BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Have you ever had two adult passengers in your car? Can you feel the difference the weight makes long before you're driving like a maniac? QED.

Yes, but that weight isn't evenly distributed - a Cab with the roof down over the rear wheels is actually pretty good for grip, where as a passenger in the front seat isn't. I've driven both on track, and own the Cab. There's not much in it in real world driving on the road, there is obviously on track. Everyone will have their opinions, mine are based on owning both and having tracked both, others can base their opinions on whatever facts have informed them. Not disputing your thoughts on this one DRZ, but lets face it, on this forum everyone is quick to jump in on stuff because they read it once somewhere, so I'm just stating my thoughts and where my opinions are based.

To clarify, I also own and track a 911. It's better on track than the M4, and better on the road than the M4 - so it's not like I'm saying the M4 is the pinnacle of a track car, it isn't. But I do know a thing or two about handling and fast road use / track use.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Yes, but that weight isn't evenly distributed - a Cab with the roof down over the rear wheels is actually pretty good for grip, where as a passenger in the front seat isn't. I've driven both on track, and own the Cab. There's not much in it in real world driving on the road, there is obviously on track. Everyone will have their opinions, mine are based on owning both and having tracked both, others can base their opinions on whatever facts have informed them. Not disputing your thoughts on this one DRZ, but lets face it, on this forum everyone is quick to jump in on stuff because they read it once somewhere, so I'm just stating my thoughts and where my opinions are based.

To clarify, I also own and track a 911. It's better on track than the M4, and better on the road than the M4 - so it's not like I'm saying the M4 is the pinnacle of a track car, it isn't. But I do know a thing or two about handling and fast road use / track use.

Just in case I needed to state this, I've driven the F80, F82 and F83 both on track and on the road. I also owned an E92 M3, F87 M2 and currently drive an F10 M5. I've got enough data from direct experience to hold my opinions :)

Man of Honour
All I remember is that I drove an M4 cab a few years ago and wasn't that impressed (beyond the straight line speed). The M3 comp I drove felt like a completely different animal.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Aren’t early M3’s not that well regarded? Very twitchy and handle badly?

This is an E93, which isn't as good as the E90/E92 for the same reasons as above but is a totally different car to the F8x which followed. The early F8x cars were known for being a bit spikey, I personally didn't enjoy pressing on (on track) in a 2014 non-comp car as much as I did in my E92 Comp. It felt almost "heavy" in comparison. No doubt it moved the game on in terms of outright performance though, the turbo torque is insane compared to the V8 in the E9x cars.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
£19k for a decade old E93 though... and yeah yeah I know it's got a V8, but surely that's just silly money, no?

Values for everything have gone bonkers. I'd not have an E93 if you gave it to me (I'd sell it and buy another E92) but they are definitely up with the rest of the market bubble.

Caporegime
This is an E93, which isn't as good as the E90/E92 for the same reasons as above but is a totally different car to the F8x which followed. The early F8x cars were known for being a bit spikey, I personally didn't enjoy pressing on (on track) in a 2014 non-comp car as much as I did in my E92 Comp. It felt almost "heavy" in comparison. No doubt it moved the game on in terms of outright performance though, the turbo torque is insane compared to the V8 in the E9x cars.
That’s the ones I was thinking of, the early F series M3’s.

Soldato
Just in case I needed to state this, I've driven the F80, F82 and F83 both on track and on the road. I also owned an E92 M3, F87 M2 and currently drive an F10 M5. I've got enough data from direct experience to hold my opinions :)

As I said, I know you know your M's - I'm saying there's a lot of people that have posted that haven't driven one let alone owned or tracked them. And the guy wanting to buy one isn't interested in track days anyway :D

Soldato
Since everyone hates it :D I love it, 4.5 years of ownership, 12 track days, 6 Euro road trips and plenty of roof down enjoyment.

IMG-20210425-145922-315.jpg

Man of Honour
All four seater convertibles look... awkward to me. Just something odd/silly looking about the rear headrests and things to me.
The skinny rear headrests take away any meatiness from the look really on modern 4 seat verts but the E46 did it right because the explosive anti roll bars were integrated into the headrests making them thicker than the front headrests:

7xdf91F.jpg

D2zmV3m.jpg

I have to say though, having 4 usable seats for adults and a big boot roof up or down has been hugely helpful over the years for weekends away visiting family all over the country.

Soldato
The skinny rear headrests take away any meatiness from the look really on modern 4 seat verts but the E46 did it right because the explosive anti roll bars were integrated into the headrests making them thicker than the front headrests:

7xdf91F.jpg

D2zmV3m.jpg

I have to say though, having 4 usable seats for adults and a big boot roof up or down has been hugely helpful over the years for weekends away visiting family all over the country.
I sometimes regret not getting an e93 over the e92 M3, but imo it's ready a bit underpowered, and the extra weight wouldn't have helped. In something turbocharged with a bit more grunt I can see it making sense. What I don't get is convertible diesiels, do people like listening to tractors?

Soldato
Servicing updates on the idrive

my g31 is going to be looked after by my long serving Indy but how would you update the service history on the idrive for the condition based servicing ?

Any software out there to let you do it as a individual/Indy

Back
Top Bottom