BMW and M Power Owners

mjt

mjt

Soldato
That is typical M ownership unfortunately. I find electric car drivers the worst. Although they only want to race from the traffic lights. They never want to race on dual carriageways/ motorways, as they have rubbish top ends (or anything over 60mph tbh) :D
Can confirm :p

I used to think my i3S was quick (due to instant torques) - but having an M2 that pulls strongly at all speeds - you can really feel the difference!

Associate
I’d happily race you on a motorway
Well I don’t know what car you have? I’m just making the general point that electric car acceleration seems tail off around 60mph and the top end is usually slower.

Examples:

Volvos 99 mph

Polestar 100-130 mph

Ford mustang Mac e gt 120 mph

BMW i4 m50 130 mph

Tesla’s 140- 165 mph

Porsche taycan 140- 190 mph

My car (G87 m2) does 177 mph according to BMW. Although everyone on YouTube has hit 181 mph…

Last edited:
Reactions: mjt
Associate
That is typical M ownership unfortunately. I find electric car drivers the worst. Although they only want to race from the traffic lights. They never want to race on dual carriageways/ motorways, as they have rubbish top ends (or anything over 60mph tbh) :D

I guess this is also a good answer when someone asks the difference between M & Alpina, you can enjoy the same/similar performance but without such ungentlemanly challenges :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think I will have to see it in the flesh to judge how it looks but first impressions, I don’t like the bonnet, the grille isn’t too bad and is an improvement on the M3 snout but the car is very angular, would prefer it if they softened it a bit. Surprised they didn’t keep the v8 output the same as the F90 M5 comp

My neighbour's trying to get his hands on an M5 Touring. Honestly, when I saw the weight of the saloon, my heart sank. The touring will be around 2500kg wet, so I mean with family and everything, it'll be as heavy as my Q7. Total madness :(
-edit: Q7 hybrid is "only" 2500kg so it'll weigh the same :eek:

seems to be a strategy to increase the weight of the petrols with the emissions hybrid/mhev stuff, so that a pure electric doesn't seem too bad

[ to wit nicer grille - achilles quite complimentary of the audi competitor e-tron gt https://youtu.be/RuSxN0oiAOY?t=230 ]

That explains why all the thumbnails I've seen of the M5 reviews on YT are shots of the rear of the car :cry:

Easy to sum it up in one quote from reddit:

hEVrzdl.png

Man of Honour
The comparison with the 911 is not relevant, the M5 is capable of operating as a fully electric car and the 911 isn't. This is most of the reason for the extra weight.

Soldato
different markets for the 2 cars.

I agree with the decision on having electric only mode in a car that had to be a hybrid. Makes sense for the “stealth” super saloon.

The 911 isn’t a stealth car

Soldato
I don't believe anyone is saying that they are. Simply that of the approaches taken by the 2 companies, the Porsche one has far less of a compromise on vehicle dynamics.
Yeah cos its not taking 5 people on holiday!

Porsche dont have the space or platform bandwidth to offer such a battery even if they wanted to. Thats the compromise there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom