BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I know for a fact this has been asked before but worth checking again for the latest advice on performance car insurance. Elephant renewal just came through and it has jumped from £525 to £1665. Admittedly the price I paid for the policy was based on my Cooper, but a £1100 increase because of the M135i is just plain ridiculous. I'm older with an extra years NCB. I ran quotes earlier last year and it was coming in at around £800. 28 years old, 6 years NCB and driving for 10 years. No claims or penalties.

I've checked the 4 main comparison websites and the cheapest so far is £1202.71. I still need to check the likes of Performance Direct, Adrian Flux, Sky Insurance and Chris Knott, plus a couple of other generic insurers like Direct Line.

Soldato
Mine's jumped up this year as well - from ~380 to 500. Again another year of NCB and I'm older but I suppose 12 or 13 years NCB makes no difference!

reasons for increases this year given by chrisknott..

1) the increase in Insurance Premium Tax (IPT), which has been going up since July 2015 and now sits at 12%,

2) the marked reduction in the Ogden discount rate for personal injury awards,

3) good old Brexit - insurers are seeing increases in the cost of vehicle repairs, fuelled by Brexit’s impact on car part prices, and

4) greater repair complexity as the level of expensive technology in vehicles increases.

Caporegime
@grudas

Those things don't equate to a roughly 30% increase for me or the 300% increase Robi is facing!

Greater repair complexity, what, have cars only evolved tech in the last 12 months?

The Ogden rate change thing was a complete farce like - has to be said. People are making a lot of money out of that one somewhere...however I do get it ain't the insurers!

Soldato
@grudas

Those things don't equate to a roughly 30% increase for me or the 300% increase Robi is facing!

Greater repair complexity, what, have cars only evolved tech in the last 12 months?

The Ogden rate change thing was a complete farce like - has to be said. People are making a lot of money out of that one somewhere...however I do get it ain't the insurers!

Basically, insurer's will milk the customer if they get a chance. Simple as that really :) this was on the news, the insurance tax etc so the idea was simple.. rather than pass the actual increase in price they simply bumped it up in random amounts. Mine has increased by £400

Soldato
Anybody here own a Z4M (convertible or coupe)?

I'm thinking of getting a weekend car next year but want something that won't depreciate (or will appreciate) and these seem like a good bet.... I'm not looking for Z3M style appreciation but it would be good to have something that I could put 2,000 fun miles on per year and make as much as I would sticking the cash in the bank. It looks like the coupes seem to be more desirable.

Are prices on the up, I seem to rememeber the convertibles were around £14k a few years ago when I had a Z4 but I could be wrong?

(Basically, am I stupid thinking I can have a Z4M and not lose any money over a minimum of 5-6 years if I buy something with around 50-60k on it?)

Soldato
Basically, insurer's will milk the customer if they get a chance. Simple as that really :) this was on the news, the insurance tax etc so the idea was simple.. rather than pass the actual increase in price they simply bumped it up in random amounts. Mine has increased by £400

There always seems to be one insurer that's interested in your demographic if you look hard enough though. Chris Knott wanted a circa £200 increase in mine this year despite having been really competitive the last two. I noticed almost every quote had went up on both my car and the fiesta, but ended up around where they were last year through a multicar type policy.

Interestingly Aviva and direct line weren't too far away this year despite usually being miles high for me. Just a case of checking every possible insurer.

Soldato
Ive just renewed my 911 turbo and thats jumped from £320 to £350. Im outraged:D. M4 quotes are around £400. Thats at 31 with 13 years NCB. Maybe you guys live in a rough area, are there burning cars nearby on a regular basis:p.

EDIT to agree with insurers bending people over at ever chance they get, same thing happened when women werent allowed to pay less it was never going to drop for us men.

OcUK Staff
I see BMW's latest M5 coming now allows you to select between 4WD and 2WD, nothing new in the world of technology, but definetely new on a sports/GT car I'd say. Guessing new one will be 600+ horsepower out the box. :)

Soldato
@Robi, my M135i is insured with Aviva, 30k miles / year, full business use cover, admittedly I'm nearly 39 but I doubt that makes much a of a difference. As we all know post codes can make a massive difference.

I saw widely varying prices from different insurers but had a few to pick from around the same price, which for me was ~£800 (gone up since last year as it was around £700, and the year before was around £600).

Soldato
Early reviews suggest the best mode in the new M5 is 4WD/4WD Sport as you still get a nice amount of slip at the rear if you want it.

It's been leaked now anyway (if officially leaked is a thing) but looks to be a cracking car. I really really hope they retain some of the F10 colours (aka, Sakhir Orange).... :D

Soldato
I know for a fact this has been asked before but worth checking again for the latest advice on performance car insurance. Elephant renewal just came through and it has jumped from £525 to £1665. Admittedly the price I paid for the policy was based on my Cooper, but a £1100 increase because of the M135i is just plain ridiculous. I'm older with an extra years NCB. I ran quotes earlier last year and it was coming in at around £800. 28 years old, 6 years NCB and driving for 10 years. No claims or penalties.

I've checked the 4 main comparison websites and the cheapest so far is £1202.71. I still need to check the likes of Performance Direct, Adrian Flux, Sky Insurance and Chris Knott, plus a couple of other generic insurers like Direct Line.

I'm very similar to you in terms of age, NCB, etc and mine is just under £500. Also in the NW. Aren't you in Manc? Might be a high risk postcode for the vehicle?

Soldato
I'm very similar to you in terms of age, NCB, etc and mine is just under £500. Also in the NW. Aren't you in Manc? Might be a high risk postcode for the vehicle?

Green Quarter is graded E, so yeah it's regarded as high risk. Thankfully not the highest!

Soldato
@Robi, my M135i is insured with Aviva, 30k miles / year, full business use cover, admittedly I'm nearly 39 but I doubt that makes much a of a difference. As we all know post codes can make a massive difference.

I saw widely varying prices from different insurers but had a few to pick from around the same price, which for me was ~£800 (gone up since last year as it was around £700, and the year before was around £600).

Aviva is now the lowest at £1166 with SDPC + business and 8k miles.

Back
Top Bottom