BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Don't see the problem tbh, assuming it's DPF works - which it should - your not getting soot in your hair, plenty of torques and better MPG than the petrol.

Yes, you tend to get slimey fuel nozzles when filling up, they do provide free gloves mind.....

I have this engine in my car.

It is smooth, quiet and refined, efficient yet powerful and even sounds good under load. It's so good I'd go far as to question why you'd pick a 5 series with any other engine.

Then you open the window and remember it's still a diesel, it still sounds like one from outside and it's still not a noise you'd want anywhere near a convertible.

Caporegime
I think ultimately you guys are missing the point.

We’re rapidly - like it or not - heading to an era where engine noise will be artificial be it sourced from a diesel or petrol will be irrelevant, EV’s are the future.

Yes, it’s got the dag dag of a diesel, who ultimately cares? It’ll be a museum piece soon enough, enjoy it whilst we can, very soon , the petrol vs diesel argument will alas be a thing of the past.

Just a shame it’s not a 16ltr Scania V8, one of the best sounding engines full stop, never mind petrol or diesel…

Diesel engines vehicles will be around far longer than petrols, in commercials for sure. Mark my words and embrace it! :p :D

Regardless, I’d still take a 640d over its petrol equivalent for real world use (whilst we still can)

I say this from the perspective of someone who had a lovely V8 petrol prior to my subsequent diesels, do I miss its sound? A bit, yes, do I miss its Oliver Reed thirst? No.

What I will miss is the excitement of a controlled explosion under the bonnet, from whichever fuel source, who’s days, sadly, are truly numbered albeit not in trucks for a good while yet (due to range)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes, it’s got the dag dag of a diesel, who ultimately cares?

It's an unpleasant noise which detracts from the experience of driving a convertible.

It's a wonderful engine in a saloon or coupe, but not in a type of car where the outside is so much of the experience.

Caporegime
It's an unpleasant noise which detracts from the experience of driving a convertible.

It's a wonderful engine in a saloon or coupe, but not in a type of car where the outside is so much of the experience.
Having driven a 330d drop top, I have to disagree, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience,to me at least, the wind in the hair experience (assuming you still have any) isn’t detracted by the power source, at least not to me.

Still prefer the saloon over the ‘vert. but not down to the fuel.

Caporegime
Having driven a 330d drop top, I have to disagree, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience,to me at least, the wind in the hair experience (assuming you still have any) isn’t detracted by the power source, at least not to me.

Still prefer the saloon over the ‘vert. but not down to the fuel.

You may disagree, but you're clearly outnumbered in that opinion and there's a reason that you will find most drop-tops possess a petrol engine. Diesel sounds like crap.

Soldato
the i6's fun is when it's pushing 5k+ revs on a windy climbing road and the vanos kicks in ... meanwhile the diesel has dropped off a cliff.

It's a 3 series. I've cocked up a bit then. I knew about the suspension but at the time I forgot :/
No I think it's a good choice , unless its got adaptive suspension I wouldn't want the harder/lowered suspension of an Msport F30 on my local roads and speed bumps;
on the other hand from what I've read the g20 standard suspension is an even better handling option.

Soldato
That's because you generally hear the problem.
As I already posted - petrol would have been the clear choice had there been more than 1 available in the whole of the country at the time, which wasn’t an SE and double his budget. Thanks for the ‘you should have done’ advice though !!

Everyone knows how hard it is finding a bigger engined petrol BMW, Fox has been searching for 20 years :p

Caporegime
As I already posted - petrol would have been the clear choice had there been more than 1 available in the whole of the country at the time, which wasn’t an SE and double his budget. Thanks for the ‘you should have done’ advice though !!

Everyone knows how hard it is finding a bigger engined petrol BMW, Fox has been searching for 20 years :p

You're not the one defending it. Scania is. You can clearly accept they're just...bleurgh.

Caporegime
I nearly posted to comment in before truck was mentioned. Was too late :D

Petrol is where a convertible will excel. Forget EV. Will be nice, just not special.

Missing the point? :cry::cry:

I can't wait for "normal" (i.e. 4-series equivalent) EV convertibles to arrive. Sure I like hearing the engine in my convertibles, but the "special" feeling comes from the roof not being there, the sound is just a bonus, when it's not a diesel.

Caporegime
I nearly posted to comment in before truck was mentioned. Was too late :D
:D
You're not the one defending it. Scania is. You can clearly accept they're just...bleurgh.

Certainly not defending all diesels by any means but some do sound very good.

We’ll miss the noises once everything is synthetic to accompany the electric motor hum. :/

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I'll be the only one to defend poor Scania, having covered some 100k miles in an E350d Convertible in the past.

Lovely car overall, IMO, economical, powerful, smooth with the roof up for daily usage, with the bonus of getting the roof down occasionally when the mood takes. Above about 20mph the wind noise with the roof down is much louder than the engine, which is extremely well insulated. At speed if you did kick it down the V6 diesel sounds alright too. The only time the noise is noticeable on these (at least to me) is when you sit there idling - yes at that point diesel is crap. Oh yes and when cold it is super crap, quite gruff, you dont get that on a petrol. The benefits far outweigh this, for me anyway. I'd have a 640d Convertible in a shot, definitely over a 640i, 99% of the time the car is a motorway coupe anyway.

All of this is moot with EVs coming along anyway now. As soon as these are more mainstream all ICEs are pretty much as crap as each-other and this conversation will be like someone arguing about whether a mule or a horse is better.

Soldato
I don't mean this when I say it - but a 640d is almost the perfect "poor mans GT car". You could see yourself chomping up mega mileage without breaking the bank on the initial car purchase nor the fuel. They were never really positioned as uber track day cars anyway, and unless it sounds properly savage (a la M6) you are still doing it wrong with the 640i...

Caporegime
I don't mean this when I say it - but a 640d is almost the perfect "poor mans GT car". You could see yourself chomping up mega mileage without breaking the bank on the initial car purchase nor the fuel. They were never really positioned as uber track day cars anyway, and unless it sounds properly savage (a la M6) you are still doing it wrong with the 640i...

The 640i sounds OK. The 650i better still but for some reason unless you go for an m car I find bmw exhausts to be muted.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
..and is also near unusably fragile and uneconomical, pointless for most people doing any kind of daily mileage and wanting utility from the car :p

Soldato
The 640i sounds OK. The 650i better still but for some reason unless you go for an m car I find bmw exhausts to be muted.
Yeah that's why I liked my Merc. It sounds awesome on full chat despite being a tiny 3.0 v6. I haven't found a BMW other than a proper M car that bridges the 'inbetween' gap so well.

Soldato
Yeah that's why I liked my Merc. It sounds awesome on full chat despite being a tiny 3.0 v6. I haven't found a BMW other than a proper M car that bridges the 'inbetween' gap so well.
You can get M performance exhausts but the stock ones are tuned for normal driving

Back
Top Bottom