BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
What is it like compared to VW DSG systems? The car I have one eye on is partially stripped out track car with SMG. But im torn between than and a bog standard Manual car.. as I will be using it on track some times

Incomparable to anything I've driven with a DCT/DSG box. I wouldn't even say it's comparable to the old ZF 6sp auto gearbox in ~2004-2010 era BMW's.

I'm sorry, I know everyone has their preferences, but SMG II is not good. It's not smooth, it's not clever and it's eye wateringly expensive when it goes wrong. It's clunky, lumpy and bumpy.

Also, if you're going to use it on track "sometimes" - isn't looking a stripped out track cars a bit much? Stripped out cars are unpleasant to drive day to day. These don't need a lot of work done to them to make them competent for a few track visits a year.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
To be fair £200pcm nothing down does seem quite cheap doesn’t it? I rarely look at leasing but doesn’t that usually get you a Citroen?

Soldato
To be fair £200pcm nothing down does seem quite cheap doesn’t it? I rarely look at leasing but doesn’t that usually get you a Citroen?

If you need an MPV, it's a bargain. Decently equipped M Sport model as well, looks a lot better than their stock photo.

Caporegime
Is it just for people who want the badge and not a zafira or a Picasso?
Having driven a 2 GT, Zafira and Picasso recently its the one I'd pick regardless of its badge or which wheels are driven (which is the BMW purist default)

Not my bag any of them tbh, but, if the need arose I'd happily have the BMW over the others.

Soldato
Having driven a 2 GT, Zafira and Picasso recently its the one I'd pick regardless of its badge or which wheels are driven (which is the BMW purist default)

Not my bag any of them tbh, but, if the need arose I'd happily have the BMW over the others.

Probably couldn't even get a new Zafira or Picasso that cheap.

Associate
wife has the 'active' tourer version of this. not quite as hunch backed and no 3rd row. tbh its a decent car and shes been really pleased with it. The visibliity is great especially the extra window to the side of the windscreen and the huge pan roof. Bit of a tardis inside especially with the rear bench being slideable. The m sport suspension is a little too crashy for what it is, but the engine and gearbox is great. its the 218d so 2.0 diesel and 8 speed auto slush box which is plenty fast enough. One weird thing i've noticed is how the stop start turns down the volume of the radio if its on loud. Not a lot to report, great runabout.

Soldato
My current Cupra ST 4Drive is £300 down and £300 a month, this one saves me £100 a month over the next 2years.

I appreciate that they're totally different cars, but I just need something reliable to ferry my son around to football every weekend, and this seems like a decent deal for a 30k car.

Soldato

The 2GT is front wheel drive isn't it.

Caporegime
The 2GT is front wheel drive isn't it.

Yes, it’s FWD along with the new 1 series, a taste of things to come maybe....

Must say, whilst it’s not for me I was impressed by it, and the lack of RWD makes a big difference to how spacious the interior felt compared to a RWD 2 Series, the styling is very van like though.

Last edited:
Soldato
My dad has the 225i x drive Active Tourer. It's a really nice car and perfect for his needs. There are some good practical features like the rear seats that slide forward and back. I'd recommend it for a family car.

Back
Top Bottom