BMW and M Power Owners

The 3 Series is notoriously sensitive to mismatched tyres so no wonder you are having issues. Mixing RF and non RF is also very much against advice.

Even if they are on different axles?

I'll get that sorted as soon as in that case. Have meant to get the RF fronts replaced but have just not got round to doing it. Is it worth getting wider/narrower tyres than the current staggered set, the car has 19" alloys.

The plastics in the F30 are also notoriously squeaky to the point that it's ridiculous. However, with some felt tape, silicone grease and a few hours of DIY the vast majority of them can be sorted.
Tyre roar is also quite bad on porous motorways (M25 and quite a few ones up north). The difference when driving over a smoother section of the road is absolutely incredible, but then again all BMW's have the same issue. It was doing my head in on the F30 I had to the point that I tried an Audi S3 and even a 6 series GC - they were just as bad unfortunately. The absolute shock came from an old E class taxi that took us from the rail station - significantly quieter over the same roads.

Continentals are also notorisouly loud in F30 19" sizes, I had non RFT CS6 and whilst the grip was great, the noise was horrendous, despite numerous DIY dinamat attemps at adressing it (did the whole boot floor & under the rear seats with no improvement.
I think the only hope is using a slightly different tyre size that has a better noise rating rather than the 73db of the continentals.

I'm going to apologise right from the start but having now owned my f30 335i for quite some time I in all honesty have to say I actually preferred my old Accord.

Drove to Bracknell yesterday so a good long drive along A and M roads and the car just, it's difficult to say exactly but it feel too fidgety if that makes sense. It seems to pick up every imperfection on the road, yesterday on the M25 the left hand side of the car was making a different sound to the right and I could alter it by moving the car left or right in the lane.

I did have the car checked over in March and what they did find they fixed but is this the way the 3 series is? I've also tried altering the tyre pressures, currently on around 35 but I've had them as high as 39. Currently it does have run flats on the front and non RF Contact Sport 5 on the back. The fronts will need changing in a month or 2 so I'll get them changed out to non RF.

Overall I'm just disappointed, my Accord never squeaked or rattled, my 3 series does, the audio is not that great even though I have HK.

I do love the engine and the auto gearbox though, I think my ideal car would be my old Accord with the engine and gearbox from the 3 :D

When I had my 328i i swapped the rfs out all round at the first change and the difference was night and day.

Is anyone able to get a VIN from the REG? Been offered a pre-reg M140i but wanted to see what if anything its been fitted with as an extra :)

Thanks in advance!

KE18 OKV

Buy back Accord, spend several thousands on a V6 swap from the Acura TSX bobs ya uncle....I'm stuck with the 2.4 in my Accord cause i'm a peasant D:

LOL my old accord was a 2.4 type-s, if only it had had a few more HP. To be honest there were a few issues with the Accord which was the reason for changing but as a drivers car the Accord was so much better.

I’ve now got some trim tools so I’m going to attack the rattles and get the front tyres replaced.

Maybe a... chauffer's car? :D
My old F30 330D with the M performance Power package (essentially a replacement ECU from BMW with a remap) I think there are no cars out there than can match the power/consumption of it.
Engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension (adaptive) - they were all very darn good and it was a great car for hooning around when you felt like it, even though it was still a massive step back in terms of feedback from a decent E92.

However in terms of "how solid does it feel" it was shockingly flimsy in my experience, and a quick google will show plenty sources of wind & squeaks & rattles. The wind noise (from which most suffer at some point) is a very easy fix - simply remove the plastic trim on top of the windscreen on the left hand side and it goes quiet. Replace with a new one from the dealer at the nearest opportunity.

But overall I understand what you're saying - if you never bothered troubleshooting issues (and... most people don't) then I can understand how the wind noise, squeaks & tire roar can be very frustrating at motorway speeds.

presumably, you are not obliged to top it up to the same level when you return it ?

EDIT ..ie the 15mpg? 760il ... would opt for a hybrid loaner, although a real-M might swing it.
I asked him how he got on with the M760Li,he said he loved it but found it big (odd given he’s currently got an 18 plate Ford Ranger for towing his Jet-Ski) the performance he said was epic for what it was and he said he was surprised that it felt noticeably quicker off the line than his old M4 (I think it actually is from what I’ve read) he said it averaged over the day and 350 miles he drove it 21mpg.

Liked it very much but not for him, I was annoyed that I missed an opportunity to drive it as I was away working:/

he said he was surprised that it felt noticeably quicker off the line than his old M4 (I think it actually is from what I’ve read)

Not suprised to hear that at all, it is a twin turbo v12 at the end of the day. Sure, it weighs as much as a small country but the huge tyres and 4wd must give it some rather ridiculous levels of grip and no issues in putting all the power down straight away.

I would suggest that there is something wrong with your 3 series if you really think this.
pity the accord is no longer in the UK market, can't see the USA jdpower results but aren't they topping the charts there versus 3series (maybe brexit will fix their uk imports) work colleague swore by the reliability/economy/drive of his.

But overall I understand what you're saying - if you never bothered troubleshooting issues
but (although I have done it too on a bm - gummifledge etc) you should not have to - yes ?

Morning gents.

I've recently put a small holding deposit down on an F30 330d (15 reg) with 25000 miles on the clock, its very well specced and I intend to collect on Saturday from a non-BMW dealership. I test drove it on Saturday gone and my first impressions were great. My untrained eye couldn't find anything wrong with it, but I thought I should ask here from some current owners/ex owners or anyone with a bit of experience in searching and looking for a similar car. Is there anything I should be investigating and asking the dealership about before I commit to it?

The only thing I spotted were close to legal limit tyres (but apparently within their acceptable 2mm range - like I said its a non-BMW dealership), they were 2.2mm on the rear I believe. They are refusing to offer me anything on this - other than finding me tyres from their supplier at trade price). But I intend to do a check on the tyres myself before collection.

Anyway, I would appreciate any input you folks have.

Do an HPI check, verify service history with main dealers, check iDrive for any errors, use an ODB scanner if you have one.

What are the tyre sizes? You're probably looking at £600-800 to replace all 4 with decent run-flats. Could save a couple of hundred if you go with conventional tyres and a mobility kit.

Make sure to check the condition of the paintwork, as that's expensive to fix, listen to any squeaks and creeks, as there are plenty to be had in F30s, and verify that all electronics are working without issues.

Not a lot to go wrong with these under 60k miles.

At 25k on a 3 year old car most things on a car should still be as good as new. I'm guessing its the one from Darren Allick cars?

Brakes and tyres are the only things I can think of which may be due replacement soon. Have you got the registration of the vehicle and done an MOT history check? Called any of the dealers where the car was serviced to double check if it was done and what was done?

Did they move on the price at all? 2.2mm is really a hairs width away from being on the limit so it's a rubbish form that they haven't been replaced already OR that they are replacing them at their cost. Would you buy a car that needed a service in 500 miles if the dealer wasn't prepared to do it or give you money off?

but (although I have done it too on a bm - gummifledge etc) you should not have to - yes ?
Yep, agree with that. The e92 - often criticised for its interior - was rock solid by comparisson.
The only reason why I still consider them is that these "issues" can be at least adressed in a weekend with minimal cost. You can't get 300bhp and RWD from an Accord (or insert any other car here) with such ease. And there are a few engines out there (335d for example) which the competition doesn't offer anything remotely close to what BMW does. Unfortunately that will probably no longer be the case in the UK, with the G30 already missing the twin turbo diesel engine.

Back
Top Bottom