BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Just had my idrive updated to the July 2020 build, this is the one that includes Android Auto. The good news is that unlike CarPlay, google maps turn instructions appear on both the dash and HUD. It is more basic than the BMW map in the HUD but useful nonetheless.

This is awesome news.

Man of Honour
The BMW was a dream of mine from a young age sitting in my dads 316i but times change and it won’t fit 6 of us! :( Or tow a town axle 6 berth caravan :)

It won't seat 6 but the towing thing sounds odd, surely a 5 series will tow as much as a Kodiak? Similar weight and more powerful?

Man of Honour
At the end of the PCP you have two options - walk away or pay the GFV. Paying the GFV can also be effected by trading the car in, any equity you have can go towards a new car, so in your case the Kodiak.

It's unlikely that walking away is the best option.

Soldato
Test drove the M340i saloon earlier (they didn't have a Touring available). Such a damn good car. The damping is really excellent, and you would never know that it was on runflats unless you looked. The steering was very nicely weighted in all of the modes, although the steering wheel is far too thick. Why do they do this?!

The performance is far more than anyone needs, and that B58 sounds so nice even with the OPF fitted. It's damn loud too through underpasses :eek: I had a look at a 330i Touring's boot and it's not bad, but the wheel arches do intrude a lot which makes fitting a buggy in a bit tricky.

I could type a lot more, but I went to Porsche as well to look at a Macan and just standing there on their forecourt made my skin feel alive. I don't know what it is that I like so much about the Porsche brand but I didn't come away from BMW with the same level of excitement as I did when I only had a look at a base model Macan (they're not offering test drives). I think the Macan is probably too much extra money for me since you need about £7000 more for a decently spec'd facelifted (late '18) 2.0T Macan compared to a well spec'd nearly new M340i Touring. The performance of the Macan is obviously not comparable to the M340i which could be annoying after a short while.

I really do like the M340i and it feels so well put together. I'm keeping it on the backburner for now until I can test drive a Macan.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Car has been parked outside my mates since March as I’ve been in russia for the last 6months with lockdown etc

Came back to it yesterday and someone in the last few days has driven into it, obviously no note. Now for a new bumper as it’s split too in the middle, I guess it’s only alpine white so should match ok

4QdDXaw.jpg

Associate
Possibly one for Fox or someone else clued up...

If I buy an approved used 5 series and take the 1 year approved warranty, do I get offered the insured warranty at a discounted rate when it expires? The one I'm potentially looking at is at 46k currently. I reckon I should be just under the magical 60k in a year's time. Thanks

Soldato
Test drove the M340i saloon earlier (they didn't have a Touring available). Such a damn good car. The damping is really excellent, and you would never know that it was on runflats unless you looked. The steering was very nicely weighted in all of the modes, although the steering wheel is far too thick. Why do they do this?!

The performance is far more than anyone needs, and that B58 sounds so nice even with the OPF fitted. It's damn loud too through underpasses :eek: I had a look at a 330i Touring's boot and it's not bad, but the wheel arches do intrude a lot which makes fitting a buggy in a bit tricky.

I could type a lot more, but I went to Porsche as well to look at a Macan and just standing there on their forecourt made my skin feel alive. I don't know what it is that I like so much about the Porsche brand but I didn't come away from BMW with the same level of excitement as I did when I only had a look at a base model Macan (they're not offering test drives). I think the Macan is probably too much extra money for me since you need about £7000 more for a decently spec'd facelifted (late '18) 2.0T Macan compared to a well spec'd nearly new M340i Touring. The performance of the Macan is obviously not comparable to the M340i which could be annoying after a short while.

I really do like the M340i and it feels so well put together. I'm keeping it on the backburner for now until I can test drive a Macan.
If you buy a porsches it has to be a proper porsche surely? I don't see the excitement of a macan.

Back
Top Bottom