldato
Cheers Fox, that makes sense - yeah, M135i now which had a major service late last year. Was only really asking as my girlfriend's Mini is in for a brake fluid change and small service on Saturday and figured I could get the two done as they're on the same forecourt.

Soldato
Stratstone North Tyneside.

Doesn't surprise me, their salesman couldn't be bothered to sell me a car. He told me to give him a ring once I'd had a look online (which I'd already done), only issue was he hadn't taken any of my details or even told me his name... Ended up buying from Lloyd BMW instead who were far more attentive.

Caporegime
Doesn't surprise me, their salesman couldn't be bothered to sell me a car. He told me to give him a ring once I'd had a look online (which I'd already done), only issue was he hadn't taken any of my details or even told me his name... Ended up buying from Lloyd BMW instead who were far more attentive.
See, I had your experience of stratstone with Lloyds! Showed them the car I wanted, pointed out a small amount of interior damage I wanted fixing before I would pick it up. Offered a deposit. Never heard back from them.

Soldato
See, I had your experience of stratstone with Lloyds! Showed them the car I wanted, pointed out a small amount of interior damage I wanted fixing before I would pick it up. Offered a deposit. Never heard back from them.

Odd, I was directed to a guy called Mark who was brilliant. Constantly updating me with potential cars and then when we did finally find one he was updating me with it's progress along the way. Nice little after touches too when I picked the car up, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Seems we both just got a guy on a bad day at the time!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom