BMW and M Power Owners

They also stated 4 plus isn't available on condition based servicing vehicles...not sure if that's true or not?

I have noticed the same trend on BMW dealer websites. It always refers to the E46/E39 and gives their prices, under the 4 plus scheme, as "Inspection I = £XXX, Inspection II = £XXX, Oil service = £XXX"

If it's true, what a stupid name for a scheme. 4 plus suggests to me four years or old cars. The newest E46 is 6 years old!

Just for kicks at lunchtime I specced up the 1 series that I want from new...

Came in just under £32,000! :(

Hurry up and drop to £10,000 second hand !
Which one did you go for?
The 120d is probably the best compromise between performance and economy; a standard 120d M-Sport is about £26k

Realistically a £32k 1 Series is going to take about 5 years before it drops to £10k, by which time the next new model will be out ;)

The F20 135i is due out soon with optional X drive, that will be v.nice but also upwards of £30k+ options.

Last edited:
Which one did you go for?
The 120d is probably the best compromise between performance and economy; a standard 120d M-Sport is about £26k

Realistically a £32k 1 Series is going to take about 5 years before it drops to £10k, by which time the next new model will be out ;)

The F20 135i is due out soon with optional X drive, that will be v.nice but also upwards of £30k+ options.

125i with leather and Xenons mainly.

Why LOL ?

Because it's £32,000 for a 1 Series? That sort of money gets you into a new 328i!

A mid range Focus or Astra cost £20k plus options; do you understand inflation ;)

Inflation isn't the difference in cost between a Focus and a 1 Series, besides £20k+options gets you a Focus with the range topping engine.

What is it with the winks in every post you make on this subject?

[TW]Fox;21728824 said:
Inflation isn't the difference in cost between a Focus and a 1 Series,
My point being that new car prices have gone up since the 90's

[TW]Fox;21728824 said:
Because it's £32,000 for a 1 Series? That sort of money gets you into a new 328i!
Base spec though, once you have spec'd up a 328i M sport, (when it's launched) to the same equipment levels as the £32k 1 Series above, it will be close to £40k.

Last edited:
My point being that new car prices have gone up since the 90's

I don't think he was claiming otherwise.

He was saying LOL at the idea of spending £32,000 and only ending up with a BMW 1 Series. A valid opinion.

As for inflation - new car prices have not gone up as much as you think across the board. In 1996 BMW would have asked for £32,000 in return for a BMW 528i SE with leather.

Today a brand new BMW 528i SE with leather (and a heck of a lot more standard kit) is £33,000.

Just £1k more. In real terms, it's cheaper. Especially as the standard specification contains many things which were optional on the 96 model.

;)

Base spec though, once you have added Metallic paint, leather and all the other stuff to the M-Sport (when it's launched) a 328 will be much nearer to £40k

No, not base spec - Luxury spec. Leather is standard.

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;21728875 said:
No, not base spec - Luxury spec. Leather is standard.
Okay, but you're still comparing a lower range 3 Series to a top end 1 Series.
You know a 328i M-Sport will be pushing £40k once options are added, and all that £8k gives you over the 1 is a bit more room.

[TW]Fox;21728824 said:
Inflation isn't the difference in cost between a Focus and a 1 Series, besides £20k+options gets you a Focus with the range topping engine.
The base Focus and Astra cost about £15k with top models around £25k, therefore the mid range is what I posted earlier. Seriously - Mr Pedantic !!

[TW]Fox;21728875 said:
He was saying LOL at the idea of spending £32,000 and only ending up with a BMW 1 Series. A valid opinion.

I agree with that too, I will never spend £30k on a 1 series. Besides the fact that I will never buy a new car, but that is another topic all together.

My sister has a 118D, can't comment on how it drives or its engine as I have never driven it so I can only comment on the experience as a passenger. And on that front, in terms of the ride, noise level and general comfort, it is a nicer place to be than my Yaris. As it should be, when new it cost twice as much.

