1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. geekman

Mobster

Here I'd say it's the opposite: those who clock their cars are usually people who have a lot to gain from it, i.e. they own a modern, relatively high value car which would have said value significantly reduced by high mileage, therefore they try to keep the car in as good condition as possible. The other tricky thing is that it's perfectly possible to turn a brand new car into a shed in under 30k miles: I've seen cars with 25k on them that are in worse condition than my car on 90k, therefore when you're buying it's very hard to tell anything about the car other than if it was owned by a careful owner or not, and plenty of careful owners clock their cars.

2. arfoll

Wise Guy

I hear this alot but I'm not sure how you make a new car into a shed so quickly. Driving a car hard does not make it into a shed. Reving when cold, ECU cuts this out in modern BMWs. Most cars with actual break ins kinda enforce it and there's still the hard break in afficionados. So what would I have to do?

Talking of which I should really check how many launches my car has done... Next owner might get some surprises if he looks!

3. geekman

Mobster

Drive at full speed into potholes / kerbs / speed bumps, let kids or pets damage / pull bits off the interior, leave the car in direct sunlight all day, not take any care when opening the doors near walls / fences, scrape the bumpers when parking and get a cheap, poor quality repair, not get it serviced on time, the list is endless.

Where I live, most cars with more than 50k miles on them that aren’t enthusiast owned are sheds, due to a combination of a lack of care and poor road conditions.

4. Jez

Caporegime

Exactly the same here, lease cars or cars which otherwise cannot show a high mileage when returned, therefore usually new. Completely disagree with mrk. My E-Class is another example at the other end where it is now heavily devalued due to mileage, it just runs up and down the the M40 with only me sat in it, i hardly touch the controls, never operate the windows, touch very few surfaces, etc, yet it has now nearly 150k on it due to just sitting on cruise control for 3-4 hours per day. I cant/wont do it due to the service history showing the miles covered (damn! :p) but if i altered it to around 60-70k miles, there is absolutely no way that anybody would know on inspection.

5. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Is so far removed from conditions in the UK as to be irrelevant.

6. geekman

Mobster

So you don’t think it’s possible to turn a UK car into a shed in 50k miles? I’d say it definitely is.

7. Dis86

Capodecina

I don't know, let's ask ACME? I'm sure he could manage it!

8. arfoll

Wise Guy

Well now you moved the goalposts from 30k to 50k ;-) I see your point, but apart from potholes where maybe you could damage hard to see parts, you're not really more likely to damage your car rather than someone who babies it.

But what do I know, I put my brand new bimmer through automatic car washes. Probably a shed now ;-)

9. Dangerous Dave

Mobster

It doesn't take much for a car to look abused I had a courtesy X3 with just over 1k on the clock that had key marks down both sides, a ding in the drivers door, a kerbed alloy and damaged trim in the boot. Most car owners don't notice or care about dings and minor marks.

10. geekman

Mobster

I’ll move the goalposts again actually - thinking about it I reckon a sufficiently poor driver (my grandfather springs to mind) could ruin a car in under 10k. Nothing wrong with automatic car washes - swirls or minor scratches wouldn’t put me off buying a car, but a careless owner definitely would.

11. #Chri5#

Soldato

12. Scania

Capodecina

I’ve seen trucks trashed within weeks of going on the road, burnt out clutches, bodywork damage on practically every panel, suspension damage etc the list is endless and a truck is built - to a degree - to withstand such abuse metered out by supposedly “professional” drivers and are certainly built to take far more punishment than any car.

That a non professional car driver can wreck it in a short space of time wouldn’t surprise me one bit!

13. lnoton

Mobster

pics this weekend.

car is great. getting android to work was a pain. not fully operational, but good enough.

had to enable 1.6 avrcp in dev tools on the phone for audio music to work.

problem initially was that I could start music via the phone and it would play through car. I could then stop music, and browse music. That is all. Play would not work, and if I selected a song via browse it may work 1 in 5 times.

Seems to all work now. Start car, select media, select 1+ and boom music starts playing.

No cover art. But I can live with that.

Appears there is no BMW Apps on this car with Android. I connect via the cable and am greeted to "install Connected Drive App" message via idrive. App is already installed. :-(

Still not too bothered about that.

14. arfoll

Wise Guy

You need to start the app and make sure the car is added correctly and 'paired' via the vin. It's not very reliable but does work.

15. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

There are no android apps of value that are compatible with BMW Apps Interface on the F10.

I had to get an iPhone to run in the centre console for that.

16. arfoll

Wise Guy

Ah thought it was a g30. I don't know much about sp13 systems and earlier.

17. Draeger

Capodecina

Folks, I'm completely out of touch with BMW spec and option packs. Can someone explain in layman's terms what the difference is between these below? Ta. :cool:

[​IMG]

18. lnoton

Mobster

Yeah. All done. I can flash lights, GPS locate, ventilate etc. But not get mileage etc. Says I need to use the connected apps.

It's that bit that doesn't work at all.

19. lnoton

Mobster

Ah OK. Ignore my last reply. Yeah f10.

20. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You have to use a cable connection to update mileage and range.

It's therefore useless. And even with a cable doesn't work most of the time.