BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
I love watching M cars slide off in the rain. Shows you who the decent drivers are!

Yup! Sometimes I forget how tail happy my M2 is in this sort of weather, I'd hate to think what the more powerful ones are like. Just have to remember the accelerator isn't just an on/off thing sometimes :D

Caporegime
Yup! Sometimes I forget how tail happy my M2 is in this sort of weather, I'd hate to think what the more powerful ones are like. Just have to remember the accelerator isn't just an on/off thing sometimes :D

2 in a row today. Both e92 m3s. Proper chavvy looking owners. First one just missed me. Second was already in a ditch by the time I was passing.

Associate
Curious if anyone has had, or knows someone who has had gearbox issues? My 1 series (2011, E82) recently started getting issues going into reverse, the stick refused to move left of the 1st/2nd gate. Out of the possibility of having a ZF Gearbox (which a reverse gear repair kit is available for) or a Getrag (which only has a 1st gear repair kit), I managed to luck out and have a getrag. I've just had a second hand gearbox fitted as a replacement, but after doing a bit of research and talking to a company near-ish to Luton that seems to see this issue on the regular, my confidence is dented that this issue won't rear it's ugly head again.

Just after thoughts/experiences if someone has come across this issue. I've no idea how actual widespread it is due to confirmation bias. If you search online for a specific problem with a product, then yeah you're going to get a lot of results fueling your suspicions. I love the car, puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it (even though its only a 118D).

But.

It put a £650 dent in me sourcing a second hand gearbox + fitting. From experience and reading, gearboxes are normally the stalwart on any car, people talk more about headgasket failures before they talk about gearboxes failures. I've kind of fallen in love a little bit with BMWs, and if I sold mine to get something without, possible, gearbox issues I really wouldn't know what to get.

For the record, 2011, 118D M sport, 45k miles, don't drive like a loon.

Man of Honour
Curious if anyone has had, or knows someone who has had gearbox issues?
When I had my 06 E90, I think I had gearbox issues...sold it pretty pronto so never got it investigated.
It was the zf6hp at the time... whenever it got to 3rd gear, there was a gentle judder which didn't happen on any other gear...

Associate
So, I had taken my Z4 in for the 3rd time, for the same issue.

They couldn't duplicate the fault, however since I had sent them videos of it happening multiple times they accepted it was there but needed more time to sort it.

They've now suggested they keep the car for 2 weeks (!) to try and figure out what's happening.

As I'd need a courtesy car, they've given me a slot for the end of October to take the car in.

Associate
So , 65 plate F10 with 44k on the clock..
Started up this morning and got a low coolant warning.. so had a check and yes sure enough I can't see any in the coolant chamber with the high/low markings..
I have noticed a funny smell when exiting the car , the last couple of nights when getting home so I wonder if that is related.

Anyway, I have no coolant in the house but there is a garage around the corner.. so I can get going again.

A quick google seems to suggest it might be an EGR issue so I'd better get it booked in with BMW to check.. anyone else suffered with similar on their F10 ?

Thanks

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Suffering with it currently on the f11, happened twice but gotta be over a year apart so not had it looked at yet. Fragile cars these BMW's.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Suffering with it currently on the f11, happened twice but gotta be over a year apart so not had it looked at yet. Fragile cars these BMW's.
Perhaps you bought a lemon or one whose previous owner didn't care for?

My dad had a 535i GT for 4 years and the only thing that broke in was the spring in the panoramic roof blind. Oh, and a marten chewed through some wiring :p

Man of Honour
So , 65 plate F10 with 44k on the clock..
Started up this morning and got a low coolant warning.. so had a check and yes sure enough I can't see any in the coolant chamber with the high/low markings..
I have noticed a funny smell when exiting the car , the last couple of nights when getting home so I wonder if that is related.

Anyway, I have no coolant in the house but there is a garage around the corner.. so I can get going again.

A quick google seems to suggest it might be an EGR issue so I'd better get it booked in with BMW to check.. anyone else suffered with similar on their F10 ?

Thanks
Any recalls outstanding? I'm pretty sure there's a big recall for that car/year to do with the EGR.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Perhaps you bought a lemon or one whose previous owner didn't care for?

My dad had a 535i GT for 4 years and the only thing that broke in was the spring in the panoramic roof blind. Oh, and a marten chewed through some wiring :p
That's a refined petrol straight 6, mine is a lumpy derv for taxi-ing. I think that is why it doesn't handle a thrashing. Had no issues with any of my petrol engines, but I did have to replace the diesel engine in my 7 and this 535d is gonna end the same way...

It's a 10 year old 100k miler that gets driven very hard by all accounts.
Also this :D (8yr old 130k+ now I think)

Back
Top Bottom