BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
He wants something 'sensible'. Either he does, in which case an old BMW is not sensible, or he doesn't really want something sensible in which case why not.

I said I wanted something 'fairly sensible'. If you read my original post you'll also see I currently have a modified R26 Megane.

I'm fairly confident taking my kids to school and nursery in a standard 5dr 12yr old BMW is more 'sensible' than taking them in a modified 3dr 12yr old Megane.

Context is everything here. This is a motoring forum, mostly full of people who enjoy their cars/driving. If I wanted full on sensible I'd buy a 1.0 focus, but considering what I currently own, and what I'm asking about, its fairly clear that's not what I want or implied when I used the word sensible.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I said I wanted something 'fairly sensible'. If you read my original post you'll also see I currently have a modified R26 Megane.

I'm fairly confident taking my kids to school and nursery in a standard 5dr 12yr old BMW is more 'sensible' than taking them in a modified 3dr 12yr old Megane.

Context is everything here. This is a motoring forum, mostly full of people who enjoy their cars/driving. If I wanted full on sensible I'd buy a 1.0 focus, but considering what I currently own, and what I'm asking about, its fairly clear that's not what I want or implied when I used the word sensible.
Don't worry, people seem to think a 10 year old bmw is a money pit... (no comment).

Buy on condition and history then you should be fine, especially with that petrol engine.

He wants something 'sensible'. Either he does, in which case an old BMW is not sensible, or he doesn't really want something sensible in which case why not.
Why is a 10 year old bmw not sensible? :confused:

BMWs should be bought new or 3 years old max, hey?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Fox drives a facelift F10 530d. This is a very sensible car for sensible people, like accountants. Something like a 10-year-old 1-Series with a big, thirsty 3-litre petrol engine is extremely foolish, as any fule kno.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
You what? It's not a 40 year old lambo
source.gif

Soldato
I think I complained about the twitchy steering on my 3 series when on the motorways here before? Car went in for a service last week and they did a steering gear recall on it and boy what a difference it has made. The constant tiny corrections that were needed before have gone and the car is so much better to drive now. This was a reason why I personally didn’t like my car but now might begin to start enjoying.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I think I complained about the twitchy steering on my 3 series when on the motorways here before? Car went in for a service last week and they did a steering gear recall on it and boy what a difference it has made. The constant tiny corrections that were needed before have gone and the car is so much better to drive now. This was a reason why I personally didn’t like my car but now might begin to start enjoying.
Nice one! I can see why that would make you hate your car, hopefully now you'll fall in love :)

Careful using this word on this forum... you're open to getting Foxed

Soldato
Does anyone have any personal experience of what economy figures the B58 engine can achieve on a sensible motorway run?

Assuming M140i or 340i and auto mid 40s should be fairly easy if sitting at the speed limit. You can get 47-49 if you drive like a saint in eco pro mode.

If a 540i I could only manage low to mid 40s I think without using adaptive cruise I could get it to 45.

Soldato
Assuming M140i or 340i and auto mid 40s should be fairly easy if sitting at the speed limit. You can get 47-49 if you drive like a saint in eco pro mode.

If a 540i I could only manage low to mid 40s I think without using adaptive cruise I could get it to 45.

Yeah 45mpg in eco pro mode for me in a 440i at 75mph. I've had close to 50mpg at 65mph and once managed 56mpg following a lorry down the A69 at 55mph. :p

Soldato
Yeah 45mpg in eco pro mode for me in a 440i at 75mph. I've had close to 50mpg at 65mph and once managed 56mpg following a lorry down the A69 at 55mph. :p

Thanks! These engines are incredible. We get 47'ish MPG in a 190BHP Cooper S!

The M340i Touring has caught my attention and I was curious about the economy figures.

Soldato
So, my 07 318i I picked up at the weekend seems to be pretty sound (touch wood). The rears don't have too much life in them though.

What's the deal with runflats these days? Obviously the Bridgestone RE050s it has on are still hot garbage like they were when I had my z4 3.0i. I put Michelin PS2s on the Z4 which was a vast improvment.

As I don't want to spend much on this cheapo car, and I'm obviously not going to mix RFT and non-RFT....are there any better RFT I can put on the rear when these are shot? I've heard the Contintental SSR are a step up?

Soldato
Thanks! These engines are incredible. We get 47'ish MPG in a 190BHP Cooper S!

The M340i Touring has caught my attention and I was curious about the economy figures.

Yeah it's an amazing engine. I've got the M Performance Power and Sound Kit on it as well. Sounds tremendous and now has about 370bhp. I love my 440i but in hindsight I wish I'd bought the touring. There is still loads of space in mine (it's the Gran Coupe) as it's a hatchback but I like the look of the wagons and that extra bit of utility would have been nice. The new m340i looks absolutely mega.

Man of Honour
Does anyone have any personal experience of what economy figures the B58 engine can achieve on a sensible motorway run?
My M140i will do 44-47 mpg sat at 75 with CC on on and it being in comfort mode. That's with a few presses of throttle in sport mode here and then, when exiting roadworks or what not. Super unleaded seems to made up to 5 mpg difference on a run the highest I've seen I think is 47.9 from memory.

It does high 30's when not driving like a saint, as in cruising with the normal sort of speed you see on the motorway and playing with the throttle more often.

Soldato
It does high 30's when not driving like a saint, as in cruising with the normal sort of speed you see on the motorway and playing with the throttle more often.

Worst I've ever had was 19mpg. That was all of the B roads in the Northern Pennines. And I wasn't driving like a saint. :D

Back
Top Bottom