Although the more I research into it, the more photos I see, the more specific my list is!

I am hoping now to get one in either Black or White (yes! :p), white leather if its in black, with cruise control and upgraded sound system if possible, Bonus it it has memory seats and heated seats too, folding/auto dimming mirrors.

Okay, but you're still comparing a lower range 3 Series to a top end 1 Series.

The top end 3 Series right now is Luxury. It is not a lower range 3 Series, it is the highest trim level available. Even when M Sport is introduced it will remain one of the highest trim levels. There are 3 complete levels below it.

You know a 328i M-Sport will be pushing £40k once options are added, and all that £8k gives you over the 1 is a bit more room.

Why would there be an £8k difference between a 1 and a 3? There isn't an £8k difference now?

Lets pick a trim level thats available across both now - Sport.

120d Sport: £25k
320d Sport: £29k

A £4k difference, not an £8k difference. In the 1 Series, M Sport adds a £1100-1200 premium over Sport. I'd imagine it will be much the same with the 3 Series.

Your crusade to convince yourself a 1 Series is a 3 Series with less room is amusing though - there is a tad more that seperates them than purely leg room! One is a saloon for a start, it's a different type of car!

The base Focus and Astra cost about £15k with top models around £25k, therefore the mid range is what I posted earlier. Seriously - Mr Pedantic !!

The top of the range Focus is the Titanium X. It is £23k not £25k.

Last edited:
Unsure as to what to pick for a company lease car at the moment, really could do with the 3 series M sport being out so I can properly compare the prices!

As it stands a 120d M Sport is £50 in my pocket cheaper a month than a 320d Sport, but as it's a lease scheme it's not necessarily that clear cut as to how much more the M sport 3 might be.

Should get Fox to look at my list and pick something suitable :p

Unsure as to what to pick for a company lease car at the moment, really could do with the 3 series M sport being out so I can properly compare the prices!

As it stands a 120d M Sport is £50 in my pocket cheaper a month than a 320d Sport, but as it's a lease scheme it's not necessarily that clear cut as to how much more the M sport 3 might be.

My guess is that it will be a similar price to the 320d Luxury (trading standard leather for the alcantara with bodykit etc), which would put it at about £1500ish over the price of a Sport. This would tally with the pricing structure for the 1 Series, which is the other model in the range to have the enlarged trim range.

Leasing prices will be interesting, as I'd imagine the M Sport will have the strongest residuals, at least initially.

What do they want for a 520d M Sport? The F10 is a relative bargain - the spec level is superior to that of the 3 Series but a 520d SE is only £2k more than a 320d SE, and of course with a 320d SE you need to pay £1265 for the leather, so in reality the 5 Series is only about 800 quid more!

Last edited:
So using Fox's numbers that's about £90-£100 a month over a 1 M-Sport over three years.

You can't use list price alone to calculate predicted company car leasing costs because the leasing costs are not based on list price they are based on list price - residual value.

Yup the lease costs can't be worked out as simply as that sadly, some of the prices of cheaper stuff is just comical :p

Unusually it's cheaper on the 2 year lease than for the 3 and 4 year options, usually (and is for most other things on the list) it's more expensive for the shorter term.

Using the luxury 320d prices it's £33 more out of my pay a month as it's slightly above my allowance and £30 more a month in CC tax.

So real cost to me is another £63 a month to get a 3 over a 1.

[TW]Fox;21729111 said:
What do they want for a 520d M Sport? The F10 is a relative bargain - the spec level is superior to that of the 3 Series but a 520d SE is only £2k more than a 320d SE, and of course with a 320d SE you need to pay £1265 for the leather, so in reality the 5 Series is only about 800 quid more!

520d M sport comes to an extra £90 over after tax out my pocket and £70 a month more in company car tax.

Will have to send you the spreadsheet to see the costs, some of them are just ridiculous.

Want an Abarth 500 'convertible' for 2 years? That's a headline cost of £300 more a month than the 520d M sport...

Back
Top Bottom