BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Honestly if you've got such a small commute just get the 330e.

As for xDrive, it's useful in snow and slippery conditions, but otherwise you're just lugging around some more weight. However, the batteries weigh as much as a small planet so you won't notice the extra 2wd weight ;)
The power figures of the 330e seem quite impressive too, was it 280'ish combined.

During my test drive I managed to regen 2 miles, so thats a thing too for when I bimble around.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The power figures of the 330e seem quite impressive too, was it 280'ish combined.

During my test drive I managed to regen 2 miles, so thats a thing too for when I bimble around.
I've never driven one, but it'll be quick. The 330i is more than fast enough, so even with the extra weight, I can imagine the battery will provide quite a bit of extra oomph. Granny charge it and you'll be set. Pootling town in electric is great as well :)

Man of Honour
Whatever you save on fuel for that journey is going to be insignificant to the cost of depreciation surely? Can you not wait a few more years, I know the M140i is dated inside compared to the G** for that small a commute does it really matter? It’s not exactly going to be falling apart and you’re not doing trips to the south of France every couple of months.

Soldato
yes neighbour has a 330e for the bik payments; as a private purchaser though with depreciation&maintenance and impact of weight/300kg? on handling I don't see the interest,
but am not driving in daily stop-star commuting crawl atm;
I already drive economically / not on the brakes, so sceptical about regen,
so I'd have a 320i with same ICE motor over a 330e.

Soldato
I was looking at the G20 330e.

I really liked it to drive. Loved actually.

However, after checking out a few around 40-50k miles, their better range was only 12-20 miles on a full charge (indicated). I was expecting a little more.

Seems to me that the batteries don’t last very long, and it’s at least 4k to have it replaced.

Associate
Hey all!

I was pretty much set on a M340i next year, but I just cant make it a viable purchase... even more so with the packs I want included. I think I need to drop that dream for a few years at least.

Besides, do I really need 374bhp for my 5 mile trip into work three times a week and other pottering about, lucky I do 4k miles! I think I'm more interested in the cabin and ride and infotainment, hence I've decided to expedite the purchase of a replacement of the M140i to now... or asap.

I'm sold on the G20, minimum is Technology and Comfort pack. Ideally visibility too, if possible (thanks Fox for planting that seed).

I've driven a 330e and a 320i and liked them both. 330i, I'm seeing less of near me. The 330e was xDrive too, which I thought might be nice in the poor weather.

Finally, input needed! Is xDrive a deal breaker, is it worth having or should I prioritise it? 330i's dont seem to have it, but some 320i's do.

Also, insane to go from 335bhp to 181bhp, it seems nippy enough, but I wonder if I would miss quite the drop. Actually, I still enjoy a wee trip in my wifes 1.2 Mk 7 fiesta... so might not miss 335 too much.

Argh! Any insight would be lovely!

I also have a short commute and barely do any miles. So I bought a 2018 M2.

No regrets. Tech is old, it's noisy, uncomfortable and expensive. But I love it

In an ideal world I'd have an m340i as a daily alongside an M2 or maybe F80 M3, but I don't do enough miles to warrant two cars and that's an expensive driveway

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I also have a short commute and barely do any miles. So I bought a 2018 M2.

No regrets. Tech is old, it's noisy, uncomfortable and expensive. But I love it

In an ideal world I'd have an m340i as a daily alongside an M2 or maybe F80 M3, but I don't do enough miles to warrant two cars and that's an expensive driveway
Does the engine warm up properly on your commute?

Associate
Does the engine warm up properly on your commute?
No, but I go a slightly longer route occasionally. It's approx 10mins if I go the main way or 20ish if I go the longer route. Luckily I work from home 3 days a week.

Whilst it's a performance car, it is still just a car! If I need to pop out occasionally I wouldn't go out of my way just to get the engine to operating temperature.

Reactions: mjt
Soldato
In that respect I don't understand if a 330e is the worst of all worlds - on even the shortest journey if you are joining a faster road can you avoid soliciting the ICE for some oomph ?
requiring it instantaneously to start/cold under load ... so it's wear could be large.
( I have a 2 mile NSL section of road and some A10, with roundabouts before I get to town. )
e: yes I never warm an ICE up before pulling away in the morning, which isn't good either, but I don't ask it to give significant power in first minutes.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Oil temperature is more important though, and takes longer.
Yeah, this is what I was getting at. As amazing as an M2 is (picking mine up next week :D), I honestly think a PHEV would be the best solution for OP.
I might end up using the M2 to commute if I can't justify keeping the i3S at the same time, and in experience a 2.0 barely warms up in the mornings on this commute, so there's no chance an M2 would..

In that respect I don't understand if a 330e is the worst of all worlds - on even the shortest journey if you are joining a faster road can you avoid soliciting the ICE for some oomph ?
requiring it instantaneously to start/cold under load ... so it's wear could be large.
( I have a 2 mile NSL section of road and some A10, with roundabouts before I get to town. )
Just keep it in EV mode. That's what I do with the Q7; I rarely use the auto hybrid mode. - it's either EV or sports mode to keep the engine running properly. Apparently that's not how you're supposed to use PHEVs but I guess I'm stupid :p

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH when PHEVS kick in at speed its a lot lighter load than a typical cold start, low rpm of a commute. I have similar reservation if you look at something like a Range Rover Sport with a 3L straight 6 ready to fire up to close to full throttle from EV only mode. Generally a lot of cars will ensure the egine stays on for some time after to avoid oil dilution from the fuel and get the oil temp up to evaporate lighter hydrocarbons and water.

