BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Hi all, after a bit of advice. Is this overpriced?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202202072260509

It's a strong spec car but part of me thinks that's strong money for a 7/8 year old car, then looking around at alternatives for similar money and realising there aren't many.

Looking at similar 235i's I wouldn't say so, if that's the car you really want. I'd be tempted to up the price slightly and try and get a 240 though (will be newer too, as a bonus).

Soldato
Looking at similar 235i's I wouldn't say so, if that's the car you really want. I'd be tempted to up the price slightly and try and get a 240 though (will be newer too, as a bonus).

Cheers Robbo. Yeah a 40i would be largely my preference and I don't mind paying more for it, but finding this spec seems impossible right now.

Must haves are auto, Pro Nav, HK, and adaptive suspension, and 40i's are getting into the realms of £30k (which seems bonkers to me, albeit I know things are bonkers right now).

Man of Honour
Why is Adaptive Suspension a must have? The conventional suspension is really very good and if you're buying into an older car much less of an expense and nuisance when it inevitably needs a refresh.

I don't really understand why people want it so much. Personally I'd actively avoid a used car with it fitted. The only BMWs I've driven with Adaptive Suspension I thought was worth it were those fitted with the full Adaptive Drive system with the electronic anti roll bars etc, just the dampers on their own have never been that impressive.

I think people go into it thinking that Adaptive offers them a lovely smooth and comfortable ride but amazing handling at the push of a button. I don't agree that it does.

Soldato
Why is Adaptive Suspension a must have? The conventional suspension is really very good and if you're buying into an older car much less of an expense and nuisance when it inevitably needs a refresh.

I don't really understand why people want it so much. Personally I'd actively avoid a used car with it fitted. The only BMWs I've driven with Adaptive Suspension I thought was worth it were those fitted with the full Adaptive Drive system with the electronic anti roll bars etc, just the dampers on their own have never been that impressive.

I think people go into it thinking that Adaptive offers them a lovely smooth and comfortable ride but amazing handling at the push of a button. I don't agree that it does.

Fair comment. My plan would be to never own the car out of warranty, if the "adaptive" element of the adaptive suspension were to fail, would that come under BMW's warranty or would it be classed as a wearable item?

Man of Honour
For £30k you want an M2 (if you can find one for that).

I agree with Fox re: adaptive. It dials out a little bit of firmness but it's minimal really. If you are buying a fast 2 Series I doubt refinement is really that high on the list of priorities.

The difference between Comfort+ and Sport on my 7 Series is quite significant (Air/Adaptive suspension and Dynamic Drive), I've never found that with the normal adaptive suspension.

Soldato
Heh, it's been sold. Missed it by a couple of hours it seems.

For £30k you want an M2 (if you can find one for that).

I agree with Fox re: adaptive. It dials out a little bit of firmness but it's minimal really. If you are buying a fast 2 Series I doubt refinement is really that high on the list of priorities.

The difference between Comfort+ and Sport on my 7 Series is quite significant (Air/Adaptive suspension and Dynamic Drive), I've never found that with the normal adaptive suspension.

Good shout, and yeah I hadn't looked at the M2's - I've not looked at their prices as of late.

Soldato
Woohoo, 630d should be here with me tomorrow I hope.

As to the above, I have a F31 335i with adaptive suspension fitted. TBH I can't really tell the difference between comfort and sport but I'm also running RFTs which probably ruin the ride in all modes.

Man of Honour
Any E46 owners in here that have replaced head unit with an Android one? I've just had a bad case of nostalga and bought a 2004 330ci....... its a nice spec in great condition few little issues to sort but nothing major, like many the factory sat nav has damaged pixels on the screen, its also got bluetooth which seems faulty so i'm toying with the idea of putting in an xtrons headunit which looks oem'ish but will give me much more features than the original (I will of course keep that should I ever sell it in the future)

@mrk did I believe

Me indeed. My unit is a 2016 model Erisin quad core but I am looking at upgrading it to the latest octa-core Avin AVANT 4 with various options selected in the high end Amp/DAC: https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-3-series-e46-m3.html

erisin_gogle-nav.jpg

tuff-stuff_1.jpg

If you don't get a modern unit with at least 2-4GB of RAM and a few GB of internal storage then the older specced units (not sure on what Xtrons have currently but only the Avin Avant 4 has the higher end options) will end up limiting you to how many apps you can have running in the BG etc. I have had to install Apps2SD so app data can store effectively without eating into the 1GB of internal storage this unit came with back in 2016.

For my uses it ran Spotify and Waze which is all I needed back then but nowadays with Netflix, Prime, streaming and games console playing via a bluetooth gamepad etc means a higher specced unit is more compelling and you get a higher resolution screen to boot. The other benefit of the higher end amp built in is currently my unit uses the Viper4AndroidFX audio engine via the Viper app. This EQs the output to the point it's night and day even on the stock speakers and sounds considerably better than the Harmon Kardon setup in the E46 which just goes to show the stock speakers are actually really really good. \the Avant 4 with the high end amp upgrade will no longer need the Viper app as it can cover that area in hardware alone. The later versions of Viper don't work with this old unit either so I've been using the 2016 version ever since.

The install of these units is super easy really, but as yours has nav already you will need the extension cable to run to the boot as that is where your stock amp is. It's the fakra cable iirc and is one of the options on the Avin site should you need it but can be bought on ebay etc too.

Soldato
Me indeed. My unit is a 2016 model Erisin quad core but I am looking at upgrading it to the latest octa-core Avin AVANT 4 with various options selected in the high end Amp/DAC
nice to see the dsp eq is an option in this new version, does the octa have more power for individual threads, I though the px6 was a big/little (assymmetric arm) option,
and the bigs, had higher performance - maybe that's a different architecture though
where would you buy from - trying to get a competitive price and warranty ?

Man of Honour
I'd buy direct from Avin, linked above seems that's the only way to get one if you are picking options.

The Qualcomm 665 is big/little if I recall, it's the mid-range SoC based off 2018/2019 smartphones but is suited to this sort of use. Uses 4x Cortex A53 and 4x A73 cores.

With the otpions I want the total price comes to £505, UK customs may charge me import duty though so I have to account an extra £50 for that I guess!

I think I will place the order in the spring/summer as no major rush now as don't have any holidays involving lots of driving until August.

Edit* I think I will add the iBus adapter too as the featureset looks useful:

Man of Honour
I've seen them plenty. It can look alright on the right paint colour but in most colours it looks absolutely rank. This is my opinion though and will never ever change. If I ever bought one then I'd be straight to that German tuner for a front bumper swap to get the proper M front end back.

Soldato
I'd buy direct from Avin .....
I watched a unit review too - if you have pure android on a fast processor the need for (wireless) car play is diminished, apart from phone calls, as you can install apps locally, on unit, and get better quality audio, he discusses bluetooth audio as though it is gods gift(!?) - interface even with p6 he tests seems fast.
AVIN Avant 4 Review - E46 M3
why do avin not go for a pure touch screen , no physical buttons option - would it really look out of place ? and unit can work on other cars, I suppose its a legacy chassis though where they already have production line tooled up/amortized.

Man of Honour
It would look out of place. the idea of this design is that it 1:1 replicates the look of the OEM front design so it looks factory finish. That's why I chose the Erisin one because the button design is the same shape and style of the other console buttons and back in 2016 they didn't have the Avant 4 that was mechless like they are now so no disc slot.

Android Auto wirelessly is what I want because of convenience. No need to update apps on another device then, just everything from phone working seamlessly with the option to also load apps up directly on the unit (currently what I do anyway) where needed like with Netflix, console emulators etc.

My first Android unit was a Parrot one with no side buttons and it didn't look right. You can also get full all screen models etc but they all look out of place. Has to be the amber lit buttons with buttons in the OEM shape and style.
The physical buttons can also be remapped so your homescreen can be completely clean like what I have now or display a "dashboard"

eUQKud4.jpg

Soldato
t would look out of place. the idea of this design is that it 1:1 replicates the look of the OEM front design so it looks factory finish. That's why I chose the Erisin one because the button design is the same shape and style of the other console buttons and back in 2016 they didn't have the Avant 4 that was mechless like they are now so no disc slot.

looks as though many have octos now you have a lot more of touch/screen real estate, and save some money .. and obdii too
more tablet like aspect ratio versus newer model dash tops,
need to see sme tear downs as an indication of audio circuitry quality, though - thats a gambling aspect of purchase.
E46 Mods. Eonon head unit install IN 2021

Man of Honour
Yes I've seen those loads of times, the audio hardware is not on par with the optional upgrade to the dsp on the Avin 4 which is on par with on par with DynAvin's E46 units from a few years ago that were high end but designed for people with iPhones mostly.

Those units are cheaper but also much uglier and ruins the aesthetic of the E46 centre console. Not something I'd ever change to.

Soldato
Yes I've seen those loads of times, the audio hardware is not on par with the optional upgrade to the dsp on the Avin 4 which is on par with on par with DynAvin's E46 units from a few years ago that were high end but designed for people with iPhones mostly.

Those units are cheaper but also much uglier and ruins the aesthetic of the E46 centre console. Not something I'd ever change to.

ruins the aesthetic a bit like that gearstick does

Man of Honour
Well I'm in the unique position to have owned the OEM options brand new and the Motorwerks one is better for form and function and will never wear out like all leather knobs do fairly quickly and look horrid. Heavier than any BMW knob, styled like the E30 M3 knob and the Titanium finish matches the interior trim panels. But you seem to be the only one that keeps talking about my knob so maybe you're just being a bit closet for some reason rG???

knobs_comparison.jpg

Back
Top Bottom