BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Oil temperature is more important though, and takes longer.
Curiously they omitted the oil temperature gauge from the OG M2. There is a temperature gauge but after researching its apparently some sort of calculation of coolant/oil so isn't reliable for checking oil temps.

It would be unreasonable to expect anyone to hit optimum oil temperature on every single journey. It doesn't even mention it in the handbook (which I read cover to cover recently on a boring train journey). I'm also taking care to do preventative maintenance outside of the rather long service schedules.

From my point of view I can't see it causing any major problems if I do a few short journeys every week, but if anyone has concrete and specific evidence to prove otherwise please let me know.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Curiously they omitted the oil temperature gauge from the OG M2. There is a temperature gauge but after researching its apparently some sort of calculation of coolant/oil so isn't reliable for checking oil temps.

It would be unreasonable to expect anyone to hit optimum oil temperature on every single journey. It doesn't even mention it in the handbook (which I read cover to cover recently on a boring train journey). I'm also taking care to do preventative maintenance outside of the rather long service schedules.

From my point of view I can't see it causing any major problems if I do a few short journeys every week, but if anyone has concrete and specific evidence to prove otherwise please let me know.
It's on the LCI, which a 2018 should be, which is why I mentioned it.

edit - I'm not criticising you, btw. As you said, it's just a car, not a Ferrari FXX so short journeys won't kill it of course. And if you can afford it and brings you joy, absolutely daily the M2 for the short commute! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A strange point to make is that a 330e running in EV mode will not be powerful enough to join a roundabout..

Fair enough, that was obviously not a sensible point. We'd started this point about the 330i before he said that though so I assumed it was a continuation of that :D

Last edited:
Reactions: mjt
Soldato
I also have a short commute and barely do any miles. So I bought a 2018 M2.

No regrets. Tech is old, it's noisy, uncomfortable and expensive. But I love it

In an ideal world I'd have an m340i as a daily alongside an M2 or maybe F80 M3, but I don't do enough miles to warrant two cars and that's an expensive driveway

I love this idea, but I’m so set on comfort and wafting now…! Think a proper M car would be awesome to experience and own, just probably not for me! Closest I’ve been is with the m140i

Associate
It's on the LCI, which a 2018 should be, which is why I mentioned it.

edit - I'm not criticising you, btw. As you said, it's just a car, not a Ferrari FXX so short journeys won't kill it of course. And if you can afford it and brings you joy, absolutely daily the M2 for the short commute! :D

Mine is an LCI. You're right, just checked the manual:

"The current oil temperature is shown in the instrument cluster. If the engine is at its optimum temperature, the display is in the centre position"

I'm sure I read somewhere else that it was oil and coolant temp combined somehow.

Soldato
The only real downside of the M340i against the rest of the range is the purchase price. They are considerably more expensive, especially if you want a reasonably high specification example.

But once you've got past that, the rest of the car is largely the same to run as the rest of the range. They are fuel efficient, the tyres cost the same as they do on the rest of the range, the servicing isn't much difference, etc.

I have xDrive and to be honest, I've been surprised - I didn't want it, I've never been a fan of it but with the M340i there was no choice but now I have it I never really notice its there. I am not sure I would go out of my way to get it in a car that was available as a rear wheel drive, though.

xDrive is not available on the 330i for some reason.

The thing to be aware of when buying a normal version of the 3 Series is that during the production issues between 2021 and 2022 a lot of the equipment was not available - for example, the head up display and the upgraded stereo was only available on the M340i - so if you find a late 2021 car with a technology pack you'll probably find it contains less than you'd hope.

If you are looking at 2019/2020 cars this won't be a problem but newer than that and this will become an issue for you.

I can never decide what I think about the plug in hybrid. I like the idea, but in practice I am not sure if I'd want to buy a used one. They existed for the company car market - which moved almost entirely to them from diesel in the 3 Series because of the way the tax worked on plug in hybrid cars. So, most will be former fleet cars and it may be difficult to find one in the specification you want. They are also more complex than the rest of the cars in the range so as time goes on I'd be increasingly more concerned about how reliable the hybrid system would end up being. The battery, for example, is not covered by the extended warranty.

I am not the only person who thinks this, so consequently the effect on the residual values has been quite noticeable. As a result, they are really quite cheap - perhaps cheap enough to be worth it. I don't know. I have a different opinion on these each time I think about them.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think lots of yours echo my own. Sometimes I like the idea of the e, and sometimes I think I should stick to i. I don’t like the idea of the added complexity to be honest.