Man of Honour
The 330i is more than fast enough, so even with the extra weight, I can imagine the battery will provide quite a bit of extra oomph

It's not a 330i with a battery though - it's effectively 320i in terms of the engine. It has the lower power version of the petrol engine. It is quite quick with the battery charged in some situations, though.

Last edited:
Soldato
so 330e has 111bhp electric vs q7@174 ... I'm not sure how safe the former would feel, alone, crossing my A10 roundabout.
The petrol engine provides 181bhp and 221lb ft, while the electric motor gives up to 111bhp and an instant 195lb ft – although as is usually the case with hybrid systems, you can’t just add those two figures together to get the car’s total power output.
Powering the Q7 55 TFSI e is a 3.0-litre six-cylinder petrol engine with 334bhp - the same as you’d find in the mild-hybrid V6 petrol Q7. In the PHEV, this is mated to an electric motor with 174bhp and 460Nm

Man of Honour
Hey all!

I was pretty much set on a M340i next year, but I just cant make it a viable purchase... even more so with the packs I want included. I think I need to drop that dream for a few years at least.

Besides, do I really need 374bhp for my 5 mile trip into work three times a week and other pottering about, lucky I do 4k miles! I think I'm more interested in the cabin and ride and infotainment, hence I've decided to expedite the purchase of a replacement of the M140i to now... or asap.

I'm sold on the G20, minimum is Technology and Comfort pack. Ideally visibility too, if possible (thanks Fox for planting that seed).

I've driven a 330e and a 320i and liked them both. 330i, I'm seeing less of near me. The 330e was xDrive too, which I thought might be nice in the poor weather.

Finally, input needed! Is xDrive a deal breaker, is it worth having or should I prioritise it? 330i's dont seem to have it, but some 320i's do.

Also, insane to go from 335bhp to 181bhp, it seems nippy enough, but I wonder if I would miss quite the drop. Actually, I still enjoy a wee trip in my wifes 1.2 Mk 7 fiesta... so might not miss 335 too much.

Argh! Any insight would be lovely!

The only real downside of the M340i against the rest of the range is the purchase price. They are considerably more expensive, especially if you want a reasonably high specification example.

But once you've got past that, the rest of the car is largely the same to run as the rest of the range. They are fuel efficient, the tyres cost the same as they do on the rest of the range, the servicing isn't much difference, etc.

I have xDrive and to be honest, I've been surprised - I didn't want it, I've never been a fan of it but with the M340i there was no choice but now I have it I never really notice its there. I am not sure I would go out of my way to get it in a car that was available as a rear wheel drive, though.

xDrive is not available on the 330i for some reason.

The thing to be aware of when buying a normal version of the 3 Series is that during the production issues between 2021 and 2022 a lot of the equipment was not available - for example, the head up display and the upgraded stereo was only available on the M340i - so if you find a late 2021 car with a technology pack you'll probably find it contains less than you'd hope.

If you are looking at 2019/2020 cars this won't be a problem but newer than that and this will become an issue for you.

I can never decide what I think about the plug in hybrid. I like the idea, but in practice I am not sure if I'd want to buy a used one. They existed for the company car market - which moved almost entirely to them from diesel in the 3 Series because of the way the tax worked on plug in hybrid cars. So, most will be former fleet cars and it may be difficult to find one in the specification you want. They are also more complex than the rest of the cars in the range so as time goes on I'd be increasingly more concerned about how reliable the hybrid system would end up being. The battery, for example, is not covered by the extended warranty.

I am not the only person who thinks this, so consequently the effect on the residual values has been quite noticeable. As a result, they are really quite cheap - perhaps cheap enough to be worth it. I don't know. I have a different opinion on these each time I think about them.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It's not a 330i with a battery though - it's effectively 320i in terms of the engine. It has the lower power version of the petrol engine. It is quite quick with the battery charged in some situations, though.
Yes but total power output is more than the 330i.

so 330e has 111bhp electric vs q7@174 ... I'm not sure how safe the former would feel, alone, crossing my A10 roundabout.
Audi does the same with their hybrids. The Q7 55 TFSIe petrol engine is significantly detuned compared to the 55 TFSI.
Power will be plenty honestly. How do people with poxy little hatchbacks survive?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes but total power output is more than the 330i.

It's not delivered in the same way though so it isn't as simple to just assume it'll be better than a 330i in any situation just because it has a higher total system output.

Power will be plenty honestly. How do people with poxy little hatchbacks survive?

This is a really strange point to make from somebody who has routinely not purchased the least powerful car in the range :confused:

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It's not delivered in the same way though so it isn't as simple to just assume it'll be better than a 330i in any situation just because it has a higher total system output.

This is a really strange point to make from somebody who has routinely not purchased the least powerful car in the range :confused:
A strange point to make is that a 330e running in EV mode will not be powerful enough to join a roundabout..
My Q7 certainly doesn't make swift progress when in EV mode, but the only time it's an issue is on a very steep section of motorway (exiting a tunnel) on my commute. Unless I accelerate a lot downhill, I can end up travelling under 50mph upon exit. However, trucks are driving even slower so it's hardly suicidal.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom