BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
I'd still contact BMW if it is the EGR valve they are replacing them under goodwill even if the car is outwith the dates of the recall.

So after two dealerships just didn't want to know, the lovely lady in my local garage phoned her contact at our local BMW Mini dealership (without me asking so big thumbs up to that) .. the parts manager looked at the details and said that actually it would be covered under a "service flag", and that they would 100% free of charge replace it.. So a good outcome, just got to keep on coolant levels between now and when it goes in on Tuesday.

Associate
So , 65 plate F10 with 44k on the clock..
Started up this morning and got a low coolant warning.. so had a check and yes sure enough I can't see any in the coolant chamber with the high/low markings..
I have noticed a funny smell when exiting the car , the last couple of nights when getting home so I wonder if that is related.

Anyway, I have no coolant in the house but there is a garage around the corner.. so I can get going again.

A quick google seems to suggest it might be an EGR issue so I'd better get it booked in with BMW to check.. anyone else suffered with similar on their F10 ?

Thanks
Yes, although I don't think it is anything to do with EGR ;) I topped it up as I had some spare from the time my 335i waterpump failed. Not had any warnings since and no obvious leaks under the bonnet/engine cover.

Associate
Is there anything to look out for, or any reason to avoid a 2007 LCI E87 130i?

I'm selling my modified R26 Megane in the next 2 weeks and I'm after something that's fairly sensible for doing the school runs, but that I will still enjoy driving when I get the chance to go out by myself.

Soldato
The engine makes the car really (and they're fairly reliable on that front).

Handle well, make a dramatic noise given the right intake/exhaust but ride poorly and are tiny inside. If you can make do with fiesta levels of space inside (so probably kids that are well out of rear facing seats and don't have anything other than a tiny buggy) it will be ok.

You can buy a chinese android/idrive replica upgrade for assuming nothing already in there should you particularly care about infotainment, albeit they are of questionable quality and not cheap to do.

I'd have one, but they're not going to be a classic

Associate
The engine makes the car really (and they're fairly reliable on that front).

Handle well, make a dramatic noise given the right intake/exhaust but ride poorly and are tiny inside. If you can make do with fiesta levels of space inside (so probably kids that are well out of rear facing seats and don't have anything other than a tiny buggy) it will be ok.

You can buy a chinese android/idrive replica upgrade for assuming nothing already in there should you particularly care about infotainment, albeit they are of questionable quality and not cheap to do.

I'd have one, but they're not going to be a classic

Thanks

Size doesn't concern me, it would be a 2nd car that would do 3-5k per year. My wife has a Octavia VRS estate for family dutys.

Was more looking for known issues with them.

Soldato
Engine wise only really water pump springs to mind, either check it's had one or get it replaced - my Dad has a n52 engined z4 that he has owned for 6/7 years and needed very little extra ordinary maintenance (albeit it doesn't go very far)

Back
Top Bottom