BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
It isn't - its an all new car on a new platform.

Personally I found the G05 to be a car with significant wow factor on first impression - I really, really liked it for the first few days I had one but the longer I spent with it the less enthusiastic I became until the point at which I handed it back indifferent to whether I ever drove one again. Everything I loved about it - and there was lots - was also present on the 5 Series touring. But much of this is probably my own personal preference against the SUV as a vehicle type. There is no doubt that as far as SUV's go the G05 is excellent.

Thanks for the correction Mr Fountain of Knowledge :D

Yeah, you're a fan of the 5 Series Estate and they are excellent cars. Preferrable and a better idea for most people, although the SUV love is strong for many.

It's a must for us for transporting the dog (dogs) and we need the height to fit bikes inside using a front fork mount, so an estate just wouldn't work for us. Plus we enjoy the added height for driving up here and our trips around Scotland and down to lower Englandshire.

Saw plenty of newer Range Rovers today on our lunch drive out west and I really don't see what would compete with the X5 as we wouldn't touch those unreliable crappy tech buggy wagons with a barge pole.

The wifes X3 20d only just gets 38mpg. We really should have gone for the 30d. I'm surprised at that for the M50d

Rethinks X5 PHEV idea

It was weird for us to have a 2018 40d that only did 31MPG on a long motorway trip compared to the 38+ of the 2016 M50d. Quite annoying actually, as it's not within the realm of expected tolerances.

The newer G05 40d actually seems to have a mild hybrid 48V battery added from late 2020 onwards (11hp !!!!!!!!!!!!!) which helps with efficiency. Some reports from forums have it achiving 47MPG on longer journeys with the car 4 up with some dual carriageway and mixed A road driving, which is seriously impressive. Need to read up on the coast function and go back to my MPG techniques from driving my old little Honda Insight.

On that note, anyone want a lovely low mile Gen 1 Insight? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Pistonheads said:
New to forum but have been lurking for some time.

So I placed an order for a new M5 towards the end of May and was informed by the dealer a couple of weeks ago that the car would be in the country this week.

Had a call from the dealer earlier today stating that BMW has a "campaign hold" on a number of cars right now due to an issue with cameras and that "new vehicles must not be handed over to customers".

The dealer is now saying that the car cannot be handed over until August but will not commit to a date.

Is anyone else experiencing delivery delays or have any insight into this issue?

My dealer mentioned an update before delivery too.

Anyone (read @[TW]FOX) shed any light. My car is supposed to be ready within 2 weeks. Sales would likely wait until the last minute before coughing up any truths

Man of Honour
Just got the M performance Power and Sound Kit fitted to my 440i today.
£1584 with chrome tips (why chrome you ask, well it's £200 cheaper and I didn't like the carbon fibre look :p)

What you get:
322hp -> 360hp
450NM -> 500NM (sports auto - manual is 480NM)
Straight (resonator deleted) midpipe
M performance backbox
Fake cabin engine sound coded out

The difference between the MPE and the OG box is both exhausts have valves and in the valve open state...it's basically a straight pipe from the CAT in the MPE

Basically i was :D:D:D the whole journey back. Well worth it!

Soldato
Just got the M performance Power and Sound Kit fitted to my 440i today.
£1584 with chrome tips (why chrome you ask, well it's £200 cheaper and I didn't like the carbon fibre look :p)

What you get:
322hp -> 360hp
450NM -> 500NM (sports auto - manual is 480NM)
Straight (resonator deleted) midpipe
M performance backbox
Fake cabin engine sound coded out

The difference between the MPE and the OG box is both exhausts have valves and in the valve open state...it's basically a straight pipe from the CAT in the MPE

Basically i was :D:D:D the whole journey back. Well worth it!

From BMW or some where else? If some where else, does it invalidate your warranty?

Man of Honour
From BMW or some where else? If some where else, does it invalidate your warranty?
From BMW, so you get to keep full manufacturer warranty as it's original BMW M performance kit
If the car is out of warranty then it's 2 years. I got it out of AUC warranty as i suspect the 2 year warranty will cover the engine and drivetrain due to the ECU remap
(so basically free 2 year engine and drivetrain warranty)

Soldato
I'd be extremely surprised if the 2 year 'parts warranty' on a performance upgrade pack was extended to cover the things the part was attached to, if you look at it that way.

The same way you wouldn't expect the 2 year parts warranty on a water pump or something to cover the entire cooling system.

Man of Honour
There's a software upgrade to the engine performance...it's like asking OCUK to overclock your system and they screw it up and fry the CPU.
I'm sure they're liable to replace the CPU.

Soldato
I think that's an extremely optimistic outlook on how BMW will see that, I wouldn't rely on them replacing 4 or 5 year old engine parts if a turbo or something gives up the ghost just because they've installed MPPSK recently.

I suppose if you were going to run it without warranty anyway, it doesn't really make any difference, you might get lucky but I wouldn't rely on it as an actual alternative to warrantying the car.

The CPU comparison is the same anyway - if they fried it whilst actively applying the overclock, they'd be stuffed, the same as if BMW directly broke your engine applying the software.

I think OcUK would tell you to swivel if they overclocked your 3 year old CPU and it died a year later though.

Man of Honour
I think that's an extremely optimistic outlook on how BMW will see that, I wouldn't rely on them replacing 4 or 5 year old engine parts if a turbo or something gives up the ghost just because they've installed MPPSK recently.
I suspect it depends on how recent, recent means...if its like within a few weeks/few months then BMW would have a tough case to defend.
1 year 10 months and probably easier for them to say no f off.

If it was solely parts without the ECU tune then yes I agree engine/drivetrain rightly shouldn't be warrantied. But as there's a software update to directly alter the engine's performance then there's a lot to answer for if either throws up a fault.

Soldato
I think their view is more likely to be 'the engine is warrantied for 3 years (or more if you extend) and the MPPSK software won't invalidate that' but absolutely not 'the MPPSK software re-warranties the drivetrain for 2 years from point of purchase'. If you apply it to an unwarrantied engine, the engine remains unwarrantied.

Hopefully you won't have to find out either way but if you do, I think you might be in for disappointment :p

Man of Honour
odd. just checked my bmw warranty and apparently the car is warrantied.
i'll need to call and find out more. i definitely didnt pay for it :confused:

qsLUOqR .png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
When did you buy the car? Did you buy it privately or from a trader? An existing policy is voided if the car passes through the trade, but you can't get a quote online for a while after it expires as they may be able to offer you a reasonable deal so instead you have to call. Therefore you get that message.

Man of Honour
i bought it in january AUC but they gave me a "car care plan" warranty. unless they duplicated both the 3rd party warranty and BMW warranty :cry:

Soldato
Why on earth would an AUC car be sold with a 3rd party warranty, surely half the point (or even the entire point) of buying an AUC is that it's BMW warrantied? How bizarre

Back
Top Bottom