Good to know about the packs and covid, didn’t think of that! I’ve been looking at 20/21 models… so some might be on the cusp.

Poverty spec ones do seem to sit slightly cheaper, or at least akin to 320i’s. Part of me thinks the worst of the depreciation is over… and realistically how low can a 3 series go. I don’t think I’d be in for any shocks in 3-5 years time when selling up. Famous last words I know.

Soldato
Need a bit of advice. Test drove the 240i at the weekend and loved it. Agreed on a spec I like and started the ball rolling on placing the order today.

Jumped on to the 2 series configurator this morning to make sure that I havent missed anything and the configurator has all changed now! New wheels, colours, packs, seats etc. The interior looks to have had a minor facelift as well. (Flat bottomed steering wheel etc)
The wheels I like (grey) are also not available anymore, only various different black options.

BMW have already sent me the order form on the spec I had agreed. If I place the order now I do you think I am going to run into issues with the spec not actually being available etc? The dealer has told me that the configurator is wrong and to ignore it but not sure I believe that!

Man of Honour
I wondered how long it would be before the M240i lost all the grey trim etc - the M340i lost it 2 years ago and I think that now leaves the M135i as the only M Performance car left with the original colour trim. Not sure why everything always has to have black trim these days? I really liked how the M Performance cars had the grey trim to set them apart from the rest of the range.

I would share your concern - depending on when the build is scheduled for your car I agree there is a risk it will be the newer version?

Soldato
I wondered how long it would be before the M240i lost all the grey trim etc - the M340i lost it 2 years ago and I think that now leaves the M135i as the only M Performance car left with the original colour trim. Not sure why everything always has to have black trim these days? I really liked how the M Performance cars had the grey trim to set them apart from the rest of the range.

I would share your concern - depending on when the build is scheduled for your car I agree there is a risk it will be the newer version?
Thanks, will do.

It seems that a lot of the items that were standard on the M240i are now extras. The steering wheel now has a centre red line as well which I am not a fan of at all! :(

Soldato
Thanks for the detailed reply! I think lots of yours echo my own. Sometimes I like the idea of the e, and sometimes I think I should stick to i. I don’t like the idea of the added complexity to be honest.

Good to know about the packs and covid, didn’t think of that! I’ve been looking at 20/21 models… so some might be on the cusp.

Poverty spec ones do seem to sit slightly cheaper, or at least akin to 320i’s. Part of me thinks the worst of the depreciation is over… and realistically how low can a 3 series go. I don’t think I’d be in for any shocks in 3-5 years time when selling up. Famous last words I know.

I don’t think the e is worth it used.

It’s no additional cost on warranty, but I don’t think that it’s worth taking on the risk.

The key selling point is that it has EV functionality for short journeys. But when the battery on a 50k mile car is already at 15 miles max charge, it kinda eliminates that value add.

In your boat I’d go 330i. Still well nippy and a decent engine.

I think you’d hate a 320i. Just doesn’t have enough torque if you’re used to a B58.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure about the 330i. They seem to be quite a bit more expensive than a 320i, meaning you get an older car for the money.

Either you care about performance, in which case get an M340i, or you do not, in which case the 320i is fine and good value.

I don't think it works for this particular usage but I think the best normal 3 Series is actually the 330d. Powerful, refined, 6 cylinders, very efficient. It's all the engine you ever need in a 3 Series really.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure about the 330i. They seem to be quite a bit more expensive than a 320i, meaning you get an older car for the money.

Either you care about performance, in which case get an M340i, or you do not, in which case the 320i is fine and good value.

I don't think it works for this particular usage but I think the best normal 3 Series is actually the 330d. Powerful, refined, 6 cylinders, very efficient. It's all the engine you ever need in a 3 Series really.

330i is quite a step up from a 320i, but still a fair chunk cheaper than an M340i.

Hence why I think it’d be the better option if OP can’t/doesn’t want to stretch to the 40i.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
330i is quite a step up from a 320i, but still a fair chunk cheaper than an M340i.

Hence why I think it’d be the better option if OP can’t/doesn’t want to stretch to the 40i.
I had a 320i Touring for a weekend once and honestly it felt under powered. Maybe the 320d "feels" quicker, if it isn't? (haven't looked at the specs)

Back
Top Bottom