BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Ha ha, just the kind of replies I was expecting...

Ask the leasing company if it comes with a paper bag for the driver to wear and a free trip to see a psychiatrist.

Hateful thing, which is the BMW version of the old Ford Fusion :p

Last edited:
Soldato

My advice is not to buy one for £11k-12k. You have to be a really really love E46 M3's to own one these days - they aren't a casual performance car and although they have good residuals, it's certainly not something I'd put £12k into!

If you're dead set on an E46 M3, I'd see if you could find a manual one for about £8-9k.

EDIT: Just checked prices - mental. Can't really see anything under £10k at all. I can honestly say, having owned one, at the prices they are these days - look elsewhere. I bought mine in about 2014 for £8.2k and it was a 3(?) ownered 2004 manual very well specced car with ~80,000 on the clock. You can't even get one on fire for that price these days.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But nobody is buying them. It seems like everyone selling one thinks they are worth a fortune. That second one above looks like a lovely example yet not a single viewing in half a year!!

Soldato
The second one is the what I have my eye on the most, however yes how do you not have a viewing it all that time? The problem is they are £8K plus no matter where you look but its hard to find out what they actually sell for :(

Ive always wanted one, decided im going to have one and if it bites me it bites me, I very much doubt ill see 4000 miles a year in it! I cant even think of anything I like in the price bracket

Soldato
But nobody is buying them. It seems like everyone selling one thinks they are worth a fortune. That second one above looks like a lovely example yet not a single viewing in half a year!!

I would have said the same if I had not just found out that a colleague of mine paid £12.5k for an E46 M3 convertible. It wasn't particularly low mileage, it hadn't been owned as enthusiastically as either in the M3cutters links and it hadn't had the vital E46 things done (RACP, rod bearings etc)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The “value” of these isn’t there at all, they are obviously just nostalgic purchases whereby the price is largely irrelevant to the buyer.

I quite like old computers for example...pretty sure that a 3mhz computer for several hundred £ wouldn’t seem worth it to some either when an i5 can be found in most corporate skips :p

Soldato
I had a late 135i. It was a good car but the chassis was seriously underwhelming. The car never felt stable, even on BMW performance suspension and replacing the run flats.

That said, I would have another one. It’s a quick straight line car.

Associate
Can anyone confirm if the following service info is correct?

My 2014 435i N55 is booked in for a service with the local dealer this week. The online BMW booking service suggests that spark plugs should be changed every 2nd oil service.

The last oil service was in Jan 2018 and included new plugs, so new plugs would not be required for this service but would be due for the following oil service (approx 2022)? It's done 11,000 miles since 2018 service for info.

This service will be oil and filters (also MOT).

Soldato

My 2014 435i N55 is booked in for a service with the local dealer this week. The online BMW booking service suggests that spark plugs should be changed every 2nd oil service.

The last oil service was in Jan 2018 and included new plugs, so new plugs would not be required for this service but would be due for the following oil service (approx 2022)? It's done 11,000 miles since 2018 service for info.

Sounds about right to me...2 years or condition based between services, and the work planned seems correct too.

Soldato

Yeh, you don't need spark plugs changed after 11k miles...

For the N55, BMW always used to recommend 60k mile spark plug changes, but if you don't make this mileage, once every 4-5 years is a sensible time to change them.

Associate
Thanks both, just wanted some confirmation so I'm prepared for dropping it off on Thursday. 11k did seem far too early but couldn't find anything definitive online, next oil service in approx. 2 years is far more reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom