BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Thank you. Another BMWism I wasn't aware of!
Almost as useful as the "thou shalt not have an easy way to control your cabin temperature with one knob".

I've never driven a car with more easy cabin temperature control than a BMW..

The wheel to override the main temperature is particularly useful.

Man of Honour
Off to Southport on Wednesday so the dealer can reset my geo and sort out my slightly off centre steering wheel. It will be interesting to see how far out the steering is and if it's anything like any other car I've had done over the years it will be out by a fair bit. Our modern road conditions added to winter pot holes really mess around with alignment.

Associate
insurance renewal time, seems the 640d isn't a car that they like, not ridiculous but seems to be out of step with other stuff I have had

Out of interest and if you don't mind saying, what sort of quotes are you getting? My renewal is due next month and I think I should be paying less! I think some of it may be due to the car being on PCP so with me saying I am not the owner may have a reasonable impact.

Soldato
Off to Southport on Wednesday so the dealer can reset my geo and sort out my slightly off centre steering wheel. It will be interesting to see how far out the steering is and if it's anything like any other car I've had done over the years it will be out by a fair bit. Our modern road conditions added to winter pot holes really mess around with alignment.
If your popping into town whilst your waiting, Head over to The Pavilion for a decent all day Breakfast
https://www.thepavilionsouthport.co.uk

Soldato
I think some of it may be due to the car being on PCP so with me saying I am not the owner may have a reasonable impact.
interesting hypothesis - hadn't really registered if quotes distinguish you, as keeper or owner (does a mortgage mean you don't own a house though)

Caporegime
I thought you are still classed as the owner on a PCP

Nope

If you take out a Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) agreement, the lending company (usually the car manufacturer), remains the owner of the car until the balance is paid in full. Decide to make the optional final payment when the contract ends and the car is yours, as you've effectively paid off the entire loan.

One of the most common questions asked when looking at insurance is who the legal owner of the car is when you take out a PCP deal. The answer is almost always the finance company, not you. You are the registered keeper of the car but not the legal owner.

In the UK there are separate concepts of ‘owner’ and ‘keeper’, and some insurance companies will not insure a car that is paid for through PCP, while others may put the premium up as a result.

Don
Out of interest and if you don't mind saying, what sort of quotes are you getting? My renewal is due next month and I think I should be paying less! I think some of it may be due to the car being on PCP so with me saying I am not the owner may have a reasonable impact.
mid 400s , 55 years old full NCB 15k miles business use

Associate
mid 400s , 55 years old full NCB 15k miles business use

Similar to mine, best price I can get is £447 Full NCB, 10k miles Social Only (I work from home and never go to a single place of business), without adding my wife it was £540, previously having her as a named driver put it up (most likely due to a claim which has now cleared).

I tested changing the owner but it made little to no difference at all (few £ on some, nothing on others).

Caporegime
Had PCP/HP for a few years and I've always put my name down as the owner :/

bad, bad man. Insurance fraud!!!!!!! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

But on a serious note i wonder if an insurance company has ever refused to pay out on a car because the person mistakenly put themselves down as the owner when it was really the PCP company?

Soldato
I’ve never put anything but owner down.

I don’t recall seeing any kind of specific option to say some finance/lending company owns it, but you are registered keeper.

I’ve only ever seen a option to select if it was a lease car, provided by a lease company like LEX auto lease or something.

maybe it varies between insurers as to what level of detail they ask.

Caporegime
I’ve never put anything but owner down.

I don’t recall seeing any kind of specific option to say some finance/lending company owns it, but you are registered keeper.

I’ve only ever seen a option to select if it was a lease car, provided by a lease company like LEX auto lease or something.

maybe it varies between insurers as to what level of detail they ask.

The question is always whether you are the owner. Its a simple yes or no. If the car is leased/HP/PCP then legally you aren't the owner and you should say no on that question.

Lease cars are treated worse and normally the lease company keep the V5 and have it in their name as being the keeper. Never made sense that to me as clearly they arent the keeper of the vehicle but thats how it works. I suppose they couldnt tax the vehicle otherwise?

Back
Top Bottom